PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific (https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific-90/)
-   -   All borders to reopen. (https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/632861-all-borders-reopen.html)

PoppaJo 21st Aug 2021 06:03


Originally Posted by lineupandwait (Post 11098774)
1000's a day is called living with it. If you're uncomfortable with it and not vaccinated go get AZ.

Time to move on and stop reporting case numbers.

Why are people uncomfortable with it? The shitshow of many departments that reside in Canberra is purely to blame.

I get the point. The day will soon arrive. We need to know about case numbers in the short term, as we are largely still unvaccinated, and so Sydney can start planning how overrun the health department is about to be in the next 3 months.

People donít want AZ and there is nothing we can do about thatís, just accept it, and now we start to deal with the fallout from waiting for PZ. Iíve had AZ and so has all my kids who are under 40.

KRviator 21st Aug 2021 06:11


Originally Posted by PoppaJo (Post 11098771)
Not sure how she will spin her words as she does when we start cracking the 0000s. You canít have 2/3000 cases a day and keep spinning the same bullshit as she does for the next 2 months. Those are resignation numbers.

I sound like a Gladys apologist, but what will her pulling the pin achieve? Yes she should have locked Sydney down sooner - no argument there, but they had no reason to believe their previous successes with the Alpha variant wouldn't be replicated against Delta. We now know that to be false, but you live and learn....

The UK daily figures (with 87.4 / 76.0% vaccinated) are for 37,314 cases & 114 deaths today (Source). The UK population is 68.2M. Australia's population is 25.8M (37.8%) & NSW's is 8.2 (12%). Apply those percentages to the UK numbers, and you'll be in for a surprise - 14,000 daily cases Australia-wide, and 4,400 in NSW alone! And remember - those numbers are in a population that is within 4% of our ultimate vaccination target.

Iceland a country of just 368,000 people, has achieved 71% of the total population fully vaccinated, and 84% of those 12+ are fully vaccinated (Source). And their current caseload? 61 new cases today, against a 14-day average 369/100K (Source). Extrapolate those numbers to our population and you get 4,200 new cases today - and a 14-day average of 95,000 cases (or 6,800 a day). And they're at 84% fully vaccinated for everyone over 12!

But don't worry if you live in Western Australia - Mark McGowan can stop it! He's said so!

sumtingwong 21st Aug 2021 06:24


Originally Posted by 43Inches (Post 11098768)
It's basically cult mentality where they all just listen to one guy overall and spread their message. With of course a few tag-a-longs with their families to fill out numbers. Thing to look out for, if all your information is being fed by one individual or small group leading you all, you might just be in a cult.


You mean such as Dan disciples, McClown cart followers, unelected Ďexpertsí, bureaucrats and large sections of the media?

Xeptu 21st Aug 2021 06:32


Originally Posted by PoppaJo (Post 11098776)
People donít want AZ and there is nothing we can do about thatís, just accept it, and now we start to deal with the fallout from waiting for PZ. Iíve had AZ and so has all my kids who are under 40.

I've done both shots of AZ, I would have chosen AZ anyway, all our health professionals recommend AZ purely because the method for producing it has been around for decades, yes there are risks there always has been with every vaccine. PZ has risks too, this swelling issue around the heart muscle can't be good. It hasn't gone unnoticed that has been played down to the point we don't even hear about it anymore, probably because of the fear it will go the same way as AZ with respect to hesitancy.

43Inches 21st Aug 2021 07:19


You mean such as Dan disciples, McClown cart followers, unelected ‘experts’, bureaucrats and large sections of the media?
Again if you get all your information from one source you are now at the mercy of their bias and direction.

One tool you are given to deal with mental health issues is to be rational about information, make sure it agrees and is consistent with reality. If your information is at odds with what is actually happening then you are suffering an episode, being fooled. Now that can be easy to deduce through grounding or might be hard depending if you are surrounded by influences feeding the delusion. Basically check information provided to you, refer to different sources and see if it makes sense relative to what is actually happening and ask for trusted opinions from people relevant to the situation. If it's just isolated information highlighting some conspiracy then it's most likely bogus/fake, especially if fed through anonymous sources. Also look for highly edited or out of context interviews or snippets of data, without seeing the actual study it refers to, half truths are the easiest to make convincing.


Turnleft080 21st Aug 2021 07:39

The reason people are angry or infuriated is the method. It's Dan's way or the highway. No one else has a say. Their is no middle ground. Every decision is done behind closed doors. I bet their are hundreds of GPs and Profs out their also wanting know the public health advice. Sutton and Chant are just broadcasters reading a script. Good work if you can get it at $12,000 a week.

machtuk 21st Aug 2021 09:46

I wonder how all the Dan lovers/followers are feeling these days? Still feeling the love are we?
The grubby lunatic is out of control yet they still believe the daily BS & would follow the grub right off a cliff!
the lunatic wants many days in a row of zero cases before he opens the cell doors, good luck with that its gunna be a lonely Xmas for many!

