Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions
Reload this Page >

Friendliest Airports For GA in Australia?

Wikiposts
Search
The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions The place for students, instructors and charter guys in Oz, NZ and the rest of Oceania.

Search this Thread

Old 17th May 2022, 18:14

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts

For balance perhaps?

My limited experience: Swan Hill, Wentworth have friendly aero clubs, toilets and are relaxed about parking within reason. Wentworth has frozen food, a microwave and honesty box for hungry pilots. Broken Hill is not bad either. Wangaratta ditto.
Old 17th May 2022, 22:22

Received 245 Likes on 124 Posts
Off the top of my head…Arkaroola, Goolwa, Leigh Creek, Swan Hill, Deniliquin, Naracoorte, Cootamundra (though Council working on getting unfriendly), Temora, Cowra, Echuca (though Council working on getting unfriendly), Kerang, Millicent, Robe, Wentworth (though Council has introduced landing fees - we’ll see how long they last), Moruya (worth the fee), Mudgee, Narromine, Parkes, Forbes, William Creek (despite the fee charged by the ‘Progress Association’ - read: Trev), Forrest, Louth, White Cliffs..
Old 18th May 2022, 00:05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clinton McKenzie
Off the top of my head…Arkaroola, Goolwa, Leigh Creek, Swan Hill, Deniliquin, Naracoorte, Cootamundra (though Council working on getting unfriendly), Temora, Cowra, Echuca (though Council working on getting unfriendly), Kerang, Millicent, Robe, Wentworth (though Council has introduced landing fees - we’ll see how long they last), Moruya (worth the fee), Mudgee, Narromine, Parkes, Forbes, William Creek (despite the fee charged by the ‘Progress Association’ - read: Trev), Forrest, Louth, White Cliffs..
Reminds me of the song "I’ve been everywhere, man ....."
Old 18th May 2022, 01:51

Slowly working my way through ERSA!
Old 18th May 2022, 12:31

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Flew into Port Pirie for fuel late last year coming home from SA. Was warmly greeted by one of the locals prepping for his flight before I'd even got out of the RV. Nice looking aero club building there too. Low fences, no ASIC, all in all just seemed to have a nice feel to it. Don't recall being stung for a landing fee either...
Old 18th May 2022, 22:25

Aldinga Airfield, south of Adelaide. Great coffee and cakes! Can get busy on weekends.
Old 18th May 2022, 23:30

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Southwest Air Base at Charleville. Pete, Cracker and Warwick always ready with a 'G'day", fuel and food. Great place to stop in western Queensland.
Old 19th May 2022, 02:38

Yes - should have mentioned Port Pirie.

Nullabor Motel is great. Avgas, food, bed and strip all within stone’s throw of each other. Perfect staging point for a day trip into Maralinga.

Haven’t flown into Aldinga - hope to, soon.

Portland, Alice Springs, Tumut…
Old 19th May 2022, 03:55

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts
The helipad beside the Mawson accomodation wing at Arkaroola is pretty good.
Old 19th May 2022, 05:45

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
Anything Arkaroola is great. Stayed in Mawson a few weeks ago. Wether its your first time there or your twentieth there is always something to see, do or learn. Doug and his staff are the perfect hosts. I'm hopefully heading that way again next month.

If you are going there, apart from ringing to check the strip, I usually ask if there are any bits and pieces Doug needs that I can pick up and always take a selection of the latest newspapers and womens weekly for the staff. (Note to self: I owe Doug some high strength epoxy)
Old 19th May 2022, 07:12

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes to Arkaroola, and adding Clare Valley. Locals are rightly proud of the community-built facility. You can get access to the club rooms with the code. Honesty system for refreshments, even the ones that the region is famous for!

Adding Murray Bridge, Horsham for courtesy cars.
Old 19th May 2022, 08:24

Tocumwal

Tocumwal is on top of my list.
The Aero Club building is always open. They have regular social events. Murray Border Flying Club Tocumwal : Home

New museum with a great cafe. https://www.tocumwalaviationmuseum.com.au/

The local council even seems proud of it https://www.berriganshire.nsw.gov.au...ions/airfields

Lots of aviation residents on the airport now, as an airpark.
Old 19th May 2022, 09:50

Received 176 Likes on 102 Posts
Tocumwal is on top of my list.
It's where Pip's Edge lives now right?

Old 19th May 2022, 09:56

Originally Posted by tossbag
It's where Pip's Edge lives now right?
yes indeed
Old 19th May 2022, 10:01

Received 176 Likes on 102 Posts
I've been hearing good things about what's happening in Toc
Old 19th May 2022, 12:48

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can anyone tell me what Temora is like?
I’d like to fly in one day, ideally for the air show weekend.
Old 20th May 2022, 01:13

Temora is very ‘GA friendly’. Just do the normal pre-flight homework and you’ll be fine.

(Haven’t been to Tocumwal for quite a while. Will have to visit again, soon. Have added Clare Valley to the ‘must visit’ list.)
Old 2nd Oct 2022, 08:31

Went on a jolly through Clare Valley today. Great spot and a credit to all the hard work and coordination that went in to funding and building a first class piece of GA infrastructure. Go there and enjoy!
Old 2nd Oct 2022, 08:50

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Bar a minority of whingers in the local population, Tyabb is absolutely awesome!
Old 3rd Oct 2022, 07:07

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Clinton McKenzie
Went on a jolly through Clare Valley today. Great spot and a credit to all the hard work and coordination that went in to funding and building a first class piece of GA infrastructure. Go there and enjoy!
Yep, Clare Valley is amazing. Stopped there for an overnight a couple of days ago, they even have a free courtesy car! Couldn't believe it. It's the prettiest airport I've ever landed at, has a nice runway, easy refuelling, great facilities and the aero club people we talked to get the car organised were incredibly helpful. It's all set up for the visiting pilot, everything is labelled/sign posted so you know what the deal is, it's very thoughtfully organised. And no landing fees. Left a donation because I was blown away.

Also agreeing with whoever said Tocumwal, say hi to Eddie if you're up there and get a tailwheel endo in his Eurofox!

Horsham is pretty good too if you're in rural VIC, two nice big runways and comfy club rooms.

And another vote for Arkaroola. Not cheap at all, but a stunning location, and Doug is a fantastic host with a deep knowledge of the area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.