Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Ground & Other Ops Forums > ATC Issues
Reload this Page >

A note of thanks to Bournemouth radar

Wikiposts
Search
ATC Issues A place where pilots may enter the 'lions den' that is Air Traffic Control in complete safety and find out the answers to all those obscure topics which you always wanted to know the answer to but were afraid to ask.

Search this Thread

Old 30th Jun 2004, 07:27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to say thank you to Bournemouth radar for the help you gave yesterday afternoon to the PA28 G-OH with the gear problem after the low approach and go-around.

The calls you made to Farnborough and Blackbushe advising them of the situation lightened the load and helped me to concentrate on getting the problem solved. This was especially appreciated as I could hear how busy you were (this after also accomodating my practice approaches in the first place!).

I managed to get the gear down using the emergency extension procedure and land safely back at Blackbushe without further problems. I suspect that the cause of the problem was a faulty hydraulic pump.

Thanks again

PD
Old 30th Jun 2004, 23:36
niknak

Phil,
I don't think that are any atco's left at EGHH - they've all run off to sunnier climbs....

I dont work there, or have any knowledge of your incident, but 1 thank you is worth a 100 moans, and it's nice to see that you took the trouble of posting.
Old 1st Jul 2004, 17:12

Smile Bournemouth radar

Hi Phil,

Thanks very much for your kind comments, much appreciated. I'm glad all worked out well for you.
Next time you're down at Bournemouth please pop in and visit us. You are very welcome to look round ATC. Its always good to meet the face behind the voice.
Regards
AnnieL
Old 2nd Jul 2004, 15:48

Thanks Annie. I'll do that - once the gear is fixed!

Phil
Old 2nd Jul 2004, 18:59

PhilD

What type of PA28 was it ? I thought the Arrow had no up-locks and the gear was held up hydraulically, and you pull the little lever to allow a fall-down, or slow right down for auto lower. Let us know what the problem was for general interest.....thanks. Maybe I've only flown older models.
Old 5th Jul 2004, 14:26

It was (is) an Arrow, and yes the gear is held up hydraulically. The issue was that the nosewheel would not auto-lower when I first tried it, and I only succeeded when the speed was reduced to < 60kts. Lesson learned is make sure your engr does a thorough freefall drop test on the gear at each annual.