Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Misc. Forums > Passengers & SLF (Self Loading Freight)
Reload this Page >

BA Baggage rules change again

Wikiposts
Search
Passengers & SLF (Self Loading Freight) If you are regularly a passenger on any airline then why not post your questions here?

BA Baggage rules change again

Search this Thread

Old 27th Oct 2007, 21:52
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Angel Surf is down

Two clear points have emerged. Points that we all know to be true but worth remembering when the temperature rises:
  1. Much airport infrastructure is maybe 20 years (or more) old and the possibility to upgrade may rest with politicians (local or national) who do not have the stomach to start a programme that will not bring benefits until after they have left office. If the airport is owned by a commercial company (we can all think of at least one example ) then they do not want to put in money when they cannot know how long it will take them to get their money back - because of regulations!
  2. The accountants are running the airlines (and the airports too) and they have 100% difficulty in spending money on something that will 'bring customer benefits' of the kind that cannot be measured. In this, they are not alone. I am currently watching a UK national chain (nothing to do with airlines) doing the same thing - boosting profits whilst reducing customer satisfaction.
Now, just to cheer you up ... another news report about changed baggage regulations by BA.

Surfboard ban aboard all BA flights

The Independent By Emily Dugan Published: 26 October 2007

The Beach Boys would not be pleased. In a decision that threatens that great hippy institution, the surfing safari, British Airways (BA) have announced they are banning surfboards from all their flights. [edit] as BA will not allow any surfboards on their flights from 6 November.

The surfing community is up in arms, pointing out that other sporting equipment, such as snowboards, bicycles and skis are still allowed. But the airline says that the fibreglass boards, which often weigh less than 4kg, and are usually about six foot long, are too large to take on their planes. Also banned for their size are windsurfing boards and sails, kayaks and javelins.

[EDIT]
Here is the REALLY amusing bit:
The news comes as a particular blow to the British surf team, who have always used BA to transport them on their tours and competitions. Karen Wolton, national director of the BSA, said: "I don't know what will happen in cases where only BA fly to a country. You can't arrive for a competition and wait around two weeks for your board to arrive by courier, and each board is designed specially for its rider, so it's not a case where you could just pick up another one abroad.

"We're very disappointed. The BSA has always travelled with British Airways, and we've always recommended them, because until now they used to let people take boards on as part of their baggage allowance. I can see no rational reason for continuing to carry skis, snowboards and golf clubs, and not carrying surfboards. I really don't understand, except that I assume the expensive seats are sold to people who play golf rather than surf."

The article continues ...
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/tra...cle3098866.ece

OK everyone, start the thread all over again

(Sorry, Bealine as you have been a good supporter of the customer but it looks as if your accountants have just made another brilliant decision.)
Old 28th Oct 2007, 09:11
Final 3 Greens

Bealine

BA doesn't care about me.

I gave up on BA after my suitcase got seriously damaged on a trip to Brussels and the BA groundstaff wouldn't offer any assistance. That on a £444 club ticket.

That following on the pax abuse that arose from the Gate Gourmet dispute and disruption by threatened or actual strikes for the previous 2-3 years. then the baggage lottery (mine got misplaced at London earlier in the year) and finally the CC strike this year.

I couldn't care less whether BA survives, its a rotten airline experience these days and I generally avoid it.

As to 3 x 21 kgs, that sounds sensible to me; I have never checked more than 25 kgs personally, but there are those pax who wish to.

Old 1st Nov 2007, 10:54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As long as they ban golf clubs as well, then it's fair. Unfortunately the Wuperts and Wodneys will need something to do when they go away, but hey, golf is OK for business traveller, and it doesn't matter a d@mn who suffers (I speak as an ex diver whose kit weighed less than golf clubs, but they got free carriage and I didn't)
Old 1st Nov 2007, 12:38

(I speak as an ex diver whose kit weighed less than golf clubs, but they got free carriage and I didn't)
Strictly speaking, golf clubs were never carried free. The baggage allowance was increased for someone taking golf clubs to from 23kgs to 30kgs and any excess should have been charged at 50% of the full rate.

Then the accountants saw fit to simplify and say "one piece of baggage plus one piece of sporting equipment" (which I would have said applied to your diving kit).

As for the Surf Board bit, I can see why our Big Chiefs have gone down this road - in Terminal 5, we want as many pax as possible ready to drop bags and go without fiddling and fannying around sorting out excess baggage charges and dropping oversize items at Out of Gauge belts and such-like. The new baggage system is geared up for semi-automation and items like surf boards, windsurfers and canoes are just incompatible traffic!

