PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific (https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific-90/)
-   -   All borders to reopen. (https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/632861-all-borders-reopen.html)

itsnotthatbloodyhard 11th Feb 2021 04:37

Sunfish accusing other people of ‘bleating’ and ‘carping’ has just made my day. :ok:

Global Aviator 11th Feb 2021 05:10


Originally Posted by Sunfish (Post 10988210)
Lets get one thing straight...

Since the prohibition on cruise ships and an isolated case or two on cargo ships, there is only one other way that the country is now subjected to receiving infected individuals - international air travel.

That firstly means that bleating by international pilots and airlines is just that - self interested crap. The Federal Government and the states have already been overly generous, in my opinion, in permitting any international arrivals of passengers at all.

Given that generosity, it is even worse when we hear International pilots carping about lockdown conditions, etc., when the need for such measures is directly caused by their employers activities.

It should also be of interest to domestic RPT pilots because without the constant stream of infected individuals from overseas we would have beaten this virus by now and could have reopened the whole domestic RPT and tourism market

My suggestion is that there should be only two quarantine locations Christmas and Manus Islands. No one gets to land here unless they are tested Covid free for fourteen days.

Seriously Christmas Island and Manus Island? Yeah thatís a great solution, logistically very easy to achieve and really helps getting cargo into Aus, brilliant.

Letís look at what is currently working, erm Howard Springs! There have been no cases escape, so now maybe itís time to ramp up the facility and capability. No doubt Wagnerís will get their way and build another purpose built facility next to Wellcamp. HQ is far from perfect but what is the actual percentage of cases that have escaped into the community? So the holes in the ole Swiss need to be filled in. Perfect it ainít but itís all that is currently available.

Or the old fook off weíre full, is that what you prefer. Best tell that to all the Aussies who have been trying to get home since March. Some with over 8 cancelled flights, others paying huge fares due to the caps. The QF charter flights are great but nowhere near enough.

I certainly want all kinds of travel back, even domestic travel without having to worry about borders and quarantine.

The solution?

McLimit 11th Feb 2021 05:12


To me, YES, it would! I make no secret of that fact, nor apologies for it.
HEAR, HEAR!


But in saying that, I am happy to accept personal responsibility for my health, and tolerate minor inconveniences (masks/social distancing/hand sanitiser on entry, for eg) to allow life to continue as normally as possible, as it does in NSW (who has kept borders open almost entirely throughout...).
I will take the consequences of personal responsibility, everyday of the year and twice on Sundays. How society ever let itself get to the point where cretins are thanking State Premiers for 'keeping me safe' from something that can be controlled by washing your ******* hands and not ******* coughing and sneezing on people is beyond my comprehension.


By the same token, I don't smoke so, personally, I don't consider the 8,000-odd deaths from preventable lung cancer a year as being "OK". But hey, the rest of Australia seems to think that killing 8,000 citizens a year by the sales of tobacco products is perfectly fine! So who's right?
So the Premier that's keeping you safe from the flu is allowing thousands of their residents to suck a pox into your lungs, and a fair smack them to die, all because it makes them back a few quid in federal taxes?


My point is, if the Government has had a financial model for acceptable risk (including death) v reward for decades, and they threw it out the window for COVID. However, the Government - of all persuasions - is happy to rake in the billions of dollars from tobacco excise, despite knowing it is one of the leading causes of preventable deaths in Australia.
Sooooooo, medical ethicists have been making decisions on who lives/who dies in hospitals for decades, where the money is best spent and on who based on value to the community and economy. But NOW.......NOW, all of a sudden this is HORRENDOUS!!!


You can't have it both ways.
It appears you can have it both ways if you are from a certain age group and generation. To my way of thinking there appears to be a significant degradation in your mental thought processes once you get to this age, all of a sudden the risks you weighed up and took in your younger years go out the window and you now want to be all nice and cosy in your cotton wool. Problem is, everyone else in the community pays the price.

