PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your most interesting Check Ride Critique
Old 1st Sep 2006, 01:41
SASless

Received 557 Likes on 226 Posts
Your most interesting Check Ride Critique

In a previous life I got interviewed by telephone for a job in Alaska flying Hughes 500D's. Amongst the questions were references to sling loading, longlining, time in the Hughes, bush time and time over water, and mountain time.

Being a veteran Chinook pilot, flown Huey's, Iran, mountains, and the North Sea as well as bush flying in many countries and continents....I was quickly accepted. Last question was time in the Hughes....which I replied 300 hours in the Army on the OH-6A but it was a very long time ago.

Upon arrival at Merrill Field in Anchorage, some very very, very, quick differences training on the "D" model and off we go for the checkride.

We did the hover work, hovering auto's, slopes, pinnacles,confined areas, engine off landings and some sling work.

CP opined the ride was quite satisfactory and asked how I liked the "D" model compared to the OH-6A (...."C" model basically).

I said I quite liked the machine....fast...agile...fun to fly but I did find the controls a bit stiff.

CP smiled and said...."Yes I guess....if you would have removed the frictions you would have found it much more responsive and a lot lighter on the controls."

A slight smile from me....."Frictions?"

Then he asked...."Just how many hours do you have on the Hughes?"

My response....."How long did we fly?"

I spent two very good years flying there in Alaska on the Hughes.

Ah.....the good old days....when Alaska was really fun flying.

Who can top that?