Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Ground & Other Ops Forums > Medical & Health
Reload this Page >

The best pilot sunglasses

Medical & Health News and debate about medical and health issues as they relate to aircrews and aviation. Any information gleaned from this forum MUST be backed up by consulting your state-registered health professional or AME. Due to advertising legislation in various jurisdictions, endorsements of individual practitioners is not permitted.

Old 9th Nov 2003, 08:55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any source were we could see some comparison tests etc on this subject? I would like to see scientific, unbiased data.

Cheers
Old 11th Nov 2003, 05:49

Moderatrix
Test Pilot for Annick Goutal

Taking a bit of edit license here and posting Moderator Bad Medicine's reply to an earlier thread.
"Sunglasses are a topic dear to the heart of aviators. There are a number of factors which determine the suitability or otherwise of sunglasses for use in the aviation role.

Narrow frames that carry large lenses are the most desirable from a field of view standpoint. The most critical problem with frames arises from the presence of wide sidearms which can significantly impair the peripheral visual field.

Lenses should not be too dark, and should transmit at least 15% of incident light. The tint used should be "neutral density"
(N.D.), that is, a greyish tint that does not distort colour perception. Much has been written about the perceived benefits of various coloured lenses, especially in regard to contrast and perceived brightness. Coloured lenses have been shown to reduce the colour information received, and to have a detrimental effect on both perception and reaction time.

Lenses of polycarbonate material are preferred because of their impact-resistance and ability to absorb ultra-violet and infra-red rays. However, these lenses can scratch easily. Harder materials may be suitable, however these may be more prone to shattering in an impact.

Different jurisdictions and countries have standards to which sunglasses are manufactured. Sunglasses should be chosen which conform to the appropriate standard. For example, the current Australian Standard ensures that sunglasses meet acceptable standards for lens quality, frame strength and lens retention and also ensures that sunglasses provide adequate protection from solar radiation.

Polarising sunglasses should not be used when flying. The polarising filter interacts with the cockpit transparency to produce a distorted and degraded visual image. This effect can also be seen with laminated car windscreens. Better keep the polarised lenses for fishing.

Pilots who wear prescription spectacles can choose from a number
of options for glare protection. Prescription sunglasses with N.D.15 lenses can be obtained, or N.D.15 clip-on or flip-up sunglasses may be worn over prescription spectacles.

Back to the original issue of photochromatic lenses. Photochromatic lenses have several disadvantages that render them unsuitable for use by pilots.

Firstly, their transition times are relatively slow. Photochromatic lenses take about five minutes to increase their density to the level of sunglasses, but more importantly, the bleaching time from maximum to minimum density can be as long as 30 minutes. Although there is a rapid lightening of the lens in the first five minutes, this may be too long when there is a sudden variation in light during a descent into or under cloud, or because of a rapid change in cloud cover.

Their second disadvantage is that, even when fully bleached, photochromic lenses still absorb slightly more light than untinted lenses. Since vision is critically dependent on ambient light levels, even this small decrease of light reaching the eye through photochromatic lenses is undesirable, especially at night or in low light levels. The inherent degradation of these lenses with time causes them to progressively become darker, as they become unable to reach the fully bleached state. This effectively prohibits their use in flying or controlling air traffic.

I hope that "sheds some light" on the subject.

Cheers,

BM"
Old 11th Nov 2003, 08:16

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks Hawk,

I was just getting to that. Not much scientific evidence unfortunately, but the principles are pretty well established.

Cheers,

BM
Old 11th Nov 2003, 08:55

personally i swear by oakley minutes. i know not very scientific, but just shedding my two pence worth. Reduces the glare to an absolute minimum, yet still let more than enough light through. I find they are especially good when the sun is very low on the horizon. Use them for flying all the time even when there is minimal sunlight they help me see better and spot many features (when flying vfr) that i couldn't possibly see when i lift them up. (except when there is no sun). I even use them when driving. Oh and they look good too
Old 11th Nov 2003, 09:54

Moderatrix
Test Pilot for Annick Goutal

OK Bad Med..I jumped in as I thought you might be vroom..vrooming around the countryside in your little helicopter.
Old 11th Nov 2003, 11:21

I'matightbastard

Unscientific, but I love my Serrengettis. Comfortable, good depth perception and something to do with the blue end of the spectrum that I've forgotten.

Just one thing though, don't wear them and then stick your head out of the window of a 182 - at least, if you do...don't turn and look behind you
Old 12th Nov 2003, 06:56

Another good thing about Serengeti's is that they don't distort the colours of the various displays in a Glass cockpit aircraft.
Old 12th Nov 2003, 10:56

My latest pair of Serengettis have a titanium frame and are darker at the top than the bottom of the lens. Ideal in the Airbus. But I've been thru a few pairs as the frames are a bit on the light side - easily crushed (even with the most careful handling).
Old 15th Nov 2003, 02:19

Used Serengetti's for ten years now. I'm in the enviable position of being able to try them all.

Strip flying, gliding and flying a glass cockpit with HUD - I stick with them after trialling all the others in the aircraft for extended periods.

