PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airport Security (Merged) - Effects on Crew/Staff
Old 12th Aug 2006, 20:41
LD Max

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chandlers dad
I do not feel that its time for industrial action but I do feel that its way past time for us to be writing out representatives everywhere. From ALPA (or BALPA) to elected representatives to AOPA and the like.

If there then is no response, and no letup in the stupid security in a reasonable amount of time, say ten days to two weeks, then its time to talk about taking action.

I do not feel that the pax need nor deserve to have their electronics of any type back anytime soon. There are just too many ways to turn something like this into a detonator and its just not worth it IMHO. Bring a good paperback and read during the flight...

CD
Well a fat lot of help BALPA are being at the moment. See their official advice here

I note the following:
The requirements for airline crew are:

Any crew, whether operational or positioning, using passenger search areas must be subjected to the same security measures as passengers.

Crew accessing the Restricted Zone through staff search areas must carry only the items they require to perform their duties (including personal hand baggage meeting that description). All such items must be x-rayed where possible and hand searched where not. All crew must be hand searched.

However, no liquids of any type are permitted other than those mentioned above as able to be taken into the Restricted Zone by passengers.

At airports where there is no specific staff search facility, airports should make special arrangements for crew to be screened away from passengers.

We continue to work closely with the Minister for Aviation, Douglas Alexander, and his TRANSEC team at the DfT to ensure we continue to maintain as much operational normality for flight crew whilst at the same time mitigating any of the additional risks posed by the increased threat. He has asked me to express his personal thanks and gratitude to you for your efforts in keeping our aircraft safely in the air at this difficult time.

If there any are issues or anomalies that you feel we should be addressing or that have been overlooked, please do let us know as all the agencies involved in this are liaising closely and are keen to make this work as well as we can in the circumstances.
Clearly some of the more basic recommendations (such as separate crew screening areas) are not being followed by the likes of BAA.

Reading in between the bullsh*t, I suggest we take him up on his offer...