Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

A Day in the life of Air Corp/RAF/NAvy Pilots

Wikiposts
Search
Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

A Day in the life of Air Corp/RAF/NAvy Pilots

Search this Thread

Old 21st Mar 2007, 17:28

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Aaaaaargh!! I knew I would do that to myself! Fair cop, I'll get my coat!
Old 21st Mar 2007, 20:26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fray Bentos
You're absolutely right. How could I possibly have the audacity to post? I apologise unreservedly for any offence caused.
Nob.

Try looking at people's Profiles and maybe their previous posts before assuming they're not qualified to comment
Old 21st Mar 2007, 20:57

TAC Int Bloke

Is it a helicopter or an helicopter PS?

Still not taking the anti-grouchy pills?
Old 21st Mar 2007, 21:07

I started to take so many, I built up a resistance.

As far as my day is concerned, I have to be rude as the reality makes paint drying look like the Swedish U21s Girls Nude Mud Wrestling Championships.
Old 21st Mar 2007, 22:16

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Wessex, I was on 144 AAITC.
It is possible that Roland meant strangely correct punctuation; ie punctuation which, strangely, is correct.

Last edited by J.A.F.O.; 21st Mar 2007 at 22:20. Reason: Or even punctuation which is, strangely, correct.
Old 22nd Mar 2007, 09:10

Jafo,
so you were probably about 15-16 weeks into Groundschool, and living in the strange village of ex-married quarters when I started AAITC then?

So it was you pointing and laughing whenever we ran past with a sand-filled 5 gallon oil can above our heads?
Old 22nd Mar 2007, 09:19

Blimey,

What a thread. Shame about some of the pretentious types though, who manage to be both offensive and patronising at the same time. My advice to any with a genuine question is not to ask it, as this PPRUNE forum, will apparently, cynically rip you to tiny pieces....

Wonder if AARSE will take me back.....
Old 22nd Mar 2007, 23:12

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Wessex Boy
See the newly rejuvenated Gatehouse
Old 23rd Mar 2007, 12:45

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it too late to save this thread by attempting to answer the original question, ignoring the linguistic talents (or otherwise) of its author?

I think, Fray, there is no short answer to your question - each service, and each fleet of aircraft makes different demands upon its people (aircrew and otherwise), and you'd need to hear from all sorts of people to get a full answer.

I can only speak for SAR, as that's what I do: we're in work for 24 hours at a time (if we're not called out at night, we do get to sleep, as we drop our response time from 15 mins to 45). We (ie the duty crew) get 4 hours training flying a day, which we use as we see fit, to practise our various skills by day and night, and then just when you're not expecting it you get tasked to a job and your best-laid plans for night wets or whatever go out the window (shame!). In between flying, there is plenty of time to tackle other duties you're given (running the tea-bar and all the other standard chores), not to mention keeping up your knowledge of the job by reading/revising manuals etc, or if you're on top of all your triv - or just feeling idle - you can watch TV, mess around on PPrune etc. There are also other things which take up your time - ground running aircraft to help the engineers, showing visitors around (air cadets, film crews, old boys, Mrs Miggins' Pogo-ing Pensioners etc etc), and so time passes rather too quickly most days.

Like I said, you'd have to ask other people what life is like on other fleets. The beauty of SAR (one of the many beauties of SAR, I should say!) is that we are the only fleet (correct me if I'm wrong, anyone?) where the crew alone decide exactly what flying we do and when, with no external influence - it gives us an amazing degree of freedom to do what we want, unconstrained by someone else's programme or tasking sheet. Long may it continue...
Old 23rd Mar 2007, 12:53

Fantastic!!! The SH v SAR thread rides again!!

I can almost hear Talking Radalt's bile rising.....
Old 23rd Mar 2007, 13:07

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fantastic!!! The SH v SAR thread rides again!!
I know - good, isn't it?!

Another victory brewing for the SAR heroes, no doubt.

