PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific (https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific-90/)
-   -   All borders to reopen. (https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/632861-all-borders-reopen.html)

BuzzBox 10th Mar 2022 23:05


Originally Posted by Transition Layer (Post 11197901)
Could it be that unvaccinated even with mild symptoms are being hospitalised out of precaution due to their vaccination status?

No, they're being hospitalised because they are seriously ill and need that level of care. Less than two per cent of WA's population is unvaccinated, yet that cohort accounts for around half the hospital admissions to date.

Capn Rex Havoc 11th Mar 2022 14:24

Total and complete scare mongering....... Those numbers in hospital are statistically insignificant. I still can't get my head around why, vaccinated folk are so paranoid and scared to associate with unvaccinated folk.

Bend alot 11th Mar 2022 21:09

Hospitals are also used to isolate people that can not do it where they live - like people from aged care with mild symptoms.

I did not hear the vax status of the last 2 deaths in WA.

They normally get shouted out under 1 condition/status.

WA is said to have BA2 variant of about 50% (it has been in Australia since Jan contrary to the news report yesterday).

Ladloy 11th Mar 2022 22:30


Originally Posted by Bend alot (Post 11198598)
Hospitals are also used to isolate people that can not do it where they live - like people from aged care with mild symptoms.

I did not hear the vax status of the last 2 deaths in WA.

They normally get shouted out under 1 condition/status.

WA is said to have BA2 variant of about 50% (it has been in Australia since Jan contrary to the news report yesterday).

Unless nsw and vic do it differently to WA, I have never heard of mild cases in hospitals to prevent spread.

ChrisJ800 11th Mar 2022 23:24

I moved from Oz to Philippines 5 weeks ago. Best move I ever did. Everyone is getting on with life here. Need to wear masks even outside but bars are all open!

Chronic Snoozer 12th Mar 2022 00:15


Originally Posted by Capn Rex Havoc (Post 11198401)
Total and complete scare mongering....... Those numbers in hospital are statistically insignificant. I still can't get my head around why, vaccinated folk are so paranoid and scared to associate with unvaccinated folk.

What scaremongering and who's paranoid? They're just statistics.

Turnleft080 12th Mar 2022 04:51


Originally Posted by Capn Rex Havoc (Post 11198401)
Total and complete scare mongering....... Those numbers in hospital are statistically insignificant. I still can't get my head around why, vaccinated folk are so paranoid and scared to associate with unvaccinated folk.

Speaking of the unvaxed, US airlines will bringing back unvaxed staff. That will be a bit of ammunition for the folk at QF & VA that are taking on their unfair dismissal cases.

https://tickernews.co/airline-compan...-back-to-work/

SHVC 12th Mar 2022 05:59

No not really! America is another country. What goes on there is no precedence for what goes on here.

43Inches 12th Mar 2022 06:01


Employees that were placed on unpaid leave last year because they were unvaccinated against COVID-19, due to a medical or religious exemption will now be able to return to work
That seems to imply that only those that were put on leave with exemptions will be welcomed back, not those that chose not to be vaccinated.


I moved from Oz to Philippines 5 weeks ago. Best move I ever did. Everyone is getting on with life here. Need to wear masks even outside but bars are all open!
Hope that's just a raz up, good luck if you get sick of anything, or are you maintaining your Aussie citizenship so you can evac back to safety on our taxes when your expedition goes awry? There are downsides to the third world you know, like random cities there being held by Islamic extremists etc... hope that's better than not being able to go to a pub, however not sure where that is in Australia at present. I went to the pub yesterday for a meal and drink, sans mask.

I also enjoyed my drink without the threat of a terrorist bombing me or being taken hostage for being foreign looking to be used as a bargaining chip.


Reconsider travel to the Philippines due to COVID-19. Additionally, exercise increased caution due to crime, terrorism, civil unrest, and kidnapping. Read the entire Travel Advisory.
That's the current travel warning for the Philippines. BTW I didn't even think of Covid while enjoying my meal, let alone being in danger. I don't think there's even a place I eat/drink at in Melbourne or Sydney where I even worry about my wallet being stolen.

Bend alot 12th Mar 2022 09:04


Originally Posted by Ladloy (Post 11198653)
Unless nsw and vic do it differently to WA, I have never heard of mild cases in hospitals to prevent spread.

You can not even get what Health advice is based on from NSW or QLD - so you hear nothing for or "against" my friend.

