Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Misc. Forums > Aviation History and Nostalgia
Reload this Page >

UK airports 1970s - the "satellite"

Wikiposts
Search
Aviation History and Nostalgia Whether working in aviation, retired, wannabee or just plain fascinated this forum welcomes all with a love of flight.

Search this Thread

Old 21st Jan 2023, 09:19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sifting through odd memories to figure out flying history and so on. I remember my family boarding via "the satellite" at either Manchester or Gatwick. Anyone know which airport used this as a term in the 1970s?
Old 21st Jan 2023, 09:24

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Sifting through odd memories to figure out flying history and so on. I remember my family boarding via "the satellite" at either Manchester or Gatwick. Anyone know which airport used this as a term in the 1970s?
Don't think it was Manchester - in that period you had the domestic, international and 'Jumbo' piers - A, B and C. Never heard the term 'satellite'

Last edited by SWBKCB; 21st Jan 2023 at 11:12.
Old 21st Jan 2023, 09:37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Gatwick.
Old 21st Jan 2023, 10:52

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Not sure when the satellite terminal opened but I'm fairly sure I went through in October 1983 boarding a CTA Caravelle to Zurich.
Old 21st Jan 2023, 11:07
Gnome de PPRuNe

Received 293 Likes on 161 Posts
My memory is that the North pier at Gatwick was reconfigured into the satellite around 1980 or 81?
Old 21st Jan 2023, 11:56

Received 361 Likes on 210 Posts
First heard it about CDG - then Gatwick
Old 21st Jan 2023, 14:29

Courtesy of Wikipedia:

1983: As passenger numbers grew, a circular satellite pier was added to the terminal building connected to the main terminal by the UK's first automated people mover system. (This replaced the original North pier dating from 1962, and the people mover connecting the main terminal with the satellite pier was subsequently replaced with a walkway and travelators). A second terminal was planned, and construction began on the North Terminal on the land earmarked for a second runway in the draft plan of May 1970. This was the largest construction project south of London in the 1980s, costing £200 million
Old 21st Jan 2023, 14:54

Thanks, later than I thought. May be coming from slightly later memories of the South Terminal. I know the part of the terminal well, it's the circular section a little to the north of the main pier. Thanks for confirming it wasn't Manchester.
Old 22nd Jan 2023, 12:25

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Asturias56
First heard it about CDG - then Gatwick
The original concept of CDG had multiple 'satellites'.
Old 22nd Jan 2023, 13:26

Received 201 Likes on 93 Posts
Four of the original seven Aérogare 1 satellites survive, each capable of accommodating up to five aircraft simultaneously, with one satellite having been demolished around six years ago and the two either side linked by a continuous concourse, though I suppose you could still describe the resulting monstrosity as a "satellite", making 5 in total.
Old 23rd Jan 2023, 09:35

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
It was very 'of the future' when it opened, especially as it was connected to the South Terminal by a monorail. I used it a fair bit back in the day and if I recall correctly it was only US Transatlantic flights, such as Continental, World, Northwest, People Express etc. The whole ambiance of it being in a circle was a very different experience imo.

The original concept of CDG had multiple 'satellites'.
They were fantastic, especially at the time, both inside and out. Accessed by tunnels with textured walls with the longest travellators that went downhill, flat and then uphill to arrive in the round satellites. I must have used them hundreds of times over the years, so familiar even now. All in all ADP were ahead of the game in the 70's-90's period. Anyone remember the announcement jingle followed by some lovely female spoken french ?

Old 23rd Jan 2023, 09:49

Received 361 Likes on 210 Posts
"They were fantastic, especially at the time, both inside and out."

Ahhh - the Concorde Lounge - carefully hidden in a pillar that looked like a door to some electrical cabinet - but inside............... ​​​​​​​

On the other hand it was possible to follow everyone else on arrival and occasionally finish up at the taxi rank without passing Customs, Immigration and without your luggage. I managed it twice and still don't know how. And the issue was clearly not uncommon as on explaining it to an AIr France desk inside I was immediately let in through a door back to airside.............
Old 23rd Jan 2023, 13:25

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by SpringHeeledJack
It was very 'of the future' when it opened, especially as it was connected to the South Terminal by a monorail. I used it a fair bit back in the day and if I recall correctly it was only US Transatlantic flights, such as Continental, World, Northwest, People Express etc. The whole ambiance of it being in a circle was a very different experience imo.
It wasn't a monorail, but a rubber-tyred automated transit. It was sufficiently short that in more recent times it was replaced by a fixed walkway on two levels.

Not just US flights, I took Wardair from there to Canada, and later an Orion 737 to Palma.
Old 23rd Jan 2023, 15:16

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Fair point, I assumed that as it ran along a track it was a type of monorail, but the tyres don't fit that description! I'm usually observant, but can only think that most times I arrived by train and went straight to the shuttle and the gates, or did I check-in in the main terminal ?? Whichever, I didn't really notice the wheels and tyres :-)

I think my first flight from the satellite was an American Airlines 747/DC-10 to DFW in 83 and the last that I can remember was a Dan Air 737-400 in the early 90's, though I must have taken flights from there since then, but too nondescript to remember. I'm not sure when, but at some point there was a bilateral agreement that allowed the main US carriers to fly into/out of LHR , and LGW was abandoned en masse by the major players. Possibly British Airways started flying long-haul scheduled from LGW around the same time, though not from the satellite.
Old 23rd Jan 2023, 15:36

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I note from the UK AIP Aerodrome Chart for LGW that the Satellite is simply marked (somewhat prosaically) as 'Pier 3'.
Old 23rd Jan 2023, 15:41
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
I searched 'history of gatwick airport' then looked at results for Images. This image shows their original terminal that could certainly be called a Satellite. It was known as The Bee Hive.

Last edited by PAXboy; 23rd Jan 2023 at 16:00.
Old 23rd Jan 2023, 16:28

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Just to round out there is a YouTube video covering the detail of the Satellite Transit. It had two single cars which ran alternately on parallel tracks. Having covered the better-known one between North and South terminals, it starts on the Satellite Transit, including odd moments of past aircraft, at 11:20 here :

Old 23rd Jan 2023, 17:06

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
PAXboy,

I'm intrigued by your photo. Where's the runway? Was it still grass, to the north of the Beehive?

I did some searching and stumbled on this older 1947 air photo mosaic:

Picture from the amazing National Library of Scotland map collection:
https://maps.nls.uk/view/238924891

Anyone care to zoom into the original and ID the aircraft?
Old 23rd Jan 2023, 18:15

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts
Gatwick airport was known to get very foggy and very soggy in winter months hence the east-west runway (about 1400 yds) and the north east- south west runways (about 1500yds) both had steel mesh reinforcement however the runway running fom the Beehive northwards (about 1300yds) on a bearing of about 350 deg was natural grass.
Old 23rd Jan 2023, 18:16

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
Thanks chevvron, I had a vague recollection of the "foggy and soggy" issue but I didn't know where the runways were.

I've just noticed in the aerial photo mosaic that I posted, that you can see the old Gatwick racecourse to the north of the runways.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.