Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Ground & Other Ops Forums > Engineers & Technicians
Reload this Page >

Mechanic sucked into 737 at George Bush Intercontinental

Wikiposts
Search
Engineers & Technicians In this day and age of increased CRM and safety awareness, a forum for the guys and girls who keep our a/c serviceable.

Mechanic sucked into 737 at George Bush Intercontinental

Search this Thread

Old 17th Jan 2006, 22:04

Location: Slaving away in front of multiple LCDs, somewhere in the USA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The local media have released the name of the mechanic killed in yesterday's incident at ELP, and his name was Donald Gene Buchanan, 64.

In lieu of posting condolences here on Pprune (which those who could benefit from the extended sympathies will probably not see), those who are so inclined might want to send a card to:

The Buchanan Family
c/o Julie's Aircraft Service, Inc.
El Paso International Airport
6805 Boeing Drive
El Paso, TX 79925 USA

If you have qualms about sending a card to someone who isn't family or a friend, then by all means don't. If as a member of the aviation community and human race you feel compelled to express your sympathies, especially given the horrific nature of the gentleman's passing, you now have the means to do so.

As someone said on another board, "We were so sorry to hear of your loss...That's all one needs to hear." "Can't hurt. Might help."

I hope it does...
Old 17th Jan 2006, 22:53

A similar event happened on a Ryanair 737 a couple of years ago in which an engineer lost part of an arm. You should be able to find the report on www.aaiu.ie
Old 19th Jan 2006, 10:38

Sympathies to all involved in this horrific event and the family of Mr Buchanan.

got this from the KFOX website...

KFOX spoke with a professor of mechanical engineering at UTEP who tried to explain what may have caused the tragic accident.

"Obviously the only way that could happen is if someone revved the motor or accelerated the motor and I mean basically what you got there is a hurricane in front of that motor, you know hurricanes are 100 miles an hour. You're going to have that same amount of air flowing through that motor," said Gary Hawkins, a professor in UTEP's Mechanical Engineering Department

I thought professors were clever people.

Apparently the poor guy was trying to catch his hat which had blown off his head! I guess it's a reflex action and probably unbalanced him. It doesn't bear thinking about.
Old 20th Jan 2006, 23:16

A tragic event indeed.

I don't want to appear heartless, but was curious as to what state the engine would be in after such an event.

I persume damage would be so severe as to render the engine a write off?
Old 21st Jan 2006, 17:58

Received 208 Likes on 116 Posts
"I persume damage would be so severe as to render the engine a write off?"

Not necessarily booke23, however I have heard stories of engines being buried with(as) the remains in the past. Probably hypochrophyl (sp).

R.I.P. Donald

There for the grace of............
Old 21st Jan 2006, 19:04

deepest sympathies to donalds family and frends R.I.P

TIME AND TIME AGAIN ground crew get to close to engiens that power up above idle it scares me cr@p less when the flight crew do a cross blead people take a risk get to close and its over in a flash ... you will all remember the mantinace person that was killed in moscow last year doing the same thing. it sadens me when somthing like this happens.

everyone please think before doing something dont take the risk

be safe rampman
Old 25th Jan 2006, 14:48

Presumably one can't feel the sudden onset of overwhelming force with enough warning to get out of the way? or is the increase of flow of air gradual and errors of judgement made about how close you can go.

Creaser
Old 21st Feb 2006, 19:23

Hi,
During engine run-up jet at the gate or the terminal, jet engine power is restricted to "idle" ONE engine at a time for a maximum of FIVE minutes.
Is this statement true?
-Certain engines have the gearbox and accessories under the reverse cowls which can't be opened while the engine is running. How the leak check is performed (let's say the leakage in under the reverse cowls area and the leakage is not static)? Is it difficult to localize a leak in this case?
How the leak check is performed If the gearbox and some accessories are installed on the fan case?
-Is it permissible to perform run-up engine while the fan cowls are open (engine at idle and above idle)? is it permissible for AMT to be around engine especially the fan case (with cowls open) above idle?
-Does the red warning stripe on the cowls indicate the hazard area during idle run-up or above idle? Is the red warning stripe located on the fan cowls or the reverse cowls?
-If during engine run-up the mechanic can't see the red warning stripe because the cowls are open (I hope this is true), is the practise of connecting a safety harness at certain points under the cowls standart for all engines?
Are there a painted lines on the engine run-up remote area (on the floor) to show the mechanic the hazard areas (mechanic under open cowls)?
-Some AMTs don't feel comfortable when performing manual start (start valve opened manually), is it because of the fear of starter desintegration if pilots forget (or delay) shutting the engine start system, OR because the start valve is located in the fan case (at the front of fan case for certain engines like CFM-56) so close the engine inlet? (the start valve is closed at 55% N2 in CFM-56 which is pretty high compared to 35 or 38% N2 in JT8D in the B 737- 200 or B 727.
Feedback appreciated. Thank you.
Best regards.
Old 21st Feb 2006, 19:26

Hi,

During engine run-up jet at the gate or the terminal, jet engine power is restricted to "idle" ONE engine at a time for a maximum of FIVE minutes.
Is this statement true?

