Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Flying Instructors & Examiners
Reload this Page >

Radio Licence in Austria

Flying Instructors & Examiners A place for instructors to communicate with one another because some of them get a bit tired of the attitude that instructing is the lowest form of aviation, as seems to prevail on some of the other forums!

Radio Licence in Austria

Old 16th Sep 2020, 07:55
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Berlin
Posts: 9
Radio Licence in Austria

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a bit of advice. I am an Austrian ATPL holder, and I am about to do an SEP(land) checkride to reissue the class rating.
I obtained my licence at Oxford Aviation Academy as a (f)ATPL from the UK CAA, which later was unfrozen and 2 years ago transferred to Austrocontrol for professional requirements.
During my time at OAA, obviously we did the theoretical and practical exams to get the radio licence, which was represented in the licence under section XII as ''The holder of this licence has demonstrated competence to operate R/T equipment on board aircraft in English''
This is also, word for word, stated in my Austrocontrol ATPL.
However, my instructor stated I need a separate Radio Licence (AFZ) and need to carry it with me at all times when flying, and thus when doing the exam. I however, wasn't issued one when I converted my licence and neither did I know this was a requirement. Even with the Airbus I fly professionally and had a ramp check in Germany (same requirement apparently) this was never an issue.
My question is, do I actually need to carry one or is section XII of the licence enough? Could this become an issue when being ramp checked on any plane? And could I get one without doing the exams again?

Thanks in advance.
SavedByTheTCAS is online now  
Old 16th Sep 2020, 08:21
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Europe
Posts: 6,177
There is absolutely no requirement to have a seperate radio licence. There is no such thing under EASA, the privileges are contained within your ATPL. The UK used to issue a seperate radiotelephony licence however; that was also incorporated into the pilot licence. ICAO Annex 1 states that the radio licence may be either a seperate licence or may be incorporated into an other flight crew licence at the discretion of the NAA. The only place where reference is made to a sepearate radio licence is in the ITU General Radio Regulations Article 37 which specifies the format of a radiotelephony licence with which neither the UK nor the EASA licences comply.

If the State of Licence Issue require you to have a seperate radio licence to meet the ITU requirement then they should issue it to you on the basis of the licence you already hold.

Holders of a FAA pilot certificate must hold a FCC radiotelephony licence when operating outside the USA, something many holders do not know.
Whopity is offline  
Old 16th Sep 2020, 12:13
  #3 (permalink)  
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Age: 56
Posts: 223
Holders of a FAA pilot certificate must hold a FCC radiotelephony licence when operating outside the USA, something many holders do not know.

not everywhere, but regardless, in the places it IS required, (like the Bahamas and pretty much everywhere Iíve flown in South America), Iíve never been asked to produce it. I do have one, and it took me about 15 minutes online and cost, as I recall, less than $20 to obtain it.
421dog is offline  
Old 16th Sep 2020, 14:12
  #4 (permalink)  
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 61
A very weird requirement indeed. Should already be part of the ATPL.
And you are trying to activate a class rating. Not a license.
And what about just flying in E,F and G space? No radio required. Not that I think it is a good idea.

My advice: Call Austrocontrol and ask them. They are the authority, not the instructor.
Their website has the contact information. And they have a link to Part FCL. Check subsection H on class ratings requirements.
Archer4 is offline  
Old 17th Sep 2020, 08:09
  #5 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Berlin
Posts: 9
After having consulted another instructor as well, the confusion seems to be that the flying club usually only deals with new VFR RPL/PPL students, which then it is a requirement, since the radio licence is not part of the PPL course, you could theoretically fly only in E, F & G airspaces. You do need a separate RT licence to pass the initial PPL checkride, whereas with ATPL or CPL it seems to be integrated.
Funny thing here is that Austrocontrol do not issue the R/T licences, but another authority does.

As with my licence, we came to the conclusion that if you hold a CPL or ATPL, you have demonstrated your ability for R/T capabilities.
After asking the first instructor to show me the relevant rules to carry an RT licence, he conveniently couldn't find it.

Thanks all!
SavedByTheTCAS is online now  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.