SA, well they got some info FOI - and no delay cops back to work.

The Health Advice was brilliant - take a look.

43Inches 12th Mar 2022 10:25

Aged care in Victoria/NSW will isolate you in your room with covid or close contact, unless you are very high risk, then you will be moved to hospital to be monitored so if you deteriorate you can get the highest level of medical care quickly if needed. The hospital is not used as a quarantine facility.

Wizofoz 12th Mar 2022 22:42


Originally Posted by Chronic Snoozer (Post 11198695)
What scaremongering and who's paranoid? They're just statistics.

Rex is scared of statistics that don't fit his narrative.

KRviator 12th Mar 2022 23:01


Originally Posted by Chronic Snoozer (Post 11198695)
What scaremongering and who's paranoid? They're just statistics.

You only have to look at the narrative from McGowan or his CHO as regards NSW or Victoria.

"Lockdown like conditions" (because we have to wear a mask indoors, and check in - big woop), "Thousands and thousands of deaths I want to avoid" (While neglecting to mention 48.6% of all returning Australian's came home via Sydney after he wimped out on his agreed "1000 a week", and halved it, then halved it again to only 256). "By watching NSW you can see what works and what doesnít work. " (Guess bringing home so many people for the good of the nation "doesn't work", eh...

I could go on, but really, what's the point? If you cannot accept that such things have been happening for the last two years, then nothing I say will change your mind...

WingNut60 12th Mar 2022 23:34


Originally Posted by KRviator (Post 11199064)
........................."Thousands and thousands of deaths I want to avoid" .........................

Location Cases Deaths

New South Wales 1.45M 1,975

Victoria 1.12M 2,640

Western Australia 39,226 12 13

Yep, obviously a rabid propagandist
I'm glad I'm not your grandmother


I could go on, but really, what's the point? .................
And yet you do?

Chronic Snoozer 13th Mar 2022 08:05


Originally Posted by KRviator (Post 11199064)
You only have to look at the narrative from McGowan or his CHO as regards NSW or Victoria.

"Lockdown like conditions" (because we have to wear a mask indoors, and check in - big woop), "Thousands and thousands of deaths I want to avoid" (While neglecting to mention 48.6% of all returning Australian's came home via Sydney after he wimped out on his agreed "1000 a week", and halved it, then halved it again to only 256). "By watching NSW you can see what works and what doesn’t work. " (Guess bringing home so many people for the good of the nation "doesn't work", eh...

I could go on, but really, what's the point? If you cannot accept that such things have been happening for the last two years, then nothing I say will change your mind...

I wasn't looking at any narrative and certainly don't look to politicians for narrative. What do the numbers tell us? Well, back of the fag packet calculations tell me that if you are unvaccinated there is a 30-40 times greater chance of contracting COVID and ending up in hospital, based on the numbers quoted in that article. Seems like a good thing nearly 95% of WA is vaccinated.

I also find the WA CHO's letter outlining his recommendations for applying restrictions pre and post border opening to be clear and logical. Seems like things are turning out as projected or better.

https://www.wa.gov.au/system/files/2..._HA_190122.pdf

You can object to the manner in which the outcome is reached however my point was really the outcome.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...44/247/297.png

MLKNWL 28th Jun 2022 09:27

Hope other countries could open their border soon, such as China, otherwise, economics will be a problem. also, slow down the development of the aviation industry.

Eclan 19th Oct 2022 13:38


Originally Posted by 43Inches (Post 11198745)
That seems to imply that only those that were put on leave with exemptions will be welcomed back, not those that chose not to be vaccinated.

Everyone. Discrimination on medical status is not allowed. Well, not unless the gov and courts think it's okay just this time. Anyone here see the irony and the cause for concern in that? Probably not.


Originally Posted by 43Inches (Post 11198745)
Hope that's just a raz up, good luck if you get sick of anything, or are you maintaining your Aussie citizenship so you can evac back to safety on our taxes when your expedition goes awry?

Jesus, man, he only moved not long ago and I'm sure before that he had a lifetime of paying taxes, maybe even more than you, so I think we can allow him a little leeway. I'd rather pay his way back home than the filth the ALP have, on our behalf, recently deemed welcome back in this country from Syria.


Originally Posted by 43Inches (Post 11198745)
There are downsides to the third world you know, like random cities there being held by Islamic extremists etc... hope that's better than not being able to go to a pub, however not sure where that is in Australia at present.

