Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Misc. Forums > Aviation History and Nostalgia
Reload this Page >

Tallboy explodes in Poland

Aviation History and Nostalgia Whether working in aviation, retired, wannabee or just plain fascinated this forum welcomes all with a love of flight.

Tallboy explodes in Poland

Old 18th Oct 2020, 06:03
  #81 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 195
Originally Posted by Beamr View Post
according to google: Torpex + some TNT.

tallboy link

"The Torpex filling was poured into the base of the upturned casing by hand, after melting it in "kettles". The final stage of explosive filling required that a one-inch layer of pure TNT be poured over the Torpex filling, followed by sealing the base with a 4-inch (100 mm) layer of woodmeal-wax composite with three cylindrical recesses fitted with the explosive boosters and into which (when the bomb was finally armed), a total of three chemical time-fuses were inserted."
Not a job I'd do. Melting explosives and pouring them in by hand.
RickNRoll is offline  
Old 18th Oct 2020, 06:24
  #82 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 12,173
Originally Posted by Pugilistic Animus View Post
The assembly of the detonation powder train of a bomb is called a "fuze"
cool mechanism as a timing device.

​​​​​Sorry for pedantry
"Two nations divided by a common language"
DaveReidUK is offline  
Old 18th Oct 2020, 07:46
  #83 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The No Transgression Zone
Posts: 2,329
Originally Posted by RickNRoll View Post
Not a job I'd do. Melting explosives and pouring them in by hand.
TNT has a fairly low melting point and that's is the reason why it was so popular. Because it can be poured into shells and other ordnance. Melting TNT is safe RDX however has a relatively high melting point

Firework are actually more dangerous to make and require immense amount of safety precautions to do safely and they must at the same time be asthetically pleasing.

In all reality, fireworks are extremely difficult to master and fireworks are more dangerous than HEX...and they are very unforgiving

Last edited by Pugilistic Animus; 18th Oct 2020 at 11:04.
Pugilistic Animus is online now  
Old 18th Oct 2020, 07:59
  #84 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The No Transgression Zone
Posts: 2,329
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK View Post
"Two nations divided by a common language"
Well in the case of fuze vs fuse, a fuse is the part of the the primary ignition source and the first part of a powder train...like.... fuse... blasting cap or fuse.... bursting charge. A Fuze is the complete powder train leading to the detonation of HEXs...a Fuze is most commonly associated with ordnance.

​​​​​​
Just to add to the confusion there's also a fuseť which is a flare
Pugilistic Animus is online now  
Old 18th Oct 2020, 09:56
  #85 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Auckland, NZ
Age: 76
Posts: 565
Originally Posted by Pugilistic Animus View Post
Well in the case of fuze vs fuse, a fuse is the part of the the primary ignition source and the first part of a powder train...like.... fuse... blasting cap or fuse.... bursting charge. A Fuze is the complete powder train leading to the detonation of HEXs...a Fuze is most commonly associated with ordnance.
​​​
In what context does that distinction apply? It is not made in normal English, either UK or US, in which "fuze" is a less frequent variant spelling of "fuse" in all senses (so it's not the -s- -z- variation, which is typically UK vs US usage, except for Oxford University Press house style, which mostly uses -z-). It might be that in the technical language of some particular part of the explosives community that distinction is made, but it would be nice to know what part. It's not a general distinction.
FlightlessParrot is offline  
Old 18th Oct 2020, 10:57
  #86 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The No Transgression Zone
Posts: 2,329
Originally Posted by FlightlessParrot View Post
In what context does that distinction apply? It is not made in normal English, either UK or US, in which "fuze" is a less frequent variant spelling of "fuse" in all senses (so it's not the -s- -z- variation, which is typically UK vs US usage, except for Oxford University Press house style, which mostly uses -z-). It might be that in the technical language of some particular part of the explosives community that distinction is made, but it would be nice to know what part. It's not a general distinction.
See, Dr. Tenny Lombard Davis " The Chemistry of Powder and Explosives"Professor Emeritus of Organic Chemistry, MIT
Pugilistic Animus is online now  
Old 18th Oct 2020, 11:13
  #87 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: London UK
Posts: 6,522
I can't believe the line that the explosion was unexpected. All sorts of perfectly pointed cameras and even drones aimed at exactly where it went off.

Regarding still finding unexploded ordnance, only a few years ago the at the gasworks which is north of the east end of the London City runway, an unexploded bomb was discovered at the bottom of one of the large gasometers, it had been laying there for 70 years underneath n million cubic feet of gas. Records showed it had been holed, not found at the time so written off as shrapnel damage.
WHBM is offline  
Old 19th Oct 2020, 09:39
  #88 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Sussex
Posts: 155
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
I think that wartime raid film shows this Tallboy making a splash in water, as there is a splash that is a lot smaller than the other Tallboys that clearly explode, and its a big enough splash to be a 12000lb Tallboy hitting the water and not going off.....and if you freeze frame both films and screen shot it, it does look very close to being the same one.....but I'm not an expert.
The ship would have been in front of the saw tooth dock structure that has been built since, but the jetty coming down from the two U-Boat pens on the opposite site appears to be roughly the same still.

The second bomb went in very close to the one that was in the process of exploding, both in distance and time, could the first bomb have slowed the descent of the first one in the water or toppled it enough to stop it exploding?
WB627 is offline  
Old 19th Oct 2020, 13:32
  #89 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Manchester
Age: 42
Posts: 601
Originally Posted by Pugilistic Animus View Post
TNT and RDX are very stable explosives.
RDX isn't that stable. Surprised they didn't use PETN. Still an interestingly designed bomb. This is from a Chem MSc grad before a black Vectra pulls up outside my door. Biggest bang I've ever heard was when some idiot put H202 into the waste organic jar. Not a great idea. Took out most of the tiles in the fume cupboard. I'd assume you'd class that as a detonation.
Ex Cargo Clown is offline  
Old 19th Oct 2020, 15:10
  #90 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The No Transgression Zone
Posts: 2,329
Originally Posted by Ex Cargo Clown View Post
RDX isn't that stable. Surprised they didn't use PETN. Still an interestingly designed bomb. This is from a Chem MSc grad before a black Vectra pulls up outside my door. Biggest bang I've ever heard was when some idiot put H202 into the waste organic jar. Not a great idea. Took out most of the tiles in the fume cupboard. I'd assume you'd class that as a detonation.
I've never heard of RDX based C4 undergoing degeneration, ie producing brown fumes
I wish that I could have done PETN but if I ordered the reagents for it... someone would have gotten suspicious
I don't have the data on RDX but the RE and brisance of RDX and PETN are close
The most powerful explosive synthesized in large amounts is HMX
( Cyclotetramethylaminetetranitramine)
' fume cupboard' LOL....here in the US, it's the fume hood
H2O2 oxidizing everything...

Last edited by Pugilistic Animus; 22nd Oct 2020 at 13:19.
Pugilistic Animus is online now  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.