Wikiposts
Search
Computer/Internet Issues & Troubleshooting Anyone with questions about the terribly complex world of computers or the internet should try here. NOT FOR REPORTING ISSUES WITH PPRuNe FORUMS! Please use the subforum "PPRuNe Problems or Queries."

What Does This Do?

Search this Thread

Old 20th May 2002, 08:33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry What Does This Do?

I usually have Task Manager running, which shows me CPU usage as a small square in the systray. When I'm on the net, it invariably shows 95-99%, running a programme called 'SymProxySvc.exe'. This has a PID(?) of 776 and 8,088K memory usage.

Anybody know what this programme is or does, and what will happen if I 'end process'?
Old 20th May 2002, 08:36

You must be running Norton Internet Security - this issue is covered on Symantec's website.
Old 21st May 2002, 06:50

Evo7 - correct. thanks for tip. I went to their site and the symptoms are described exactly, together with the 'fix'. However, it is still happening, so I have e-mailed their technical bods. I'll let you know the outcome.
Old 21st May 2002, 07:43

I'd appreciate that, FJJP, because I seem to have this problem back too - and it seems to be PPRuNe related!

I've seen it in the past, but a live-update fixed it at some point. However, I was online last night and I noticed that something was eating all the available CPU - sure enough, it was the SymProxySvc process. I quit IE6 and killed the process, which instantly respawned but with the expected minimal CPU usage. All looked OK, so I started up IE6 and visited a couple of other sites. Still OK, but then I visited PPRuNe and - straight away - SymProxySvc CPU usage went up to 98% again. Quit/Kill - back to 1%. Go to The Register - 1%. Go to BBC News - 1%. Go to PPRuNe - 98%. Strange.

I didn't have time to look into things, so I'm not sure what was happening. I don't think that this has been happening ever since the great PPRuNe upgrade, so I suspect it happened when Norton live-updated a couple of days ago. However, I'm not sure why PPRuNe should trigger it.

I'm running XP/Pro, recent IE6 and a fully-updated Norton IS 2002. Ho hum...