That said - we all know many reading will be more interested in fashion

Regards
Rob
Old 15th Nov 2003, 02:31

Cool

For fifteen years I have sworn by Oakleys, who have consistently had a clear lead in lens quality and UV A/B and IR cancellation scales. I lost my last pair sailing in an almightly wipe-out on a 14 foot skiff, and found my new pair at Sunglass Hut at Denver. They are by Maui, model MJ408-02, fully polarized with a polycarbonate frame that I can bend inside out and sit on in the cockpit without worry of damage. Whatsmore, they fit incredibly well under the earcups of the headset, being flexible, and the vision change from panel to the real world is painless due to the correct tinting (for my eyes anyhow). If it hadn't been for a delayed flight I would have stuck to Oakleys (which I still wear when sailing and skiing due to the close face fit)

Hope it helps

Old 15th Nov 2003, 22:57

I swear by my Serengetti glasses as well. Mine are expensive corrective lenses. The tinting is excellent and cuts the UV haze and are a real 'plus' when flying approaches down to minimums.

Polarised lenses do not work in Boeing airplanes as the windshields are polarised. The combination of polarised lenses and the windows creates 'black spots'.
Old 16th Nov 2003, 03:57

Serengetti's with the Drivers gradient lense are brilliant on EFIS aircraft.

I've got the Lassen frames which have a wrap around shape which prevents light entering in at the sides, unlike the flatter Aviator frames which were designed to be worn with helmets.

Got them off the internet for $115, best buy I've ever made!
Old 17th Nov 2003, 19:53

I stick on my big, blueish Revo. Very expensive, but for what I am concerned, the best lenses available. Lost the first pair, found the same in Verona for E170, it was a steal of USD 275 at Sunglass Hut in Miami, some months ago.
Anyway, a hard to find item.
Old 7th Dec 2003, 21:20

If I may add my 'two penn'orth' to this now unscientific debate, I have to agree with several of the previous posters regarding Serengeti Eyeware.

As a previously 'died in the wool' Ray Ban user, I was given the opportunity to try a pair of Serengeti Lassen sunglasses belonging to a colleague, and I was hooked. I now own a pair of Serengeti Velocity Titanium glasses, with Drivers Gradient lenses. These are photochromic (go lighter and darker with less or more light), graduated so that the bottom portion is lighter...excellent for glancing at the instruments, wrap around so avoiding light leakage at the side (a problem with my Ray Ban Aviators) and coated with a filter which removes the nasty part of the light spectrum that causes damage.

Since using these glasses I have been really impressed with them and find myself squinting less at altitude above cloud and it is so much easier to read the EFIS screens. Colleagues of mine have tried them and bought some (I wish I had shares!).

They come with a beefy case which can withstand most of what hits it at the bottom of my bag. The downside is that they aren't cheap (RRP £170 ish) but try them out in a High Street chain store like Sunglass Hut and then buy them online for big savings (particularly from the States). I bought mine from E Bay. Ultimately, what price do you put on your eyesight? These are good enough to be NASA's official sunglasses of choice, for astronauts.

Have a look:

http://www.serengeti-eyewear.com/dri...gradient_1.htm
Old 11th Dec 2003, 23:29

Fullforward, didn't I read somewhere that choice of suglasses, is like choice of dog food.....quality isn't actually related to price.

I'm no expert, but I've got good vision and a fat dog.

Is their any science behind the choice of sunspecs?
Old 29th Sep 2004, 15:28

Stop Stop Stop - thanks for the advice will ditch Ray-Ban and have just ordered a new pair of Serengeti Lassens! Will post my verdict in a couple of days. At least there is always plenty of sunshine here in the "sunshine" state!

Update - the Serengeti's work very well in the aircraft, all instruments remain very clear and the harmful rays appear to be blocked out nicely. Out of the 'office' the tint does not seem dark enough for the Florida sunshine. (This may be due to being used to much darker Oakleys - which are not a lot of use in the aircraft!) The build quility is excellent and the storage case is very smart and offers a great deal of protection. I would definitely recomment the Seregeti's for flying.

Last edited by newflyer; 4th Oct 2004 at 13:29.
Old 29th Mar 2005, 13:42

Where to buy Serengetis

Lots of people have been posting on this and many other sunglasses discussions that Serengetis are an excellent brand for the cockpit. However, I am struggling to find a shop in the UK that stocks them. Like suggested, I shall probably buy them over the net from the states to save a few pounds but would prefer to try on a few pairs before shelling out for a pair.

Does anyone know of anywhere that stocks them on the UK high street?
Old 29th Mar 2005, 15:08

Sunglass hut found at most UK airports stock Sereneti glasses.

Hope you locate some

SF
Old 29th Mar 2005, 18:49

Really? I was in a Sunglasses Hut the other day and was told that the UK stores no longer stocked them. You know of anywhere else? Guessing a trip to Central London is on the cards to find somewhere.
Old 29th Mar 2005, 19:29

I definately saw a selection of Serengeti sunglasses in Sunglass hut in Glasgow Airport no more than 10 days ago, but not anywhere else!
SF

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.