Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Biz Jets, Ag Flying, GA etc.
Reload this Page >

Tips from those in the know

Wikiposts
Search
Biz Jets, Ag Flying, GA etc. The place for discussion of issues related to corporate, Ag and GA aviation. If you're a professional pilot and don't fly for the airlines then try here.

Search this Thread

Old 18th May 2022, 05:01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All!

Another fresh CPL here, undertaking some more training to get rating etc.

Looking for stories from people from when they started out that will show things to avoid eg dodgey things employers do. How to tell a boss you are not flying VFR into the soup how to go from Min hours flying a C182 for sky diving op's to multi charters etc.

Any stories, tips or advice would be great.
Old 18th May 2022, 09:00

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hjthedriver
Any stories, tips or advice would be great.
My stories I don't tell in public ;-) but you can get my best advice: Do everything you can to join a commercial operator (*) who has been on the market for a long time (decades!) and who operates more than just two or three aircraft. This usually (not always though...) indicates tthat a certain safety/quality standard has been achieved and the more planes on the fleet, the more experienced (training) captains there will be who can teach you everything that the flying school has not tought you. Training on the job in a safe and secure environment, just as in the airlines.

Avoid at all cost to fly as "safety pilot" with self flying owners unless you are very experienced yourself, ideally holding an instructors and/or TRI certificate. Otherwise you will only get to do the "dirty work" (flight planning, radio, aircraft cleaning, rental car and hotel booking,...) with next to zero stick time of your own whist being exposed to hair-rasinig harakiri flying from the person next to you. How do I know that? I told you already that I will not tell any stories in public

The very best thing is to talk in person - not on the internet or via mail or social media - to active pilots. Maybe you can get access to a crew room or general aviation terminal at an airfield/airport in your vicinity. Just chat with anyone who looks like a pilot. Many of our colleagues are quite talkative and open minded and will tell you what it's like to fly for their company and if there are any vacancies. At my homebase there are (or rather were - before Covid) regularly so called "pilot controller meetings" held, that can be joined by anyone belonging to either group, usually as a barbecue or similar event. That's always an eccellent occasion to find out first hand what's going on.

(*) or corporate flying department if you can get into one (not really realistic for an absolute beginner)
Old 18th May 2022, 09:26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, go and knock on doors at airports, FBOs, operators etc..
Old 18th May 2022, 09:47

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
G'day hjthedriver, I see you're in Australia. I haven't worked in Australia for over 20 years but at one time long ago, I had a fresh CPL and a bunch of enthusiasm. If you go over to the Australia/New Zealand forum you'll find a lot of great advice.
Good luck.
Old 18th May 2022, 14:40

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
How to avoid dodgy operators? Self discipline mainly. Just don't jeopardise your life for an hour or two's flight. Have you joined the AFAP? You should. Know the award and what you're entitled to and don't be afraid to point it out to your employer if he/she's deviating wildly from it. Your contract/agreement ought to be respected and you need to respect your employer too.
How to be employable?
Dangerous goods certificate. First aid certificate. If you're heading off to the touristy areas (Broome, Kununurra, Kakadu etc), if you can get minibus etc on your driver's licence. If you can get some experience doing 50-100 hourlies, do that.