Wikiposts
Search
Aviation History and Nostalgia Whether working in aviation, retired, wannabee or just plain fascinated this forum welcomes all with a love of flight.

Aviogenex Tupolevs

Search this Thread

Old 25th May 2022, 10:08

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Aviogenex Tupolevs

Was there any particular reason Aviogenex ordered the TU134 when their friends at JAT and Inex Adria were operating Western-built airliners such as the DC9 and Caravelle ? I imagine it was part of a wider trade deal involving the General Export organisation and the Soviet Union. Eventually, the Tupolevs were pensioned off and Aviogenex became an all-Boeing operator until it ceased trading.
Old 25th May 2022, 10:26

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Mooncrest
Was there any particular reason Aviogenex ordered the TU134 when their friends at JAT and Inex Adria were operating Western-built airliners such as the DC9 and Caravelle ? I imagine it was part of a wider trade deal involving the General Export organisation and the Soviet Union. Eventually, the Tupolevs were pensioned off and Aviogenex became an all-Boeing operator until it ceased trading.
"Friends at JAT and Inex Adria"?? Not sure about that. Yugoslavia was a federal nation made up of six republics, so think of theses airlines in that context and the subsequent spliting up of Yugoslavia
Old 25th May 2022, 11:09

I didn't mean "friends" literally.
Old 25th May 2022, 13:26

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts
I remember one arriving at Glasgow in '72; touched down well past the mid point, brakes locked on and brake chute streamed.
After my runway inspection to make sure there were no lumps of rubber on the runway (just 2 continuous black lines) I went over and examined the holes in the tyres; don't think they could have had a re-tread after that.

Last edited by chevvron; 25th May 2022 at 13:58.
Old 25th May 2022, 13:35

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
Who repacked those brake chutes back then?
Old 25th May 2022, 14:00

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Less Hair
Who repacked those brake chutes back then?
I think they brought ready packed 'chutes with them and just put the used one in the hold; that's what they told us when we had 3 early Caravelles in.
Old 25th May 2022, 14:47

I didn't know the TU134 carried a brake chute. The early Caravelles did.
Old 25th May 2022, 17:55

Received 392 Likes on 207 Posts
Early 134 had a chute, no thrust reversers, the 134A introduced upgraded engines with reversers so chute was removed.
Old 26th May 2022, 04:28

Thanks Megan.
Old 26th May 2022, 06:43

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
The flight engineer had the job of substituting the replacement chute, in the hold, for the original one. Engineers back at base packed them.

Aviogenex worked through two generations of Tu134, for 1969 they got three of the original spec Tu134 "no suffix" aircraft. These went back to Tupolev in early 1971 (ending up inevitably at Aeroflot), and were replaced by eventually nine Tu134A over the following several years. It was one of these latter ones, only weeks old, that was lost at Rijeka in early season 1971 with British holidaymakers, overturning on touchdown. The 134 had a notably swept wing, which may have been a handful on low speed touchdown.

Must have been an August Saturday morning in 1980 I saw three of them lined up on a remote stand facing Manchester airport terminal, with the uniformed crews (notably without ties) out on the tarmac in discussions with one another. I don't know if they were sufficiently into western aviation that they could get fuel on normal credit terms, rather than the senior captain having to come with a bagful of US Dollars.

Known as "export models", the aircraft supplied to Eastern European operators had a different fitout compared to Aeroflot aircraft, with a number of systems replaced by western products, especially the Bendix weather radar which replaced the Soviet-style glazed nose for the navigator.. The deals for sale of these were typically made at the Leipzig trade fair in the GDR each year. Besides the usual East European suspects, fleets were also sold to Vietnam, Syria, etc, and a 20-year life was quite common.
Old 26th May 2022, 07:54

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
Must have been an August Saturday morning in 1980 I saw three of them lined up on a remote stand facing Manchester airport terminal, with the uniformed crews (notably without ties) out on the tarmac in discussions with one another. I don't know if they were sufficiently into western aviation that they could get fuel on normal credit terms, rather than the senior captain having to come with a bagful of US Dollars.
In terms of payment, Aviogenex were no different to any other airline. Only time I saw cash used was by the crew in the terminal shops...

