Wikiposts
Search
Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

LUTON - 5

Search this Thread

Old 16th Mar 2007, 09:31

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luton needs to be very careful about driving corporate aviation away,there,s not much value to be had out of a loco airliner full of low-net worth indivuals paying peanuts and not much in the way of airfield revenue other than what the punters spend in the shops.Gulfstream consider Cambridge or Southend which are not (and are unlikely to be) bunged up with the plague of the loco airlines.Your bespoke service to passengers of real worth can continue unabated and most probably with less hassle to your clients.
Old 16th Mar 2007, 12:26

This slot regulation has been public knowledge for quite a while now. It is just a fact of having an airfield below such a congested airspace. GA still operates out of LHR, LGW & STN. Harrods are investing more into Luton this year so at doesn't look like a major issue. It's life and just has to be worked with at a busy 24x7 airport.
Old 16th Mar 2007, 20:07

Grrr

I was told that the new Zurich service was using an A319? How can this be true as Luton is not an Airbus base and the first departure is at 07:00, well before the domestic A319's arrive.

I doubt if executive flights needing slots will be too much of an issue especially as the airport is likely to suffer negative passenger growth for the next financial year.

If Wizz get to like Stansted, there might be even more slot availability?
Old 16th Mar 2007, 22:37

Luton needs to be very careful about driving corporate aviation away...Gulfstream consider Cambridge or Southend which are not (and are unlikely to be) bunged up with the plague of the loco airlines
LTN is not "...driving corporate aviation away", the stage of coordination to be adopted for GA is still voluntary in that there's no penalty for operating outside the agreed slot. Neither Cambridge nor Southend are viable alternatives to LTN (or STN), both of which are 24/7 Category 3 equipped airfields.
Old 17th Mar 2007, 06:55

Grrr

I know that I am a bit daft, but what is the purpose of a 'voluntary' slot application, if the allocated time is of no actual significance?
Old 17th Mar 2007, 08:20

Ebenezer

Southend is certainly H24/7 and, although only Category 1 ILS, has a far better Wx record than Luton which offsets that disadvantage somewhat.

There is rumour that NetJets are looking to set up a base at SEN, perhaps with engineering, so I don't think it's quite the non-starter that you suggest.
Old 18th Mar 2007, 09:16

I know that I am a bit daft, but what is the purpose of a 'voluntary' slot application?
An interesting and valid question - presumably, the corporate operators will be monitored for runway slot compliance and if it's proved to be poor, then the next stage of Coordination i.e. compulsory, will be adopted?
There is rumour that NetJets are looking to set up a base at SEN, perhaps with engineering, so I don't think it's quite the non-starter that you suggest.
Interesting - since Netjets' company policy is always to operate inside controlled airspace where this is available (even to the extent of routeing between London/City or Northolt and Stansted or Luton)...
As for engineering, what's this got to do with the choice of destination that the punter wants to fly to?
Old 18th Mar 2007, 11:36

I wasn't suggesting that the possibility of a NetJets engineering base at SEN has anything to do with "the choice of destination that the punter wants to fly to." They may simply be looking for an engineering base in the London area and would position aircraft to and from there. That would make sense surely.

By the way, I believe that NetJets do operate revenue sectors out of SEN at the moment so I don't believe that it being outside controlled airspace would be necessarily a negative factor.
Old 18th Mar 2007, 16:38

>I know that I am a bit daft, but what is the purpose of a 'voluntary' slot application?

If indeed this is more to do with parking space then the slot may be to control the number of aircraft, not the operating time so much.
Old 19th Mar 2007, 21:16

Based Aircraft for this summer
easyJet 17 x B737
Monarch 2 x A320, 2 x A321
Ryanair 4 x B738
Thomsonfly 2 x B757, 1 x B738
Silverjet 1x B762 (another 2 added later this year)
First Choice 1x A320
Old 22nd Mar 2007, 11:27

Based Aircraft for this summer...
Wizzair is still looking to base x 2 A320s overnight for early morning departures. The second of Silverjet's B767-200s is due in the first week of July.
As expected, pax figures for Feb continued in the negative at 616,291.This was down 2.6% on Feb 2005. The fall however, was not as shocking as the 5% fall experienced in January but still makes for dismal reading.
Unless Luton Borough Council comes to its senses over the negotiations with ACDL/LLAO, it's looking like investment in LTN will drop to a mere 'care and maintenance' level, any further expansion of services will cease, and gradually passenger throughput will decline as the operators go elsewhere. The only saving grace at present is STN's delayed development - but once this is given the go-ahead and peak-time capacity there begins to increase, the writing will be on the wall for LBC and its airport...
Old 22nd Mar 2007, 17:48

LTN-JER to continue throughout W07/W08 @ 3x wky with Thomsonfly.
Old 25th Mar 2007, 12:00

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Apparently Silverjets new B767 may not be ready in time. Thomson have found a lot of corrosion. Boeing's engineers have looked at it and it could cost up to £3 million to repair!
Old 25th Mar 2007, 13:55

Boeing Team over l am told, Check will over run by about 5 weeks, so looks like it will be late.

Thread continued in: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=269514