PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TCAS safety deficiency and the AIPA, AFAP and GAPAN
Old 21st Feb 2007, 09:46
peuce

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Well, Dick put out the challenge .. although he thought it was a good idea to have FS, how would it be funded.
Well, here's one out of left field. I know it returns to days gone by, but to me, it still makes sense. Admittedly, it's all dodgy figures, but if it's anywhere near correct, I bet even QANTAS would be happy to fund it:

Proposal
1. Bring CAGRO services back under the ASA umbrella
2. ASA provides CAGRO (or whatever name you like) services at specific airports, provided by independent Contractors (no Super, Workers Comp, Leave etc), trained to ASA specs
3. ASA leases the appropriate premises and provides and services VHF transceivers and internet/network access for the CAGRO
4. CAGRO provides Aerodrome Traffic Service, pre-flight briefing services, flight plan submission, on request in-flight met/notam/briefing services & Sartime nomination/cancellation relay
5. No HF
6. No ATC Coordination (taxy & arrival calls etc)

Requirements
Say 1 or 2 Officers at each airport, depending on opening hours
Say around 15 airports (or more or less) … throwing some possibilities around:
WP, MA, CV, DU, WG, BH, MI, PD, KA, BM, KU, DV, Ayers Rock

Cost
Say 30 Contractors@ $50,000 = M$1.5 … lets say $2M
Leases …. Say 15 @$20,000 = $300,000 … lets say $0.5M
Equipment … say 15@5,000 = $75,000 … lets say $0.1M
Equipment maintenance … the Techs will be visiting to service the Navaids anyway
Incidentals … say $0.4M
TOTAL $3M per annum

Benefits for the Cost?
1. To get a return of $3M per annum we need the service to save 1 life per annum … is that a possibility?
2. Also offsetting the cost is the reduction in ATC/Flightwatch/Briefing staff required in the Centre
3. Less call on ATCs to provide FIS … so they can concentrate on keeping aircraft apart. Most Jet traffic would be in range of one of the airports.
4. Safer “AFIZ-type”operations at those locations … meaning less pressure on putting in new Towers
5. An aviation administrative presence back in the regional areas ( even the pollies would like that)