Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

RAF Chinook pilot jailed for sexual assault

Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Old 24th Mar 2023, 14:03

Received 2,594 Likes on 1,098 Posts

Terrible, that poor women.

The court heard that the assault took place as Bayliss’s victim tried to get away from him when she saw his wedding ring.

It was then that Bayliss is said to have thrust his hand up her skirt and sexually assaulted her.

She said the attack, which she reported to the police the following day, left her feeling “filthy and disgusting”.

However Bayliss denied the offence of assault by penetration and was said to have told a probation worker that he had no need to assault his victim because he was more attractive than her.

The victim said the RAF had made her feel “ostracised” after she was ordered to work from home when she raised concerns that their paths might cross due to their line of work, while her attacker was allowed to continue his duties as normal.

Six months after the assault she tried to take her own life.

Assistant Judge Advocate General Edward Legard said the board were troubled by Bayliss’s “absence of remorse or understanding”.

“There has been an element of victim blaming and minimisation of your actions and you have shown an unwarranted sense of entitlement,” he said.

Judge Advocate Legard added: “You said you would be able to get more girls than she could men, which displays a worrying attitude towards women in general.”

The court found he posed a risk of harm to adult females due to the attitude shown in the wake of his offence.

The judge added: “This was a betrayal of the values and standards of the Royal Air Force and tarnishes the reputation of the officer corps.

“You wear the insignia on your sleeve for a reason, which is to uphold the highest standards of integrity and to lead by example.”

‘I felt like a burden to my family’

In a personal statement read by the victim via a video link, she said she was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder and suffered from nightmares about the attack.

She said: “I felt like a burden to my family and friends and due to the impact of the sexual assault, I attempted suicide in June when I felt I could no longer cope.”

She added: “The only glimmer of a silver lining is that I hope this has taught Oliver Bayliss that he cannot behave in that way.”

Bayliss had his sentence reduced from the two year starting point to 18 months, partly due to his distinguished career, which included active service in Afghanistan, Iraq and West Africa.

He was told he would serve half his sentence – in a civilian jail after being cleared through the military prison at Colchester – before he would be eligible for release.

A tearful Bayliss, of Harrogate, North Yorks, shook his head as he was marched from the court after being dismissed from the RAF in disgrace.

Emma Norton, solicitor and director of the Centre for Military Justice, said the victim’s feeling of being ostracised by the air force was not unusual for servicewomen who report sexual assault in the Armed Forces.

She said: “The experiences of this woman after she reported an extremely serious sexual assault seem to reflect those of all the servicewomen we are supporting.”
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...07a97d2e&ei=18

Top Answer

9th Apr 2023, 19:46
Bob Viking

Received 455 Likes on 120 Posts
No shame

On a thread about a sexual assault you guys are bragging about how you’ve paid your mortgages off and what a great life you’ve had. Classy.

BV
Old 24th Mar 2023, 17:06

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
The sentence IMHO is not long enough as he will out in 9 months. The experience of a couple of days at MCTC and a rule 42 prisoner at a HMP probably Colchester will be an experience like no other he has ever experienced His life as he knew it is now over.

One hopes the lady who is the victim here is fully supported by her peers and CoC, now the case is over and in the future to help her recover.
The following 12 users liked this post by air pig:
Old 24th Mar 2023, 19:19

Received 129 Likes on 58 Posts
What a tragic and stupid end to a career. I have no sympathy for Bayliss.
The following 2 users liked this post by MPN11:
Old 24th Mar 2023, 19:29

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts
That sentence is pathetic and obscene. Indicative that attitudes towards women in the RAF have not changed in the last 30 years.
The following 4 users liked this post by ExAscoteer2:
Old 24th Mar 2023, 19:30
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
As it was all done within military justice but is now in the more public domain others may now come forward.
The following users liked this post:
Old 24th Mar 2023, 19:35

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
It seems odd that his sentence was reduced due to an aspect of his miltary service. That seems like an anachronism unless it left him with PTSD for example, which then affected his beheavour towards the victim. If it didn't then it seems like it would add insult to injury.
The following 7 users liked this post by skydiver69:
Old 24th Mar 2023, 19:55

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
I was on the same RAF squadron as this guy. He was an arrogant, cocky, self obsessed individual, he thought the world revolved around him.

