Wikiposts
Search
Private Flying LAA/BMAA/BGA/BPA The sheer pleasure of flight.

Yellow Shirts

Search this Thread

Old 30th Dec 2000, 02:03
Beagler

Question Yellow Shirts

It seems that my home base (Gamston) has now jumped onto the band wagon by insisting on all pilots wearing yellow bibs when walking across the apron on the grounds of "safety".

How does this improve "safety" ?
Am I less likely to be run over by a pilot who is supposed to have A1 vision and driving a multi decibel machine, or survive this incident just because I am wearing a luminous vest?

Curious on the actual accident rate regarding being mown down whilst walking across the apron, can anyone advise?

Sounds like another "Nanny State" rule coming in just because the next airfield is doing it as well rather than actually sitting down and thinking it through.

I will of course go with the rank and file and wear my yeller coat with everyone else after my little rant,

B

Old 30th Dec 2000, 02:29
Rob_L

A lot of places you can't just go wandering across the apron anyway - you have to route around the edge till you get level with the stand you're heading for. This means you're likely to get mown down by the ground vehicles. Now that's when you need those little yellow jackets start to make sense!

Old 30th Dec 2000, 06:34
NIMBUS

Talking

What are pax supposed to wear...?

Old 30th Dec 2000, 15:06
Chilli Monster

Thumbs down

This is Health and Safety at it's most ludicrous. OK - major airports with lots of vehicles scurrying about between sites and aircraft - good idea. But the only vehicles airside at Gamston are the bowser and the aircraft tug.

If people are stupid enough to walk in front of a moving aircraft then they shouldn't be airside in the first place, and the only people airside at Gamston are people who fly to or from there who know what it's like being around aircraft - on what basis or incident have they decided on this farcical ruling for such a small airfield - or do they have delusions of grandeur!

This is obviously just another case of unnecessary bandwagon jumping. It's this sort of blanket rulemaking that starts the ball rolling everywhere until they gather momentum and become the norm. End result - someone then makes it into a law that means the owner with his own strip has to wear one when he walks between the gate and his aircraft. LUDICROUS

Old 31st Dec 2000, 00:12
criticalmass

Smile

Does the jacket have to be worn in the "conventional" manner?

Why not try it as a sort of turban one day, around one leg the lext, as an armband after that etc etc etc until management is forced to add a clause specifying in legalese exactly how the jacket is to be worn.

Once they have done this, ask them if they have insurance for ill-fitting jackets preventing access to pockets containing mobile phones when emergency phone calls might occur and by this circumstance be missed.

Once this is done, request management to test every employee for colour-blindness - even secretarial staff who don't go near the ramp. You want to be sure everyone can actually see the yellow colour. Mention "xanthocyanopsis", that should have them diving for a dictionary.

After this, request the jackets be dry-cleaned every week to keep them in their high state of visibility. Ask management to provide additinal jackets to fill in for those away being cleaned.

Similarly request management to put emergency supplies of jackets at strategic locations in case someone loses a jacket during work.

Also request management to put a "Jacket-tracking" system in (satellite based) to permit simultaneous tracking of every employee/worker wearing a jacket on the airport to further enhance safety.

Ask the OHS supervisor to give weekly lectures on the benefits of wearing jackets, both at work and outside the workplace.

I'm sure you can think of more ways to make the management heartily sick of yellow safety jackets whilst having some fun at the same time. My feeling is the individual who first thought up this idea didn't have much else to do.

Old 31st Dec 2000, 03:54
Code Blue

Consider asking for mandatory drug testing of all visitors. Certain cardiac meds produce xanthopsia - a condition where everything looks yellow.

Perhaps dayglo pink would suit better...

------------------
-.-- --.- -..-

Old 31st Dec 2000, 05:46
Cusco

Red face

Oh come on you anti establishment knee jerk
w*nkers: Just what is the problem with picking up a ten quid yellow reflective jacket and wearing it when you are air side. If you have pax with you they're 'covered ' by your yellow jacket, if they are not with you they have no right to be there anyway .