SOPS 11th Feb 2021 06:21

On the 3pm news Mr McGowan is hinting the hard border with Victoria might come back.

SHVC 11th Feb 2021 06:43

How is DA still in control of Victoria! It’s Febuary he has canceled ANZAC day already but hey let’s hold a tennis match. This guy is flawed on every way.

compressor stall 11th Feb 2021 06:48


Originally Posted by Sunfish (Post 10988210)
My suggestion is that there should be only two quarantine locations Christmas and Manus Islands. No one gets to land here unless they are tested Covid free for fourteen days.

Stupidest thing I have read so far on this thread, and that's saying something.

PoppaJo 11th Feb 2021 06:52


Originally Posted by SOPS (Post 10988256)
On the 3pm news Mr McGowan is hinting the hard border with Victoria might come back.

Most of Victoria couldnít give two shits. I think the same could be said for most of the country.


SOPS 11th Feb 2021 07:01


Originally Posted by SHVC (Post 10988267)
How is DA still in control of Victoria! Itís Febuary he has canceled ANZAC day already but hey letís hold a tennis match. This guy is flawed on every way.

No Anzac Day, but BLM marches and Tennis are all fine?

WingNut60 11th Feb 2021 07:07


Originally Posted by PoppaJo (Post 10988275)
Most of Victoria couldnít give two shits. I think the same could be said for most of the country.

Correct. So why the constant bleating on this thread?

Telfer86 11th Feb 2021 07:15

TWT you are right , I just had a quick glance. But that is the point really convoluted , complex rules that are continually changing

Looks like WA will shut to Vict , Qld now have restrictions & are watching very closely

Staff infected from two quarantine hotels in Melb, the nebuliser theory is a wonderful red herring. Took Dan & the gang less than
two months to muck up hotel quarantine yet again after the July 2020 master class. Still all boasting about how how the Vics are the best & we teach all the plebs
from the other states how to hotel quarantine

There will be more transmissions from other quarantine hotels in Melbourne , nothing is more certain

These characters have destroyed aviation & travel not Alan or Jayne or even CASA

Oh yes we couldn't do Anzac day ,but "Mums the word" for BLM , Dan went to ground for a couple of days

PJ : well maybe those who have commercial interests that cross interstate borders or work for airlines or any hotac related field or drive a taxi or simply want a
holiday in WA do actually give as you say a sh## or two

currawong 11th Feb 2021 07:32

Hey McLimit, let me see if I've got this right...

You are concerned about risk aversion in others.

But are risk averse when it comes to the economy...

"You can't have it both ways."

"It appears you can have it both ways"

Yes, it appears you can. :ok:






SOPS 11th Feb 2021 11:36

Two more cases just now.. here we go again!!!


And now there are people able to slip past staff to deliver a PlayStation to a room!! Itís all going so well. I bet by Saturday, cases in Melbourne will be in the 100s!!

goodonyamate 11th Feb 2021 18:49


Originally Posted by SOPS (Post 10988498)
Two more cases just now.. here we go again!!!


And now there are people able to slip past staff to deliver a PlayStation to a room!! Itís all going so well. I bet by Saturday, cases in Melbourne will be in the 100s!!

pretty sure youíre in WA (or SW China, same sort of Ďleadershipí style) where the brainwashin and fear mongering is at its finest.

the 2 cases are household contacts of previous cases. Is it great? No. But lets put it in perspective. Itís not like itís running rampant just yet. Unless youíre considering a future in WA politics, in that case keep the FUD up.

Green.Dot 11th Feb 2021 18:49


Originally Posted by SOPS (Post 10988498)
Two more cases just now.. here we go again!!!


And now there are people able to slip past staff to deliver a PlayStation to a room!! Itís all going so well. I bet by Saturday, cases in Melbourne will be in the 100s!!