-Certain engines have the gearbox and accessories under the reverse cowls which can't be opened while the engine is running. How the leak check is performed (let's say the leakage in under the reverse cowls area and the leakage is not static)? Is it difficult to localize a leak in this case?
How the leak check is performed If the gearbox and some accessories are installed on the fan case?

-Is it permissible to perform run-up engine while the fan cowls are open (engine at idle and above idle)? is it permissible for AMT to be around engine especially the fan case (with cowls open) above idle?
-Does the red warning stripe on the cowls indicate the hazard area during idle run-up or above idle? Is the red warning stripe located on the fan cowls or the reverse cowls?

-If during engine run-up the mechanic can't see the red warning stripe because the cowls are open (I hope this is true), is the practise of connecting a safety harness at certain points under the cowls standart for all engines?
Are there a painted lines on the engine run-up remote area (on the floor) to show the mechanic the hazard areas (mechanic under open cowls)?

-Some AMTs don't feel comfortable when performing manual start (start valve opened manually), is it because of the fear of starter desintegration if pilots forget (or delay) shutting the engine start system, OR because the start valve is located in the fan case (at the front of fan case for certain engines like CFM-56) so close the engine inlet? (the start valve is closed at 55% N2 in CFM-56 which is pretty high compared to 35 or 38% N2 in JT8D in the B 737- 200 or B 727.

Best regards
Old 21st Feb 2006, 21:42

Location: Down at the sharp pointy end, where all the weather is made.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AeroTech
Hi,
Is this statement true?

Aerotech,

At Gatwick, this rule is rigidly enforced - we call it a 'start-stop' procedure and we monitor such runs to ensure compliance. In VERY exceptional circumstance, slightly elevated power runs have been approved at the gate, but with lots of safety precautions in place, marshallers to stop traffic fore and aft, clear briefing for all concerned by engineers etc etc. I've only approved 2 such in the past 15 years, both to get a flight away before a night noise restriction time. Not sure I'd even approve for that reason, now...

Cheers,
TheOddOne
Old 22nd Feb 2006, 09:00

Aero Tech you have asked a lot of questions there! I shall try to answer some of them.
Leak checks on items under the cowlings are done by motoring the engine over on the starter with the reverser cowls opened and fuel on. Called a wet cycle. This will find most leaks. You then close up and start the engine, leave it at idle for a time specified in the MM, shut it down, open the reverser cowls and check for leaks. If you have a leak that only apears at high power you do the same thing but obviously you have to run the engine at power!.
The MM will give you more information

You can open the fan cowls with the engine running to do a leak check. It is peferred that you start the engine with the cowls closed as the cowls are part of the fire containment area of the engine.(If you fire the fire bottles off with the cowls opened the extinguishing agent would blow away)

I would ONLY run an engine at idle with the cowls opened and I would not want anybody near the engine at above idle least of all me!

The red stripe indicates the danger area at idle ONLY and it is on the fan cowl

Safety straps are advisable but in my 28 years of engineering I have never seen one

Paint lines in the run bays? No

The manual start access point is within the danger area! Never done one and I don't want to do one either!!

I hope that will be of some use to you. Say a prayer for the guys that died and remember the desk sargent on Hill Street blues..

"Let's all be careful out there"

Rgds Dr I
Old 24th Feb 2006, 00:43

hi,
Thank you for your posts.

Originally posted by Dr Illitout
Safety straps are advisable but in my 28 years of engineering I have never seen one
I think safety harness is mentioned in the AMM (737-200), I don't know if it is used for trimming purpose or high power checks, may be not used on high bypass engines?

When performing leak check above idle, are the fan cowls open or closed (let's say there is a leak in the fan case area)? I am asking this because when engine is above idle, the suction or injestion area is increased over the fan case, and with the cowls open this may cause damage to the fan case and also to the engine through FOD (items or part of items may be tear off from the fan case and sucked into engine).
I read that some engines can be operated at 70%0 N1 to perform part-power leak check, how this is performed? (fan cowls open or close, if open the AMT must be near engine.....?)

I guess it is not eazy to find a leakage with cowls closed (thrust reverser and fan cowls) and engine running at idle or above.

Best regards.
Old 24th Feb 2006, 10:44

we will carry out leak checks(and approach the engine) with fan cowls open at idle only.

Any leak check under the thrust reverser cowls requires them closed to run the engines. Open cowls and carry out leak check after the engine is shut down.

Any leak check above idle(usually only high pressure fuel lines) require cowls to be closed for eng run, shut down engine. Open cowls after engine is shut down and carry out leak check.

Mistakes are made easily and can have devasating consequences, RIP Donald Gene Buchanan.
Old 24th Feb 2006, 17:35

Whilst the sympathy is obvious. What on earth was the poor chap doing wearing a baseball cap on the ramp??