Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Rumours & News
Reload this Page >

Professionalism and "inshaa allah" or what ever...

Wikiposts
Search
Rumours & News Reporting Points that may affect our jobs or lives as professional pilots. Also, items that may be of interest to professional pilots.

Search this Thread

Old 31st Mar 2004, 17:19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday I heard a Kenya flight inbound NBO give his estimates and end with "inshaa Allah".
I believe in courtesies - e. g. say hello or bye in the local language. But Allah or whatever God has nothing to do with FMCs or the way we work dem. Unfortunately I hear d above more and more often recently.
To me it is sheer hypocrisy on behalf of the highly religious crew and a waste of airtime. And a disgrace to all us profi pilots...
I guess ICAO should take an example from the "head scarf ban" in France.
Any comments?
Old 31st Mar 2004, 17:30

Oh Blimey!
It's just a pleasantry my dear chap.
Perhaps we should ban the use of the word 'goodbye' while we're at it. ('God be with you' in case you aren't sure of where it came from.)

Old 31st Mar 2004, 17:52

swish266

'Insha-Allah' means god willing and is a very common phrase used all over the muslim world. Muslims use it all the time and always will.
Old 31st Mar 2004, 17:53

Cool

Well said Rads!

Or even "Adios" in Spanish.

Chill out mate.
Old 31st Mar 2004, 18:05

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
The R/T airways are already congested enough, so we should stick to the standard phraseology. This discipline also removes any unwanted transmission being misinterpreted or mistaken by others as an ATC instruction.

Perhaps with a future data link system the boffins could provide a ‘smiley’ selection to accompany our messages, this might replace some of the lost intonation of a spoken message and convey the appropriate greeting.

cleared direct ... OK
Old 31st Mar 2004, 18:06

Thumbs down

Swish266:- I'm afraid that so far you are in a minority of one. Rads, abb911 and our royal member probably speak for most of us. Intollerance of any sort has no place in our profession (or in other words, our profession doesn't really have a place for racist and religous bigots). Maybe a different vocation like envelope stuffing for the BNP might be a more suitable occupation?

Anyway, I think it's quite amusing...

Vive la differance!

Tot Ziens.

Old 31st Mar 2004, 18:14

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
swish266 Go around with right turn maintain 3000ft and hold greeting
Old 31st Mar 2004, 19:00

hi swish,

i do agree with the concept totally that radio procedure should be limited to the known standard phraseology but u being frm zanzi'bar would know more about it thn any of us..its all in good spirits.

quote:
let the man who has not been guilty of transmiting in non- standard phraseology come fwd... ur guess is as good as mine who came fwd...inshallah one day u will understand he he

regards
406pilot
Old 31st Mar 2004, 19:11

swish266

As a foreigner living on Switzerland's doorstep sir, one might be reluctant to accept that this postings is any more than your average Swiss superiority complex reaction, or Xenophobia as is being perfected in your (I presume) homeland...

Pathetic!

Old 31st Mar 2004, 20:17

Rebel PPRuNer

isn't it enough we have to cope with crying babies, lost bags, rapacious air taxes, wx, atc holds etc. without having to get God to give "permission to approach"?

all the same I bet some shamrock capts added "with the help o' god" to their PAs from time to time
Old 31st Mar 2004, 20:42

If you want to see "professionalism" from some these guys, wait until you have one up front that wraps the "worry beads" around the gear lever.

On requesting the reason, was told it will make sure the gear will extend, on damand.

Thats dinkum.
Old 31st Mar 2004, 22:21

Forget the worry beads, In fine Australian Spirit I like to hang a nice large set of Fluffy Dice, not on the Gear lever, but on the standby compass, so they hang right in the middle of the front windscreens. Beaudiful Mate!

Old 31st Mar 2004, 23:28

Or how about the travel prayer that's played in the cabin during taxi
Can't go past the Yanks for unnecessary gibber on the radio though
Old 1st Apr 2004, 02:20

If you've ever travelled with Saudia (Saudi Arabian Airlines), you get all, all those things in the one flight!

They do things rather differently than one normally expects!

And, I don't plan to travel with them ever again.

Seems their 'Inshala' and 'worry beads' didn't work real well in KL last year when they taxiied one of their B747-300s off the taxiway into a ditch! - no brakes - even though the -300 has three sources of brake pressure, not to mention reverse thrust!

(And Yes, I have read the full accident report!)

I even watched them stripping the airframe each time I taxied past, in the months after the accident.

Cheers
Old 1st Apr 2004, 02:33

Evertonian

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts
You should probably just be greatfull that they are speaking a "foreign" language called English in the first place.

Now, if they were quoting a passage from the Koran/Bible/whatever, then I'd agree with you, but surely, we can show a little humanity on the airwaves.

It's only a small part of the world where there is a common tongue in regular use. God knows we need to understand our neighbours now, more than ever!
Old 1st Apr 2004, 02:49

Yep, chill out dude...
might as well get rid of Merry Xmas, Happy New year, g'day, thank you etc etc...damned non standard phrasiologies...they will be the death of us all!
Old 1st Apr 2004, 04:41

It's hotwired in ,you will never get them to stop saying it.
Old 1st Apr 2004, 05:51

Received 334 Likes on 116 Posts
For true tedium, there's nothing to beat the "Errr, Dumbtown Center, err, this is Urrrmurrrikannnn 123 checkin' in at, err, three five oh. Anyone got a ride report......" followed by 5 minutes of "Well, yeah, we, errr, had some light chop some ways back but it's lookin' OK right now", "Err, thank you, Sir and have a good one....."

Or the babble on 123.45 "Hey, anyone know how the Dodgers game went........" Heard that cr@p going on on enight until a True Brit came up with "Never mind your colonial rounders results, how went the Pooh Sticks contest yesterday?"

"*****at 09, FL 330, estimate ***** at 55, insh' Allah" is pretty harmless in comparison.

Still, I'm out of all that now!
Old 1st Apr 2004, 07:51
prospector

It would appear to be an innocuous sort of a request for other peoples opinion of an activity that is not in the book.

To be called racist and a bigot for this query would to my mind put Piltdown Man's level of intelligence and social development just about on a par with his nom de plume.

Prospector

Old 1st Apr 2004, 08:06

Insh'allah

Flight Detent

You said in your post:-"Seems their 'Inshala' and 'worry beads' didn't work real well in KL last year when they taxiied one of their B747-300s off the taxiway into a ditch! - no brakes - even though the -300 has three sources of brake pressure, not to mention reverse thrust!"

The accident was not the fault of Flight Crew, there were none on board. It was an accident caused by maintenance staff not following procedures. Don't single out Saudia because of this, I have seen a very interesing set of pictures of a Continental MD8? embedded into an airport terminal after an apparently similar c*ck up.

I think that posts like yours knocking Saudia and other "non-Western" airlines betray a streak of racist ignorance. I have been a training captain in a Middle Eastern airline for 20+ years, and I can assure you that their professionalism is as good as any, and better than most. Oh, and I'm a Brit......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.