Can we just get NSW to take over the HQ & contact tracing for Vic, lock Dan up in prison, throw away the key and then we can get on with life?

blubak 11th Feb 2021 19:27


Originally Posted by goodonyamate (Post 10988774)
pretty sure youíre in WA (or SW China, same sort of Ďleadershipí style) where the brainwashin and fear mongering is at its finest.

the 2 cases are household contacts of previous cases. Is it great? No. But lets put it in perspective. Itís not like itís running rampant just yet. Unless youíre considering a future in WA politics, in that case keep the FUD up.

Absolutely right,'put it in perspective'.
Theres always going to be a risk & when someone bends or breaks the rules including concealing a neubiliser the risk becomes a fact.
Then you have the people in quarantine who are making accusations about staff not wearing masks etc whilst not wearing a mask themselves (watch the newsclip & you will see the loudmouth).
There are plenty of people who have made mistakes & of course Andrews made a big 1 but this virus is being controlled & it seems many on here just take pleasure out of every piece of negative news they can focus on just like the time wasters ringing up radio talkback programs & complaining because they have nothing better to do.

SHVC 11th Feb 2021 19:55

The AO is worth to much money to ML shame that ANZAC day isn't worth as much to DA tho. After its completion and tennis players are gone then he will consider locking down ML. If he does it now the threat of loosing the open is a real possibility I bet there wont be advanced announcement about cancelling the F! in November if cases are happening in June!

blubak 11th Feb 2021 22:03


Originally Posted by SOPS (Post 10988498)
Two more cases just now.. here we go again!!!


And now there are people able to slip past staff to deliver a PlayStation to a room!! Itís all going so well. I bet by Saturday, cases in Melbourne will be in the 100s!!

And i guess you believe the guy who slipped past staff(if that is the case) did the right thing??
Lets keep the negativity going,the media are reporting 4 or 5 new cases today,they were in fact actually announced yesterday & all linked to holiday inn case but that fact doesnt get headlines.

Foxxster 11th Feb 2021 22:24


Originally Posted by SOPS (Post 10988498)
Two more cases just now.. here we go again!!!


And now there are people able to slip past staff to deliver a PlayStation to a room!! Itís all going so well. I bet by Saturday, cases in Melbourne will be in the 100s!!


heard just now another snap 5 day lockdown is planned. I imagine they will wait for todayís and possibly tomorrowís case numbers but seems quite likely.

SHVC 11th Feb 2021 22:27

Snap 5 day lockdown archives what?? Incubation period is at least 14 days. WA and QLD were just lucky further cases didn’t emerge definitely not a result of “snap” lock downs and “slamming” the borders shut.

KRviator 11th Feb 2021 22:37


Originally Posted by currawong (Post 10988213)
"Can manage", but why would you want to?

I don't want 500 cases, however, as to why I would want to?

Maybe to keep Australia as one nation, rather than the 6 different micro-nations we have become. Maybe to give certainty to everyone from tourist operators to airlines to Joe Q Public and his dying father that 'ol Joe can get to his funeral. Maybe because I live in NSW and work in WA and would like to actually get paid at some point to keep my house - because I have not been to work for nearly a year, am not eligible for JobKeeper (employer turnover hasn't dropped enough) and am not eligible for any Centrelink benefits ("You're still employed, you haven't resigned nor been sacked".) Maybe because I don't consider it fair for NSW to have brought home tens of thousands more Australians than any other state with the risk of an HQ-breach that that entails - yet they are getting screwed over time and time again by Premiers who won't do their fair share. Maybe because I think people should themselves take responsibility for their healthcare & wellbeing instead of praising scumbags like McGowan "who kept us safe for so long". Or maybe it is because I firmly believe if you give a politician an inch, they'll take a mile. People endorsing the locking out of 30% of Australia's citizens over one case, whose source is known only reinforce such punitive measures remain acceptable for the smallest infraction of anything the CHO, Police Minister (in his role as EMO) or Premier might dream up in future, and I think that is wrong.

Take your pick of any of the above. If there is a genuine risk, fine. One case in 8.5 million people is not a genuine risk to a state that warrants a border closure, no matter how you try to show it is.

