The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions The place for students, instructors and charter guys in Oz, NZ and the rest of Oceania.

Recommend an aircraft for me.

Old 24th May 2022, 11:59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommend an aircraft for me.

I'm hoping to find some guidance for some starting points for suitable planes for me to research. This started by planes for sale coming up on my feed for what I thought were reasonable prices.

Current wish list....
  • Under $80,000
  • Safe and reliable
  • 4 seats and room for some luggage, not deal breaker, 2 seats with some space would ok
  • More performance than not, I've raced most things, not saying I'm interested in racing it but something more responcive would be nice
  • I'm likely to land on some less well maintained runways, maybe beaches

TIADave
Old 24th May 2022, 13:16

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
Dave, I'm assuming this is not a wind up.

You wish list aircraft does not exist. Pick perhaps any two attributes.

Look at C172, C182, PA28.

A C182 will give you what you want for $300,000+
Old 24th May 2022, 18:06

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Closest I could come up with would be a J430/J230 but they're not exactly what I would call sporty. Or responsive.

You're going to have to spend a lot more than $80K to find something that ticks all those boxes. Or even most of them...
Old 24th May 2022, 19:56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. Unfortunately, I'm not able to post pictures or link URL's yet, but on Facebook an add just came up for a Piper Archer 2, 1974, (Facebook group - Aircraft for sale Australia), they are asking 100k but some adds for different aircraft come up from time to time for 50&60k.

I'm not really sure what I'm looking at as far as my list goes and the planes are pretty old but look tidy and suitable, these types of adds are what sparked my interest.
Old 24th May 2022, 21:31

Received 191 Likes on 98 Posts
J230, quite a workhorse, excellent space and carrying capacity. Can handle grass and dirt but isn’t a stol machine. It’s good for around 120 knots which is “sporty” when compared to an old 172 or Archer. A 230 will beat a 150hp Archer III.

If you take off behind a 172 or Cherokee or similar in class D, the tower will give you them as traffic ahead, so that will give you a little shot of adrenaline that you’re flying something fast.

You can find them with Jabiru or Rotax engines, so no need to slag them off for an unreliable engine. Can be had for not a lot over AUD$120k, so streets ahead of anything euro ported as for the same new, you’d have to spend well over $200k and of course, Australian made.
Old 24th May 2022, 21:37

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Robinson STOL Cessna TU 206 with bush wheels.
Old 24th May 2022, 22:36

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Grumman Tiger (or Cheetah)
Old 24th May 2022, 23:23

Received 415 Likes on 229 Posts
Only aircraft that would come close in the price ranges is an old Piper Archer or Cessna 182, even then you will be buying a 'renovators dream' or very high hours. Piper Warriors and Cessna 172 will almost be the same price due to demand for training aircraft. Even in the US used 4 place trainer styles are hard to come by, so the price is up there.
Old 24th May 2022, 23:40

Received 198 Likes on 110 Posts
The $80K price on most GA aircraft indicates the engine is time expired, "on condition" and prop close to overhaul.

Expect to need a second mortgage to pay for an engine and prop overhaul.

I've owned seven aircraft, seven boats and five sports cars over my long life, the rest of my earnings I spent foolishly.

I recommend a Bex Powder and a quiet lie down. Far cheaper than paying $80K plus for something which in reality is probably worth 10 cents per kg at Simms Metal.
Old 25th May 2022, 00:08

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts
Double the budget and buy an RV 7 or RV 8. Plus they're good for gentle aerobatics... if you've raced motorcycles this attribute should be top of your list.
Old 25th May 2022, 00:36

Received 415 Likes on 229 Posts
The $80K price on most GA aircraft indicates the engine is time expired, "on condition" and prop close to overhaul.
And that's the tip of the 'known' iceberg. Add AD compliance, corrosion, maintenance history, overhaul history, paint, interior, instruments, even the ****e rubber on the wheels costs a lot to replace. Then airport fees, hangarage fees and charges etc etc. If you skimp too much on price of purchase and don't do the hard work getting a good one you may never fly it due cost of making it airworthy. Not trying to put you off, but you have to go into aviation with 'enough' cash to make it enjoyable. I've owned and managed quite a number of aircraft and its fun and rewarding, but some will drive you nuts and bankrupt if you don't know what you are doing. That being said, boats are cheaper but far worse ongoing cost wise, I'd much rather bare the costs of an aircraft over a boat, watercraft just try to destroy themselves when doing nothing.
Old 25th May 2022, 01:31

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
If you're thinking 80k then your only real possibility for something that isn't going to cost you a LOT more in the long run (As others above have mentioned above) is to look for a Syndicate or try and see if you can organise one yourself. I'm guessing you're not planning flying this thing every single weekend so why would you want to own the whole thing by yourself? Get a few people together, buy something you all REALLY like and reap the benefits with the only real downsides being having to let people know when you're using it and coordinating things like maintenance schedules etc...
Old 25th May 2022, 03:08

Received 391 Likes on 206 Posts
If something falls into the three F's category you best rent rather than buy.
Old 25th May 2022, 09:28

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Squawk7700
J230,

You can find them with Jabiru or Rotax engines, so no need to slag them off for an unreliable engine. Can be had for not a lot over AUD$120k, d of course, Australian made.
I think the latest Jab engines are fairly reliable. They've made a lot of improvements.
Agree re 230, nice to fly, IMO.
Old 25th May 2022, 09:31

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Tail Wheel, your post is good argument for the prunes to add a like button.
Old 25th May 2022, 11:33

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Velocity SE / XL
https://www.velocityaircraft.com/se

Old 25th May 2022, 12:50
swh

Eidolon

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Bearhawk patrol $80k, https://www.fieldair.com.au/ad_category/aircraft-sales/
Old 25th May 2022, 21:48

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
See, it’s like a supermarket…so many to choose from, how to decide which to pick .The one with the schmicky coloured packet/ paint job.?
I suspect you will have to look/ fly/ research all this yourself. To make a decision.. yourself.
Kissing yr cheque book goodbye will be a first of many decisions in aviation.
Lotsa luck !
Old 26th May 2022, 07:46

Received 149 Likes on 101 Posts
Wait 5 years and when there is no more avgas and mogas is 5 bucks a litre, owners of piston aircraft will beg you to fly them away from where they are racking up standing costs. Meantime expect airport costs to increase, as supply reduces with flat land ripe for other development. As the fleet ages, accident rate is likely to increase, because cheap aircraft often attract inexperienced owners who can’t afford maintenance, so up go insurance premiums. Insurers may impose requirements which are costly or even impossible to comply with.
Used piston aircraft will soon be scrap value, so about the worst investment one could make, with big power boats a close second.

Last edited by Mach E Avelli; 26th May 2022 at 21:19.
Old 29th May 2022, 18:27

Received 112 Likes on 54 Posts

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.