Terms and Endearment The forum the bean counters hoped would never happen. Your news on pay, rostering, allowances, extras and negotiations where you work - scheduled, charter or contract.

Leaving Ryr

Old 13th Jun 2022, 15:15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaving Ryr

Got offered a job, starts in one month. My notice is 3 months with FR.
I asked for a shortened notice which they refused. I do not want to miss an opportinity for those people.
My question is, what do you risk if you would plain and simply break your contract?
if anyone has been in the same situation and can tell me about their expérience it would be greatly appreciated.
Nb, I am on a british contract
Old 13th Jun 2022, 15:27

Under English law, which is what I imagine your Ryanair U.K. contract would be subject to, Ryanair could take legal action against you to recover any financial or other losses they may have incurred by your leaving before your contractual notice period.

It’s a shame your potential employer can’t or won’t appreciate you have certain contractual obligations at your current employer.
Old 13th Jun 2022, 19:24

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While it is definitely a risk that FR could chase you in court, that would become rather expensive for them to do, and especially if you are only an FO the gain they could get wouldn't really be worth the effort.

Who knows however, do what is best for you, if this new job will give you a longer more stable career, take the risk! Can't afford to lose the good stuff and get stuck with FR
Old 13th Jun 2022, 19:28

I and others left lauda within the 3 months notice, I know of countless others who have done so with no follow up after. obviously you burn the bridge so you'll never go back. but who would want to.
Old 13th Jun 2022, 20:17

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You could ask for a cost to buy yourself out of the contract early and then pay your employer the agreed amount. There may be some haggling.

If both parties agree to such an arrangement then it's all legal and above board.

JAS
Old 13th Jun 2022, 23:24

Just from personal experience. I wouldnt burn the bridge to FR. Yes, they are the cancer of aviation but they might end up the strongest competitor to all legacies.
I kept it all formal and just. They were quite "nice" letting me go with 5 days notice, after I honestly explained my situation. Worth a shot IMHO.
Edit: Depends on your Base Manager for sure. Declan was quite helpful to my surprise.
Old 14th Jun 2022, 08:42

I would do what just a spotter said. I know RYR struggling a bit at the moment crewing flights TRE flying more now I heard but money talks. Compromise on your days off? Look at your hours and if you can, offer to work extra if they need help? Not ideal but you never know. RYR will always be around. Some OCC courses have a few returning RYR pilots.
Old 14th Jun 2022, 09:36

Originally Posted by RavenOne
Just from personal experience. I wouldnt burn the bridge to FR. Yes, they are the cancer of aviation but they might end up the strongest competitor to all legacies.
I kept it all formal and just. They were quite "nice" letting me go with 5 days notice, after I honestly explained my situation. Worth a shot IMHO.
Edit: Depends on your Base Manager for sure. Declan was quite helpful to my surprise.
Cancer of aviation? There are thousands of people happily working for RYR. You should be ashamed of making comments like this. Moderator should be banning these!
Old 14th Jun 2022, 09:51

Originally Posted by BoeingLudo737
Cancer of aviation? There are thousands of people happily working for RYR. You should be ashamed of making comments like this. Moderator should be banning these!
I'm only commenting on this because you used the B word. I don't like whats been said, so lets get it banned, so 21st century. For anyone that worked in aviation prior to the invention of low cost airlines, as far as pilot t&c's are concerned, they have had a cancerous effect, slowing gnawing away until little is left. That said, there are also many happy loco pilots, so both sides have a point, but neither should be banned.
AFA the OP's question is concerned, I left a job without working my full notice years ago and the DFO jumped up and down about it, but it never went further and they still wrote me a decent reference. In the end litigation is a mugs game, but if u can negotiate a clean break, its better for you as you never ever know with aviation, one day RYR might be your only option to pay the bills.
Old 14th Jun 2022, 10:29

Sorry to hurt your feelings. You really believe FR is promoting the T&C's and improving employee's lifestyle? Delusional.

Last edited by RavenOne; 14th Jun 2022 at 10:31. Reason: Edith says : Research the profile before engaging in a discussion. How's the weather in Swords these days?
Old 14th Jun 2022, 10:59

Thanks for your replies,
To be honest I have grown such resentment towards this company that I will change careers before returning to work for them.
I know some people have it good over there (you have your base, you are home everyday) and I am tiered of this argument between pro's and con's. If you want to love it, so be it. For me it has been nothing but hardship and I received the salary they advertised when joining, perhaps once in three years. There is no way I will let go of a serious opportunity and sacrifice more for these people.
Old 14th Jun 2022, 11:02

Originally Posted by macdo
I'm only commenting on this because you used the B word. I don't like whats been said, so lets get it banned, so 21st century. For anyone that worked in aviation prior to the invention of low cost airlines, as far as pilot t&c's are concerned, they have had a cancerous effect, slowing gnawing away until little is left. That said, there are also many happy loco pilots, so both sides have a point, but neither should be banned.
AFA the OP's question is concerned, I left a job without working my full notice years ago and the DFO jumped up and down about it, but it never went further and they still wrote me a decent reference. In the end litigation is a mugs game, but if u can negotiate a clean break, its better for you as you never ever know with aviation, one day RYR might be your only option to pay the bills.
I imagine then that if your employer gave you less than the minimum notice and recompense you would be happy with that? Works both ways.
Old 14th Jun 2022, 11:31

Originally Posted by RavenOne
Sorry to hurt your feelings. You really believe FR is promoting the T&C's and improving employee's lifestyle? Delusional.
Feelings are not hurt. You are delusional and a sad individual. Won't be spending more time talking to people like you. Total waste of space
Old 14th Jun 2022, 11:38

Feelings are not hurt. You are delusional and a sad individual. Won't be spending more time talking to people like you. Total waste of space
Whatever makes you happy.
Old 14th Jun 2022, 12:11

I have always (twice) respected my notice period but for the crooks of Ryanair, who let you pay for your own uniform FFS, I wouldn’t think 2 seconds about it. It’s not your problem that they are short of crew. Just take your new job and never look back.
Old 14th Jun 2022, 12:30

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
It's not only the current employer's view. For all you know the relevant director there may themselves take a new position in future years elsewhere in the industry, above you, and remember the situation.

At least let your new employer know the situation, otherwise they may ask for a reference, this is refused, the new employer's HR policy is not to take people on without an adequate reference, and then you are stuffed.
Old 14th Jun 2022, 14:06

Originally Posted by WHBM
It's not only the current employer's view. For all you know the relevant director there may themselves take a new position in future years elsewhere in the industry, above you, and remember the situation.

At least let your new employer know the situation, otherwise they may ask for a reference, this is refused, the new employer's HR policy is not to take people on without an adequate reference, and then you are stuffed.
Ryanair never give references anyway so
Old 14th Jun 2022, 15:49

Originally Posted by WHBM
Valid point although I am pretty confident that I would not accept ever again a job in a company ran by FR's managers.
Old 14th Jun 2022, 16:23

I gave 3 weeks notice to FR and I was glad I did. They chased me for this £5k for a few weeks, even asked me to write an email to say I would pay it, Because they know they can’t enforce it. I never paid. They can’t prove loss of earnings on you. The also can’t charge you a penalty for leaving either. It’s funny how their contracts are there to restrict you working as a “contractor”. If they treated your right you wouldn’t leave in the first place.

A few weeks into the new company, the HR manager called me to ask how I got round it as they were offering to pay this penalty fee to FR and they wanted a way of getting out of it.
Old 14th Jun 2022, 17:33

Your new employee should respect your notice period from your current employee. Should they not, then it puts them in question. Just saying.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.