Originally Posted by Currawong
As long as this thing is allowed to replicate, like in Europe it can and will mutate (remember not that long ago viewed as unlikely) and possibly come up with something that can defeat our efforts at vaccination.

Then its back to square one.

I don't want to go all the way back to square one. Do you?

So wash your bloody hands, wear a mask and don't sneeze over people in the food court at the local shops. Take some responsibility for your own wellbeing instead of expecting Australia to bend over and take it up the asre "to keep you safe".

dr dre 11th Feb 2021 22:39

I don't get it.

All of you complain that states that lockdown when outbreaks occur say they should follow NSW's approach and just use contact tracing (even though they did a partial lockdown) because otherwise it destroys the economy.

Now in Victoria you're all piling on DA for....... using contact tracing and keeping the economy going during a major income event (the AO)

It seems people just decide who to like/hate based on what political party the person involved belongs to and then they look for evidence solely to back up that position.

Chronic Snoozer 11th Feb 2021 22:43


Originally Posted by KRviator (Post 10988874)
So wash your bloody hands, wear a mask and don't sneeze over people in the food court at the local shops. Take some responsibility for your own wellbeing instead of expecting Australia to bend over and take it up the asre "to keep you safe".

And get tested. Amen.

Potsie Weber 11th Feb 2021 22:43


Originally Posted by SHVC (Post 10988865)
Snap 5 day lockdown archives what?? Incubation period is at least 14 days. WA and QLD were just lucky further cases didnít emerge definitely not a result of ďsnapĒ lock downs and ďslammingĒ the borders shut.

A snap lockdown gives contact tracers a chance to try and get ahead of the virus and identify and quarantine those potentially at risk of having been exposed. That takes time. Itís a good idea, but the downside is that it is preceded by panic buying and people fleeing the lockdown area, which is not good for containment.

SHVC 11th Feb 2021 22:53


Originally Posted by dr dre (Post 10988876)
I don't get it.

All of you complain that states that lockdown when outbreaks occur say they should follow NSW's approach and just use contact tracing (even though they did a partial lockdown) because otherwise it destroys the economy.

Now in Victoria you're all piling on DA for....... using contact tracing and keeping the economy going during a major income event (the AO)

It seems people just decide who to like/hate based on what political party the person involved belongs to and then they look for evidence solely to back up that position.

Maybe the issue is DA and the Vic goverment are putting international sporting events ahead of Australian people and Australian livelihoods. Look at what is happening now not even two months ago Victorian residents couldnít even cross their own border to get home. They allow the Australian open importing foreign ppl purposely for a sporting event whilst canceling Australian national day which is far more important than any AO and F1 event.

Telfer86 11th Feb 2021 23:13

Mystery modes of transmission with hyper mutant ninja infective ability, the naughty guest used a nebuliser, so it couldn't have been a breakdown
of basic infection control , breach of discipline or any fault of the Govt

Was the CHO of Victoria biting his tongue or trying very hard not to laugh when he was agreeing that the nebuliser was a "plausible theory indeed"

Uber driver accidently delivered a nebuliser to the other hotel Grand Hyatt instead of a pizza , where other transmission to staff occurred

Victoria leads the world with hotel quarantine procedures , Dan tells us all the other states learn from us & come asking humbly for advice

The fact that Vict had a little issue to deal with in 2020(circa 900 dead people) and didn't accept international arrivals from July until December in no way diminishes
the superiority of Dan & the gang with hotel quarantine

He also took the great leap forward to invent the "traffic light" system to judge the plebs outside Victoria

No doubt there will be excitable buzzword baby talk in todays press conference , we might see just a little bit of self-congratulations and "shout outs" to the incredible team

Before you can say "Dans your Uncle" yes another lockdown , transmission from two Hotels in less than two months after second chance

You show em Dan , you tell em

Lockhart 11th Feb 2021 23:19

Melbourne about to announce 5 day lockdown just like Perth a few weeks ago. Not confirmed cabinet is meeting.

