PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC Job in New Zealand
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2006, 11:17
Shitsu_Tonka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can be required to return to work on your days off to cover sickness etc however you will receive overtime payments for the days worked, with a maximum of 1 call back in 10days or 2 in 32days to prevent fatigue. During any given shift we can work a maximum of 2hrs on a radar position or 2.5hrs on planner. Shifts are generally 6-7.5hrs long.
This part of your post was posted in the Australian Air Traffic Controllers website as it was a startling reminder of the difference in rules that they are expected to work to.
An email in response (that I was included in) referring to these condtions reads:
Interesting point of difference when you consider that there is another big thread running about the Australian recruitment.
As a comparison, in Australia you can be expected to work 21 shifts with 1 day off after 10 (i.e. 10 in a row max, one day off then another 10 etc.)
There is no maximum time plugged in for radar or non-radar. Most shifts are 8-9 hours. I often do TMA Radar for 2:20 without a break, because of how tight the rosters run.
Fatigue is 'managed' in accordance with a system that is based on the FAID system. The acceptable level is equivalent of driving at 0.05 BAC.