P.S. SARMonkey - will you have my babies?
Old 23rd Mar 2007, 14:16

SH Vs SAR

Can this thread now be linked to both Military Aircrew and Rotorhead threads? We don't want the SARboys getting scared by the word military.
Old 23rd Mar 2007, 17:05

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Maple 01

Is it a helicopter or an helicopter PS?

Never mind the use of the indefinite article (although "an" before an "h" is somewhat old-fashioned English usage), according to PS's profile (which he encouraged others to read) the word is actually "helicopeter"!

Jack

PS (as in postscript, not Professional Student) I can't help noticing that there seems to be no input from either the FAA nor the AAC in response to the OP -too busy or too idle?
Old 23rd Mar 2007, 17:36

I believe the word "Helicopeter" was first seen in AP3456 (or some such tome) during the 60s and as such was quite often used when I first joined up (at least by the old farts - of which I am now one I suppose).

As far as the indefinite article is concerned, I suppose as "helicopeter" is an old word, I should change my profile to "an" in order make it a little more contemporary.

Or I could just not bother...
Old 23rd Mar 2007, 18:06
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
PS, sorry, AP129 Flying and it was HECOPLETER.
Old 11th Apr 2007, 15:53

An AAC flavoured Day

FC608. May I offer something sent from an AAC colleague.
I know I am in the Army Air Corps but Sandhurst may have done something:
I wouldn't dream of buying a shirt with either a breast pocket or button cuffs....

All of my food has to be prepared by a chef because I'm incapable of cooking anything that can't either be boiled in a bag or eaten cold....

I don't trust any woman to iron my kit because, deep down, my ironing is better....

I wouldn't dream of polishing a pair of shoes or boots with just one brush. There has to be a separate 'on' and 'off' brushes....

I think that a check shirt (tucked in), chinos and brown shoes (and may be a v-neck sweater) looks 'casual' on anyone under the age of 40....

I own a 'Sports jacket' made of the hi-tech wicking, breathable, waterproof fabric known as tweed....

I point using my whole hand in a karate chop motion....

My civvy acquaintances understand little of the terminology I use such as 'no dramas', 'squared away' etc; I don't have any civvy mates....

I think that anyone who isn't in the Army has 'Stinking chat'....

People in prison have more contact with women than I do....

I feel guilty about wearing jeans in front of senior officers....

I never use anyone's first name, only their surname or surname based nickname such as 'Smithy', 'Jonesy' or 'Strangely Browny'....

I am under the impression that I can get away with showing 'moral courage' in everyday life, without getting the sh*t kicked out of me by some neanderthal for interfering in his domestic....

I secretly quite like 'cutting about' in uniform in places I really shouldn't....

I use the phrase 'cutting about'....

I can't watch programmes such as 'Ultimate Force' without giving a running commentary along the lines of "He didn't forward assist" or "Look at the state of Ross Kemp's webbing"....

I wouldn't dream of using Kiwi liquid polish....

I have to stop work at 10am for tea and cakes or else I might not make it to lunch....

I think not shaving is a treat....

I get really irritated when people I don't know call me 'mate'....

At least half of my DVD collection are war movies....

Even though my disposable income is twice that of a civvy I still manage to spend it all, every month, with nothing to show for it, about a week after I've told all my men that I can't believe how much money they waste on the p1ss'....

I now hate corned beef hash, in any form....

Whenever I spell something out I use the phonetic alphabet....

The sight of rolling countryside makes me scan for 'enemy depth'....

I dismiss anyone who might be better than me at something by stating that they're 'Sh*t with weight on'....

I see no problem with eating every meal for a week with the same spoon that I licked clean and kept in the pocket of the shirt I have worn all week....

I have flashbacks of being wet, cold and miserable whenever I see a Yorkie....

Nothing soldiers do shocks me any more, but I think nothing of risking perjury by stating in court that 'Soldier X is a great bloke with a promising career' despite the fact that he's as guilty as a puppy sitting next to a pile of poo....

I may be vague when people ask me what I do for a living....

However I do recognise some aircrew traits: I always use the 24 hour clock, I come out in a cold sweat if I am still working after lunch on a Friday and I find that the conversation somehow always comes back round to me.