Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

REX SAAB cabin temperature on the ground

Wikiposts
Search
Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Search this Thread

Old 19th Mar 2023, 03:42

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Does anyone know what measures Rex takes for comfort on the ground in some of our scorching summers at outback aerodromes?

Without an APU, the cabin/cockpit would get very hot very quickly so I was wondering if Rex does anything to motigate this.

Do they have ground air-conditioning carts to use at all these remote airfields or perhaps leave an engine running to keep the PACKs operating (unlikely)? Or do their regional customers and crew just have to tough out the entire pre-flight wait until the engines are started?
Old 19th Mar 2023, 04:19

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mikewil
Does anyone know what measures Rex takes for comfort on the ground in some of our scorching summers at outback aerodromes?

Without an APU, the cabin/cockpit would get very hot very quickly so I was wondering if Rex does anything to motigate this.

Do they have ground air-conditioning carts to use at all these remote airfields or perhaps leave an engine running to keep the PACKs operating (unlikely)? Or do their regional customers and crew just have to tough out the entire pre-flight wait until the engines are started?
they use ground conditioned air where available, and leave an engine running at select ports in QLD under strict conditions.
Old 19th Mar 2023, 04:20

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

They use a ground air conditioning cart at most outports where temperatures are high.

Rows 6-12 stay nice and cool. Row 1 - 5 get a slight benefit and the cockpit is just a greenhouse.

I believe they keep the recirculating fans on, however I imagine that’d mix hot air with the cold and minimise the cooling effect.

Queensland use single engine turnarounds to keep one air cycle machine running for cooling.
Old 19th Mar 2023, 05:15

Originally Posted by transition_alt
They use a ground air conditioning cart at most outports where temperatures are high.

Rows 6-12 stay nice and cool. Row 1 - 5 get a slight benefit and the cockpit is just a greenhouse.
why doesn't the cockpit receive air? Is there no connection to the actual ventilation system and rather just a big duct poking through the external door?
Old 19th Mar 2023, 05:43

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
why doesn't the cockpit receive air? Is there no connection to the actual ventilation system and rather just a big duct poking through the external door?
You get a glimpse of how it's done here.

​​​​​​​
Old 19th Mar 2023, 06:35

Received 424 Likes on 211 Posts
Very interesting video. I think "brutal" and "tiny plane" are exaggerations, though!
Old 19th Mar 2023, 09:09

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Rex do take some measures, but it does get uncomfortably hot in the cabin and cockpit during some turnarounds in the hotter areas.

All major ports and some outports have portable air conditioning units which are connected to the cabin through the cargo compartment. If ground power is connected the crew are also able to use recirculation fans to keep some airflow moving. It isn't perfect, but it's better than nothing.

As mentioned above, in some ports there are approvals to keep an engine running, but this is highly restricted to certain ports with limits on how many passengers can get on and off and a few other things.

The short answer is, when its hot at an outport - boarding is delayed as much as possible, and the priority is getting the engine started after all safety checks are completed. Even if its only one engine, the air can start circulating and cooling the cabin while the rest of the stuff in the cockpit is set up.
The following users liked this post:
Old 20th Mar 2023, 00:41

Thanks for the insightful info everyone.

Can the aircraft be connected to ground power(air) such that the PACKs are operational or does the SAAB not have any provision for such an arrangement which necessitates the need to just pump in already conditioned air?
Old 20th Mar 2023, 01:33

Received 318 Likes on 118 Posts
The SAAB doesn’t have PACK’s
Old 20th Mar 2023, 01:34

Received 394 Likes on 209 Posts
Wonder how many complaints the airlines received back in the good old days of the DC-3 baking on the ramp in an outback summer about ventilation and temperature.
Old 20th Mar 2023, 01:46

Received 169 Likes on 86 Posts
And the TAA F27's and Twin Otters!
Old 20th Mar 2023, 06:41

Originally Posted by morno
The SAAB doesn’t have PACK’s
That's news to me. what does it use for pressurisation and air conditioning then?
Old 20th Mar 2023, 08:04

Received 318 Likes on 118 Posts
That's news to me. what does it use for pressurisation and air conditioning then?
Actually after a quick Google, I appear to be incorrect. I assumed it would be like most turbo-props and it used an air cycle system (similar to what a PC-12 does for example), but not a PACK as such like you would find on a jet.

Carry on
Old 20th Mar 2023, 08:28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NaFenn
Rex do take some measures, but it does get uncomfortably hot in the cabin and cockpit during some turnarounds in the hotter areas.

All major ports and some outports have portable air conditioning units which are connected to the cabin through the cargo compartment. If ground power is connected the crew are also able to use recirculation fans to keep some airflow moving. It isn't perfect, but it's better than nothing.

As mentioned above, in some ports there are approvals to keep an engine running, but this is highly restricted to certain ports with limits on how many passengers can get on and off and a few other things.

The short answer is, when it’s hot at an outport - boarding is delayed as much as possible, and the priority is getting the engine started after all safety checks are completed. Even if it’s only one engine, the air can start circulating and cooling the cabin while the rest of the stuff in the cockpit is set up.
Too dangerous to keep the right engine running?

We used to HP the right engine, x-valve it, and keep the main door closed as long as possible prior to boarding. With light loads it worked just fine. Full boat and it still got super hot.
Old 20th Mar 2023, 23:50

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
The technique in my F27 days in between ports in Western QLD to help cool the cabin down, especially those not far apart, was to keep climbing into cooler air until TOD was reached then head back down again. Then the hosties would close the blinds on the windows, but it inevitably was always hot in summer. No one seemed to complain about it in those days - but then things were a bit different in lots of ways.

Mitchell I think
Old 21st Mar 2023, 03:52

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
LOL this must be from the 80s check the kid in those cross boardies and long socks and how the pax carry their luggage straight off the plane with wheels
Old 21st Mar 2023, 07:58

Received 176 Likes on 102 Posts
Wonder how many complaints the airlines received back in the good old days of the DC-3 baking on the ramp in an outback summer about ventilation and temperature.
That generation of people said things like, '**** it's hot' then got on with it.

Rather than current generations too busy trying to work out what a woman is.

Last edited by tossbag; 22nd Mar 2023 at 08:15.
The following 2 users liked this post by tossbag:
Old 21st Mar 2023, 10:41

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Givelda
The technique in my F27 days in between ports in Western QLD to help cool the cabin down, especially those not far apart, was to keep climbing into cooler air until TOD was reached then head back down again. Then the hosties would close the blinds on the windows, but it inevitably was always hot in summer. No one seemed to complain about it in those days - but then things were a bit different in lots of ways.

Mitchell I think
100% correct...and that kid in the "boardies" could well have been me!
The following users liked this post:
Old 25th Mar 2023, 22:27

Originally Posted by Deano969
LOL this must be from the 80s check the kid in those cross boardies and long socks and how the pax carry their luggage straight off the plane with wheels
Not entirely correct. They literally had to carry it....suitcases didn't have wheels in those days!