Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Flying Instructors & Examiners
Reload this Page >

Using EASA registered aircraft in a UK CAA registered DTO

Flying Instructors & Examiners A place for instructors to communicate with one another because some of them get a bit tired of the attitude that instructing is the lowest form of aviation, as seems to prevail on some of the other forums!

Using EASA registered aircraft in a UK CAA registered DTO

Old 21st Mar 2021, 06:08
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: UK Bucks
Age: 44
Posts: 300
Using EASA registered aircraft in a UK CAA registered DTO

Does anyone know if we are able to use EASA registered aircraft to train within a UK DTO? Couldn't find anything to say otherwise.
coodem is offline  
Old 21st Mar 2021, 13:20
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 13,900
You couldn't routinely run an EU registered airliner in a UK AOC, but the UK/EU agreement sections on aviation (a) allow for short term expediency, and (b) explicitly exclude light GA activities from the rules. So basically there's no absolute prohibition, and it's going to depend upon how the CAA feel on the matter. I don't believe that there's any rule either permitting, or prohibiting this.

Ultimately however, it'll be about the same rules as would apply to use of an N-reg aeroplane. I believe that's acceptable with written permission from both FAA and CAA, and has been done.

Genghis the Engineer is online now  
Old 21st Mar 2021, 15:41
  #3 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: UK Bucks
Age: 44
Posts: 300
I thought it would end like this, requiring approval from both sides. Hopefully will only be a temporary thing. So hoping thatvwill make it more favourable for them to approve.
coodem is offline  
Old 21st Mar 2021, 18:37
  #4 (permalink)  
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Bressuire
Posts: 419
I would act with care. Historically a pilot could receive limited instruction on their non UK aeroplane but not instruction for the gaining of a licence or rating. The reason for this was the restrictions that limited hire and reward for a non UK, and once upon a time non EASA, aircraft and which was not part not part of an AOC valid for UK airspace. Anything to do with EASA is in a state of uncertainty as the CAA make their way through the mountain of rule making and all the ifs and buts required since December 31st.

The CAA will be hopeless on this and will take months to respond if they do. The best course of action is to contact the Department of Transport who will make the decision anyway.
Fl1ingfrog is offline  
Old 2nd Apr 2021, 12:06
  #5 (permalink)  
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: UK
Posts: 317
And don't forget that the instructor needs an EASA licence or a validation from EASA to fly it. Any student going solo in it would need an EASA medical cert.
I know of one UK approved ATO who are using an Austrian aircraft for a UK course. They have an EASA licensed Spanish instructor flying it and send the students solo in a different airframe.
Stan Evil is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.