PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR: Search & Rescue Ops [Archive Copy]
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2004, 09:38
Wunper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This topic is as old as Airborne SAR and will continue as long as aircraft have limitations in their operating manuals.

I have in the late Daddy Wunper’s personal effects a letter dating back to his time as a SAR pilot in the RN fifty years ago. I find it hugely entertaining in the context of this thread and wish to share it with the Rotorheads. For the background the rescued crew were from a Meteor night fighter squadron based at Tangmere and the Helicopter was an S51 Dragonfly, (which required some engineering inspections after the sortie but was back flying later the same day). By the by there was no inter-service back stabbing over this rescue, far from it, Dad said he was invited to numerous functions at Tangmere for the rest of his tenure on the SAR flight at Ford.
Letter on Admiralty notepaper dated 28th October 1953

My Dear Admiral,

The following is a personal letter from the Secretary of State for Air to the First Lord

“I am sure you will have heard of the remarkable rescue of the pilot and navigator of a Meteor, which crashed off the South coast on October 20th, by a Naval helicopter from Ford.

I am told that the helicopter Captain had our two men “winched” aboard from their dinghy within thirteen minutes of the crash. What is more, the helicopter Captain deliberately exceeded his permitted all-up weight so that both men could be rescued in one trip. It was a most courageous action and was carried out with great skill.

Perhaps you would be good enough to pass on my congratulations to the Captain and crew.”

The first Lord would be grateful if you would convey the Secretary of State for Air’s message to the Captain and crew of the helicopter

Yours sincerely ,,,

(I have sent copies of this letter to the Second Sea Lord and Fifth Sea Lord)

As for the rescue that triggered this most interesting thread, I find it incredible that boards of inquiry have even to be thought about over such incidents today, and that the subject polarises opinions so much in the helicopter world, how times must have changed!

Triple Matched TQ----------Good on you!

Wunper