SRFred 12th Feb 2021 00:33

CHO ..... Chief Humour Officer ..... rather sad situation actually.

Telfer86 12th Feb 2021 00:38

The guy was just wincing as he was saying it , somehow I don't guys like the former Fed CMO would have played along

More months of stand downs on the way for flight & cabin crew



WingNut60 12th Feb 2021 00:54


Originally Posted by Potsie Weber (Post 10988880)
A snap lockdown gives contact tracers a chance to try and get ahead of the virus and identify and quarantine those potentially at risk of having been exposed. That takes time. Itís a good idea, but the downside is that it is preceded by panic buying and people fleeing the lockdown area, which is not good for containment.

Now, with a lock-down imminent, the major supermarkets COULD initiate buying limits in advance.
But they won't, will they?

WingNut60 12th Feb 2021 00:58


Originally Posted by KRviator (Post 10988874)
Maybe to keep Australia as one nation, rather than the 6 different micro-nations ....................

The hurdle to that is, not all of Australia wants to be moulded on the image of NSW.

jrfsp 12th Feb 2021 01:13

Melbourne airport cafe worker, worked 8 hour shift before testing positive....potentially spreading all around the country

SHVC 12th Feb 2021 01:19

So DA hard kick down again only 4 reason to leave home! Australian Open better be canceled now as it does not fall into the 4 reasons.

Buster Hyman 12th Feb 2021 03:41


Originally Posted by dr dre (Post 10988876)
It seems people just decide who to like/hate based on what political party the person involved belongs to and then they look for evidence solely to back up that position.

Unfortunately, whilst being correct in this statement, it still starts at the top. There was early consensus, a national Cabinet etc, but it has devolved along party lines in finger pointing and willy waving (for those with one). The point scoring and posturing is just phenomenal.

I doubt there's a legal pathway for the Feds to assume responsibility, but I'd be interested to know if the GG can have an impact here.

Sunfish 12th Feb 2021 04:03

The scary number, whose name I forget, is the reinfection time. The time from when a person is infected until they start infecting others. That number for "ordinary" Covid is something like 4-5 days. This new British variant that is causing us grief has a period of 48 to 72 hours.

That means that the victim is infectious before or at the same time as they develop symptoms.

The Five day lockdown is to enable the contact tracers to keep up with the virus. There are already about a thousand contacts isolating in Victoria.

What you should be concerned about is anyone who has traveled through terminal 4.

jrfsp 12th Feb 2021 04:14

I just cannot understand why we are continuing with this madness..how many more shutdowns will it take before quarantine is moved out of major cities

murder most fowl 12th Feb 2021 04:48


Originally Posted by jrfsp (Post 10988968)
I just cannot understand why we are continuing with this madness..how many more shutdowns will it take before quarantine is moved out of major cities

Scomo is a true politician. He won't stop international arrivals yet as it will make him look heartless and over the top. Let the states stuff up hotel quarantine until the people demand a change.

He used to blow up about border closures, now not a peep. It doesn't change anything and makes him look powerless compared to the premiers. He knows which way the wind blows.

SOPS 12th Feb 2021 05:08

I think a push for change is coming. To move HQ out of the cities.

rcoight 12th Feb 2021 05:50


Originally Posted by dr dre (Post 10988876)
....It seems people just decide who to like/hate based on what political party the person involved belongs to and then they look for evidence solely to back up that position.

With respect - and I sometimes agree with what you have to say - you are as guilty of this as anyone else here.

McLimit 12th Feb 2021 06:26

You Bloody Champion Glady's :ok: The voice of reason.

McLimit 12th Feb 2021 06:29


It seems people just decide who to like/hate based on what political party the person involved belongs to
Not me, I partially decide who I like and trust based on whether they're a liar.


and then they look for evidence solely to back up that position.
Plenty of evidence to back up my decision.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:18.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.