Cities held by islamic extremist? Entire cities? Are you talking about the Phillipines or Afghanistan?


Originally Posted by 43Inches (Post 11198745)
I went to the pub yesterday for a meal and drink, sans mask. I also enjoyed my drink without the threat of a terrorist bombing me or being taken hostage for being foreign looking to be used as a bargaining chip.

You missed the Lindt seige but I suppose that was relatively small-scale (unless you were one of the dead). But I get your point, not as much terrorism here. Yet. Here's a list so far:

Originally Posted by 43Inches (Post 11198745)
I didn't even think of Covid while enjoying my meal

It's disturbing that you even need to mention that and smacks of Stockholm Syndrome which is alive and well especially down there in Victoria where the dictator will likely be voted back in soon.


Originally Posted by 43Inches (Post 11198745)
I don't think there's even a place I eat/drink at in Melbourne or Sydney where I even worry about my wallet being stolen.

Not yet but it's coming. The next generation will be dealing with it though and cursing some of the decisions of this and earlier gens.

43Inches 19th Oct 2022 22:32


Cities held by islamic extremist? Entire cities? Are you talking about the Phillipines or Afghanistan?
Suggest you read the news more and look up what happened in Marawi in the Phillipines before posting. Then there's just the murders and killings committed by the government to curb the drug problems, or opposition parties, depending on who you talk to.


You missed the Lindt seige but I suppose that was relatively small-scale (unless you were one of the dead). But I get your point, not as much terrorism here. Yet. Here's a list so far:
Sieges by mentally disturbed individuals happen everywhere, these are terrorist attacks in name only with very low death tolls which don't exceed the average domestic dispute siege, more people are dying in GA aircraft accidents in Australia than actual terrorist events. Mass killings via bombs and shootings don't happen in Australia, again shows you have very limited experience outside of this country.


Not yet but it's coming. The next generation will be dealing with it though and cursing some of the decisions of this and earlier gens.
By the time that happens it will be open gang warfare in the UK and US, we will still be better off. Demographics here just don't reflect why these are issues overseas, despite the sensationalism.


It's disturbing that you even need to mention that and smacks of Stockholm Syndrome which is alive and well especially down there in Victoria where the dictator will likely be voted back in soon.
Not sure why you are dredging Covid back up again when we are pretty much back to normal here.

My point still stands though, if you want to leave Australia, go for it, I'm not going to stop anyone, or even dissuade them. Just make sure you hand in your passports and don't cry for help from the Aussie consulate when your new homeland does something that is really draconian and you want a free pass home. I really want my taxes to fix my roads and provide infrastructure I can use, not fund somebody elses follies that wants to avoid paying tax by living o/s for a few years, there's already enough wasted with government.

PS I'll still go and spend 6 months in Euroland for holidays, nothing wrong with that, but I'll still pay taxes at home here.

Eclan 20th Oct 2022 03:38


Originally Posted by 43Inches (Post 11316266)
Suggest you read the news more and look up what happened in Marawi in the Phillipines before posting. Then there's just the murders and killings committed by the government to curb the drug problems, or opposition parties, depending on who you talk to.

Well, you said cities - plural - are held by terrorists. I asked because I wanted to know if you believe this is or were just being sensationalist or even just making up stuff. Yes a city was fought over, it's not great but no cities there are "held by terrorists." I'm sure Chris is staying in a nice area of which there are many and not worried about having his head removed. It's a bit melodramatic to suggest he'll end up whacked just by living in a nice area of that country.


Originally Posted by 43Inches (Post 11316266)
Sieges by mentally disturbed individuals happen everywhere, these are terrorist attacks in name only with very low death tolls which don't exceed the average domestic dispute siege, more people are dying in GA aircraft accidents in Australia than actual terrorist events. Mass killings via bombs and shootings don't happen in Australia, again shows you have very limited experience outside of this country.

You appear to have missed the point or misinterpreted it as sarcasm.


Originally Posted by 43Inches (Post 11316266)
My point still stands though, if you want to leave Australia, go for it, I'm not going to stop anyone, or even dissuade them. Just make sure you hand in your passports and don't cry for help from the Aussie consulate when your new homeland does something that is really draconian and you want a free pass home. I really want my taxes to fix my roads and provide infrastructure I can use, not fund somebody elses follies that wants to avoid paying tax by living o/s for a few years, there's already enough wasted with government.