The trouble is, British Airways has been an airline that was all things to all people. The likes of EasyJet and SilverJet have come along "cherry-picking" the easiest customers to deal with or making the awkward ones pay through the nose for excess baggage. To compete on a level playing field, Auntie BA must adapt - this is what "Future Size and Shape" was all about!

I might not agree with what we're doing, but by God, I understand it!
Old 1st Nov 2007, 12:50
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Thanks for that bealine, always good to have your input. The input:
... sorting out excess baggage charges and dropping oversize items at Out of Gauge belts and such-like. The new baggage system is geared up for semi-automation and items like surf boards, windsurfers and canoes are just incompatible traffic!
is illuminating. They are starting off a spanking new terminal and wish to NOT cater for sporting gear? Someone needs a spanking!!!
Old 1st Nov 2007, 13:21

The trouble is, British Airways has been an airline that was all things to all people.
This was what made BA "the worlds favorite airline".....Note the past tense as you yourself used it too...
The likes of EasyJet and SilverJet have come along "cherry-picking" the easiest customers to deal with or making the awkward ones pay through the nose for excess baggage.
And the reason BA are losing customers is because they are forgetting the difference there used to be between them and every other airline, ie they used to care about their passengers, and do their utmost to accomodate them and fix problems - now they dont give a t##s, and so pax are going elsewhere because they can easy (pun!) find another airline that will not give a t##s .....
I've been flying to/from/for work etc almost 10years now (where did the time go!!) and I have to say that when I started flying around BA was at the top of my prefered airline/route list and there wasnt any competition to speak of for that spot....BA definitely isnt at the top of the list now, and unfortunately it isnt because the other airlines got much better!! tHeifrow being the transfer point has not helped either!!
Regards, SD..
Old 1st Nov 2007, 13:24

Hi PaxBoy - I think it's probably more to do with the gradual shedding of jobs in baggage after the abysmal Gate Gourmet strike action a couple of years ago. I have a strong feeling that WW and his chums are taking steps to ensure that in the new terminal, if there was a walkout, it's effect would be minimal!

........and, for once, I understand what our Senior Management is up to (and it's not often, I admit, but since Willie Walsh appeared on the scene, I find myself empathising more and more with Board Level decisions.) Maybe it's because WW appears to always be open and up front and makes sure the staff know what is going on! We've not been used to this before!
Old 1st Nov 2007, 15:04

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts
But BA do such funny things! I had a Gold 'upgrade for 2'. Tried to use it to go to Oz and Kiwi. No flights available for 2, but could book Club and use the upgrade for 1 person. Could also use miles to book on the same flight in 1st for the other person! Now if there were seats avaliable for 2 people using miles, albeit in different ways, why not for 2 upgrading?

Still, first class to Oz and back for 2 people for under £500 and miles isn't too bad...the only snag is that we have to go through LHR!
Old 1st Nov 2007, 17:44

F3G

As to 3 x 21 kgs, that sounds sensible to me; I have never checked more than 25 kgs personally, but there are those pax who wish to.

Absolutely, unfortunately the US carriers with thier 'piece' rules rather than 'kg' rules will not buy into this concept.

e.g.
If a couple travelling on a US carrier reduce their individual bag weights by having an extra bag they get done for excess baggage because they exceed their piece limit; even though their total weight remains the same.

Even IATA failed to get any movement from the US on this. Trying to get global agreement has been a very challenging task; we can control all the outbound from the UK and other like minded countries - no matter what the carrier rules; but need co-operation for the inbound.
Old 2nd Nov 2007, 19:20

Are the max. weight recommendations (or regulations) any different when loading freight onto a passenger flight as opposed to baggage.
Old 2nd Nov 2007, 21:17

The recommendations and regulations are absolutely no different - EC Regulations state that 25kgs is the maximum that should be lifted unaided by one person.

Any item that is over 25kgs should be clearly marked with a green line around the entire circumference and girth and a label affixed clearly showing the weight.

This is actually anomalous because, although it is applied in the freight sector, and has been since the late 1970's, it doesn't actually state that it is only for freight. Legally, it could be construed to apply equally to passenger's baggage or to any item purchased in the shops! (I noticed IKEA have warning notices for heavy items inviting customers to ask for assistance and that the weights of the items are very clearly marked on their cartons.)

As has been stated, the reason airlines in the EC are so scared to implement the regulations are because US carriers will not comply. I think the enforcement will come when one of the relevant Trades Unions takes the issue to the European courts.
Old 2nd Nov 2007, 21:28

If you are interested in the HSE stance on Manual Handling:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg383.pdf
Old 3rd Nov 2007, 20:57

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts
It's time bealine was running BA - then I believe, we'd see customer care coming to the front! Of course, bealine would have to manage on WW's salary.......