Old 26th May 2022, 09:32
Gnome de PPRuNe

Received 290 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by WHBM
The 134 had a notably swept wing, which may have been a handful on low speed touchdown.
The 134's wing had slight anhedral, can't think of another low wing jet type so designed other than its older siblings, the 104 and 124 - how did that effect its handling?
Old 26th May 2022, 09:48

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by treadigraph
The 134's wing had slight anhedral, can't think of another low wing jet type so designed other than its older siblings, the 104 and 124 - how did that effect its handling?
High amounts of sweep tends to produce a dihedral effect, so the designed in anhedral is there probably to counter act this. The wings on these have quite a lot of sweep compared to western designs.
Old 26th May 2022, 10:46

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by megan
Early 134 had a chute, no thrust reversers, the 134A introduced upgraded engines with reversers so chute was removed.
I remember seeing a TU134 at Shannon in the '90s, which had left one of the thrust reversers on the runway after landing. The ring where it mounted on the back of the engine had cracked and failed.

Last edited by dixi188; 27th May 2022 at 08:47.
Old 26th May 2022, 19:39
Gnome de PPRuNe

Received 290 Likes on 158 Posts
Thanks DH106, always looked a bit odd to me!
Old 27th May 2022, 03:54

Received 392 Likes on 207 Posts
The wings on these have quite a lot of sweep compared to western designs
The sweep on the 134 was 35°, same as the B707, compared to B727 32° and B747 37.5°
High amounts of sweep tends to produce a dihedral effect, so the designed in anhedral is there probably to counter act this
Wonder why the difference in the Tu and Boeing.
Old 27th May 2022, 06:43

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
35 degrees

Trident was similar.
High speed delight to fly even in cruise back from Athens with the autopilot U/S but a handful on approach which was flown on the backside of the drag curve with mandatory auto throttle which was typical of the time..analogue and sluggish.
In comparison with the DC9 51 the Trident had loads of elevator control so flaring wasn't a problem.
DC 9 autothrottle was better but it is much easier to fly an approach with manual throttle.
Aerodynamically swept wing stability is interesting as I played around (and still do) with model aircraft. Low speed pitch unstable but very stable in roll but at high speed extremely pitch stable.
Tupolov; went onto the flight deck on a parked one in Sofia which had the access for the navigator position (nose) where the throttles should be in the instrument panel. Rumour was that the aircraft commander sat behind the pilots.
Old 27th May 2022, 06:57

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by blind pew
Tupolov; went onto the flight deck on a parked one in Sofia which had the access for the navigator position (nose) where the throttles should be in the instrument panel. Rumour was that the aircraft commander sat behind the pilots.
Tunnel down to the nav position normally covered by a loose curtain (green, of course, like the rest of the flight deck, from a Soviet ergonomic study). On one occasion on a 134 an attempted hijacker entered the flight deck, had the pilots accounted for, but suddenly the nav sprang out from behind the curtain and did for him !

Various stories about a fixed spy camera in the glazed nose at the nav position, seen when parked, which turn out to be someone unable to tell the difference between a camera and the Soviet-era mounted celestial sextant.
Old 27th May 2022, 08:18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread took me back. I think to the mid 1980's. I flew to Dubrovnik from LGW with Aviogenex on a TU-134. I remember nothing of the flight on the way out but when we returned to Gatwick, I distinctly remember some serious braking after touchdown. Felt like mechanical braking. It was so extreme that some of the passenger seats backs tipped all the way forward. I always wondered what happened there as it was quite violent. I don't recall the crew mentioning anything (at least not in English).

P.S. I still have a baggage tag with Aviogenex logo on it.
Old 27th May 2022, 08:29

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by NineEighteen
I flew to Dubrovnik from LGW with Aviogenex on a TU-134.
Blimey - you were brave
I thought I was brave enough flying out of Gatters in a Sabre Airways 727

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.