There has got to be some sort of control:

I personally would be happy with the requirement for a yellow jacket with reg no on it as well.

Happy and safe flying with no schizophreniic pax behind the bulkhead door.

Old 31st Dec 2000, 14:13
Chilli Monster

Cusco

As part of the aviation 'establishment' I found your description rather amusing

However - I don't think anyone minds at places where there is a risk. The airfield in question in this debate is hardly the high risk environment that the likes of LHR, LGW, MAN etc. is (They don't even get that many visitors compared to the average GA airfield because the caterings non existent )

CM

Old 31st Dec 2000, 22:36
SKYYACHT

Angry

Hmmmm,

Next it'll be toe-tector boots and bash-hats just to visit the Tower!

Tailwinds

Old 31st Dec 2000, 23:57
Beagler

Talking

How about all ground vehicles being limited to 2 mph and having someone walking in front with a red flag?

Better still, flying little planes is dangerous so let's ban it!

Posting on New Year's eve... sad... better go off line now and go and see all my 100s of friends!

Have a good 'un and see you in 2001

B

Old 1st Jan 2001, 00:02
HeliEng

Unhappy

So, what happens in the case of an instructor and a student in a training environment?

Is the student covered by the instructors yellow jacket or must he/she wear his/her own?

Old 1st Jan 2001, 02:18
NIMBUS

Talking

Hey Cusco,
What kind of Nazi are you...?
Yellow jacket with reg no? What happens to renters? Do they have to buy a jacket for each aircraft, or will jacket rental be included with the aircraft...???

How about helmets with flashing beacons, identity cards, and signal flares to be let off every ten yards!

My old instructor told me that anyone walking into a spinning prop just improves the average IQ of the group.

Darwin in action!

Old 1st Jan 2001, 03:57
Rob_L

Well I was right about people being more at risk from ground vehicles than aircraft: only case of injury I've heard of was a pilot quite badly injured by same.

Incidentally, heard a real good reason for wearing jackets: since airline pax don't wear them, if someone is seen wandering round the apron without one, they know to go and round him up because he must be an escaped airline passenger! Npw is that arse-about-face thinking or what?

As for Gamston, must be delusions of grandeur, or is the next stage in this bureacratic nightmare the excuse that the aerodrome's insurers are making it a condition of cover?

Old 1st Jan 2001, 15:05
Beagler

Talking

I think the excuse at Gamston is along the lines of "the insurance company..."

Generally, it seems to me that there is probably a bloody good yellow bib sales representative out there!

B

Old 1st Jan 2001, 16:28

How long before everyone at the PFA Rally has to wear one?

Old 1st Jan 2001, 16:45
Chilli Monster

Cool

Those of us that work there airside do.

CM

Old 2nd Jan 2001, 00:53
Cusco

Nimbus

Very easy really: you get the owner ot the A/c you rent to buy as many(large) yellow jackets as the a/c has seats and keep them in the aeroplane.

If he won't do that suggest the other renters have a whip round and buy them

Happy 2001

Old 2nd Jan 2001, 01:50
NIMBUS

Smile

AHA!
Fatal flaw in your logic...!

If they are kept in the plane, how do you go to get them..?

The operators will have to employ "jacket couriers" to run back and forth to the planes.
This will cause rental rates to go up, and eventually the high prices will put everyone out of business!

Now I see your cunning plan...!

Old 2nd Jan 2001, 03:15
100LL

Its all to do with a change of Manager at Gamston, Has any one seen the Airfield manager with one on yet when he gets in his Chippy or Citation

Old 2nd Jan 2001, 21:32
Cusco

Nice one Nimbus.

Before I got my own share in an A/c I rented from a flying school/Club which had an office where all the documentation, aircraft keys etc. were kept.

Don't know your circumstances, don't really care either but p'raps yellow vests could be kept with a/c keys.

Failing that you could always buy a yellow jacket.

Or are you leading a Luddite revolution?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.