Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Rotorheads
Reload this Page >

search function problem??

Wikiposts
Search
Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them

Search this Thread

Old 4th Apr 2004, 10:38
dave_smith99

i think there is a problem with the search fucntion. i tried searching for all my previous posts and it doesnt seem to include threads that have been merged

for example i am in this thread

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthr...5&pagenumber=5

but searching for my id doesnt bring it up

?????

Old 4th Apr 2004, 11:46

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm.

Puzzling.

(I'll try to find out.)
Heliport
Old 4th Apr 2004, 13:00

PPRuNe Time

I have found that searching for user names in the general search spot (at the bottom of the forum page) is not successful. It seems to search the body of the texts posted, not the user names.

If you want to search for posts by username, there is a separate function to use. You go to "member list" at the top of the page, and then can search through alphanumerically until you find the user name on whose posts you want to do the search. Then if they have posted, there will be a place next to their name with a search button. Use that and you get all the posts for a particular user.

It can be a bit trying finding the user name, because of the huge number of users, and the bizarre names with numbers and symbols inserted etc making the normal alphabetical search a bit harder, because it is really an alphanumerical with symbols list.

I don't know the reasons, that's just the way I've found it best to do the searches.
Old 4th Apr 2004, 14:31
dave_smith99

i tried that. it still doesnt list posts in threads that have been merged

Old 4th Apr 2004, 16:13

PPRuNe Time

Sorry Dave, it seems I didn't read your post very carefully, or test my response with your thread.

Interestingly your identity on the thread that is not attributed to you seems to have slipped. You are shown as "Guest" and have no posts.

In fact, it seems like your identity was lost either for that post, or altogether for awhile. I notice your posts count now is about 4, and wonder if that is a true count, or whether your count was lost as part of the problem.

I have no idea what has caused the above, though I have seen other regulars with "guest" under their name, periodically. Perhaps Heliport will be able to come up with some answers. It certainly is odd.
Old 4th Apr 2004, 18:01

The boffins in the Technical Dept at PPRuNe Towers are aware of these features in the software. They may be corrected some time in the future but reindexing is a major task.

In the meantime .....

If you want to find one of your previous posts, I suggest you use the 'Search' button to search for some words you know are in the body of the post or are in the subject line of a thread. I use the search function frequently and, with the new server, it's very fast.

The number of posts recorded for some members is inaccurate. I'm afraid nothing can be done about that until the next reindexing takes place.

Heliport