43Inches 21st Aug 2021 10:05

They've lost it now, too much non compliance in Sydney and Melbourne for lockdown to work. It's heading towards the great "let it rip" regardless of what the public/pollies want.

Xeptu 21st Aug 2021 10:41


Originally Posted by 43Inches (Post 11098894)
They've lost it now, too much non compliance in Sydney and Melbourne for lockdown to work. It's heading towards the great "let it rip" regardless of what the public/pollies want.

Indeed it is, sad they didn't get enough vaccinated. now the remaining states have to get more draconian with our borders.

DirectAnywhere 21st Aug 2021 10:42

People are tired and fatigued of COVID compliance. The NSW lockdown is having a real impact, with an Reff of 1.2-1.3, down from R0 of >5. It's going to be harder to convince people of that as case numbers climb.

Non-compliance will become wider spread. Just got to hope the vaccinations start to have a real impact on hospitalisations and deaths, as much of the populace is about at the end of its tether when it comes to doing what they're told. It's going to be hard to find that point of inflection where you can push lockdowns as far as possible without losing all trust and faith with the public. It's a dangerous time.

hamfists 21st Aug 2021 11:05

We all get our information from somewhere..we all have to take what weíre given in faith since the information comes faster and in volumes that donít allow us to analyse. As anyone that like me, is a lifelong sceptic, questions everything ..by the time the onion is peeled and half the information that is sold as fact becomes discredited, itís last weeks fish n chip paper. The public has moved on and most believe opinion is fact.

when was the last time anyone issued a public retraction?

Turnleft080 21st Aug 2021 13:03


Originally Posted by Xeptu (Post 11098911)
Indeed it is, sad they didn't get enough vaccinated. now the remaining states have to get more draconian with our borders.

Actually the NSW/VIC border should be lifted. What difference does it make. Both states have now cross pollinated. Why not form their own covid bubble. Other states nick off. Your 3 months behind us and way too clean.

Xeptu 21st Aug 2021 14:40


Originally Posted by Turnleft080 (Post 11098979)
Actually the NSW/VIC border should be lifted. What difference does it make. Both states have now cross pollinated. Why not form their own covid bubble. Other states nick off. Your 3 months behind us and way too clean.

A fair call too and one those two states may consider if VIC loses control as well. Just don't think you'll be allowed to travel into any other state because you won't. SA is already looking at a transport hub near the border to turn the prime movers around (swap trailers)

hamfists 21st Aug 2021 20:53

True..after all Dan has proven before that he can take a small localised outbreak in a community and turn it into a citywide death plague by following world best practice (but long disabused by the WHO and the United Nations) extreme lockdowns

Gnadenburg 21st Aug 2021 21:47


Originally Posted by Xeptu (Post 11099005)
A fair call too and one those two states may consider if VIC loses control as well. Just don't think you'll be allowed to travel into any other state because you won't. SA is already looking at a transport hub near the border to turn the prime movers around (swap trailers)

Vaccines should be diverted to VIC & NSW for the time being outside of any program for the vulnerable or frontline staff in WA. That's if we are all in this together?

However, Australian state borders are porous. They are being breached daily. Comically so from what I've seen. The chance of wider outbreaks in the other States still likely. I just hope the morons in charge accept this and don't keep adding to the COVID bill.

Ladloy 21st Aug 2021 22:17

Jesus the skynews brigade comes out on a Sunday morning.

Gnadenburg 21st Aug 2021 23:07

Not sure what your point is?

I don't want to be a Cassandra. However, for a look beyond Christmas, perhaps the whole of the financial year, it may be reasonable to take a look at Israel today. Now combine that snapshot with the individual policies of the Australian Premiers. It's a basket case scenario for aviation and the wider economy.

SHVC 22nd Aug 2021 00:21

No matter how you look at it, the whole country is fked! Vic going into a complete lockdown along with NSW has assured Australia falls rapidly and deep in to recession until next yr. this is much worse than this time last yr, although we have the vaccine which means nothing to the premiers covid zero is still sought after other than NSW.

Thursday will be an interesting day for a lot of us, see what the forecast is and if there will be further VR or even CR with in the group. I did read from an uncredited source, I didn’t look into it as I didn’t care really but BA have scheduled flights from March 2022, they’re optimistic with that.

VH-ABC 22nd Aug 2021 00:39

The QANTAS group SHVC?

DirectAnywhere 22nd Aug 2021 00:59

I'm going to put 10 bucks on NSW residents being able to travel overseas (excluding NZ) before they're allowed to travel to WA. Anyone want to take it?

We are in the nightmare scenario for domestic aviation. I'm struggling to see a way out of it. The only leverage Morrison has left is to cut support payments once we hit 80% national vax rates and hope the outcry and misery unleashed is sufficient to bend the will of the premiers. The man is a eunuch right now, confined to giving people money while the premiers make all the decisions.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:09.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.