When this came to light it did not surprise me at all based on what I know of him.

Agree with the comments above that his sentence is not long enough, however, in reality his personal sentence will be longer. Loss of job, loss of military pension, loss of wife, loss of credibility, his name forever searchable on Google - what a fool.
The following 9 users liked this post by HeliLad22:
Old 24th Mar 2023, 20:28

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 402 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by ExAscoteer2
That sentence is pathetic and obscene. Indicative that attitudes towards women in the RAF have not changed in the last 30 years.
I don’t know what you were doing thirty years ago but during my time in the RAF (I was there, but in my final year) we certainly didn’t sexually assault women.
The following 10 users liked this post by ShyTorque:
Old 24th Mar 2023, 20:41

The sentence given to the criminal Baylis will be within the Sentencing Council guidelines for that offence and what was reported to the AJAG and the panel by the defence regarding such things as psychology and probation reports. The sentence of outside those guidelines needs to have justification as the sentence maybe appealed at a later stage.

Old 24th Mar 2023, 20:48

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by air pig
The sentence given to the criminal Baylis will be within the Sentencing Council guidelines
As I said, disgusting and pathetic and indicative of attitudes to women.
Old 24th Mar 2023, 20:50

As I said, disgusting and pathetic and indicative of attitudes to women.
That is a problem for the sentencing council not the AJAG, they followed what was written.

I agree that it is pathetic.
Old 24th Mar 2023, 22:02

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by ShyTorque
I don’t know what you were doing thirty years ago but during my time in the RAF (I was there, but in my final year) we certainly didn’t sexually assault women.
I agree. I Was there and I object to the view that we were all cavemen in those days. In my view men treated women, we even called them ladies, with much more respect than is apparent today.
The following 9 users liked this post by Timelord:
Old 24th Mar 2023, 22:24

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Timelord
I agree. I Was there and I object to the view that we were all cavemen in those days. In my view men treated women, we even called them ladies, with much more respect than is apparent today.
Thank goodness, most men (I hope) are gentlemen.
Old 24th Mar 2023, 23:11

Received 415 Likes on 191 Posts
Might this be [I make so daring] a part conssequence of the equality sought so earnestly? I hope not, but many men no longer see women as frail ladies, to be protected, given precedence through doors, given seats on transport, and walked on the inside, away from the road edge?

Were the old blokes here the last generation to have these simple courtesies drummed into them?

I have known women bridling at being deferred to, demanding equality. Perhap the Law of Unintended Consequences is working.

NB. This is not the argument "she was all tarted uo, short skirts, and flashing her knockers, so she was asking for it"
Much more subtle than that.
Old 24th Mar 2023, 23:44

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts
Might this be [I make so daring] a part conssequence of the equality sought so earnestly? I hope not, but many men no longer see women as frail ladies, to be protected, given precedence through doors, given seats on transport, and walked on the inside, away from the road edge?

Were the old blokes here the last generation to have these simple courtesies drummed into them?
c0ck!

the individual concerned quite rightly is getting what he deserves.

are you tarnishing everyone my generation with the same brush?

edited to add that the vast majority of the very talented and fine ladies that i have the privilege to serve with don’t want to be referred to
​​​​​​as frail ladies

The following 2 users liked this post by Professor Plum:
Old 25th Mar 2023, 00:13

Originally Posted by Professor Plum
c0ck!

the individual concerned quite rightly is getting what he deserves.

are you tarnishing everyone my generation with the same brush?

edited to add that the vast majority of the very talented and fine ladies that i have the privilege to serve with don’t want to be referred to
I would love to know the thoughts of OC 2 Group or 83 EAG being described as frail. I suspect certain part of anatomy would be missing for anybody doing that.
Old 25th Mar 2023, 00:18

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts
Air pig,

Amen! Absolutely!
Old 25th Mar 2023, 05:04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"The court heard that the assault took place as Bayliss’s victim tried to get away from him WHEN SHE SAW HIS WEDDING RING."

Huh?
Old 25th Mar 2023, 08:18

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts
Without doubt women were patronised more in those days, but they were assaulted less.
Old 25th Mar 2023, 08:47

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Timelord
Without doubt women were patronised more in those days, but they were assaulted less.
Weren't they though? Or did they just not say anything because it was "drummed into them" to expect to be groped or more as part and parcel of life?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.