Well, no, your point on that never did stand I'm afraid. You already did try to dissuade him with fear-mongering over terror and getting sick. I doubt Chris needs a nanny. He's already paid his taxes and is welcome to retire wherever he wants, without your approval. Demanding he hand in his passport is a cheap, silly and emotionally-ignorant shot to take. He's paid his taxes and is entitled to all the wonderful benefits of this great socialist country, wherever he's living. Personally offended by it? Tough titties. I hope he milks it for all it's worth.

KAPAC 20th Oct 2022 03:48

Just to balance out the picture your painting of the selfish expat who is using up all of Australians resources while stumbling from one disaster to another while overseas .
Most expats do very well overseas , career wise , socially and financially . Never ask for any help while sending large amounts of wealth back to Australia , investing it into property and super and not a single cent of Australian tax payers money was used on them while they created this wealth . Over %5 of Australians live overseas . Many come back multi millionaires , stimulating the Australian economy by paying taxes , school fees and using private health . Not sure why you fear the expat so much ?

43Inches 20th Oct 2022 06:35


Originally Posted by KAPAC (Post 11316339)
Just to balance out the picture your painting of the selfish expat who is using up all of Australians resources while stumbling from one disaster to another while overseas .
Most expats do very well overseas , career wise , socially and financially . Never ask for any help while sending large amounts of wealth back to Australia , investing it into property and super and not a single cent of Australian tax payers money was used on them while they created this wealth . Over %5 of Australians live overseas . Many come back multi millionaires , stimulating the Australian economy by paying taxes , school fees and using private health . Not sure why you fear the expat so much ?

My comments were aimed not at all expats but ones that think somehow life in a third world country beats living in Australia. Just because they can do what they want due to the wealth they gathered in Aus, and don't give a damn that people are starving and living in squaler around them. But hey they are fine...

KAPAC 20th Oct 2022 08:00

Your talking about me then , Iím currently living in a third world country and it is because itís cheap to live . Losing my job flying I could have taken family back to Australia and put them straight in government schools used free health care .
My daughter is cooking food to sell at her school to raise money for underprivileged kids in the country we live in . We donate time and money plus help out wifeís family with education and health . Teach my kids to leave a place in better shape than they find it . Iím now employed again and we kept our assets , kids in good school . We are very grateful we could live in this country and itís worked well for them and us . No issues , respect locals and their culture . There is good and bad everywhere . Only added to maintain some balance for what I find to be very aggressive and negative posts .

43Inches 20th Oct 2022 08:31


Originally Posted by KAPAC (Post 11316418)
Your talking about me then , Iím currently living in a third world country and it is because itís cheap to live . Losing my job flying I could have taken family back to Australia and put them straight in government schools used free health care .
My daughter is cooking food to sell at her school to raise money for underprivileged kids in the country we live in . We donate time and money plus help out wifeís family with education and health . Teach my kids to leave a place in better shape than they find it . Iím now employed again and we kept our assets , kids in good school . We are very grateful we could live in this country and itís worked well for them and us . No issues , respect locals and their culture . There is good and bad everywhere . Only added to maintain some balance for what I find to be very aggressive and negative posts .

I did say it about was those that dont give a damn about those around them. From what you say you are not who Im talking about.

However its always rosy in the third world until you get sick and die or become disabled from something as simple as an inflamed appendix. I know this first hand, lost some good freinds to very simple illness. And half of those were wealthy and could afford the besy treatment available there.

KAPAC 20th Oct 2022 09:07

Wealthy people die of similar diseases in Australia .
We could go on like this for years . Iím happy to give your posts balance but I do work so going to be hard keeping up .

Eclan 20th Oct 2022 09:19


Originally Posted by 43Inches (Post 11316385)
My comments were aimed not at all expats but ones that think somehow life in a third world country beats living in Australia. Just because they can do what they want due to the wealth they gathered in Aus, and don't give a damn that people are starving and living in squaler around them. But hey they are fine...

Why do you care if someone you've never even met enjoys living in the Philipines? Who made you the morals arbiter? Sounds more like you got caught being sanctimonious and are now trying to justify it. Now you're concerned about starving Filipinos? (They might be third world but they don't actually starve there.) Is there any cause you won't take up?

43Inches 20th Oct 2022 10:43


Originally Posted by KAPAC (Post 11316446)
Wealthy people die of similar diseases in Australia .
We could go on like this for years . Iím happy to give your posts balance but I do work so going to be hard keeping up .

Not sure what you are trying to prove here, but basic stats show Australian will outlive most third world nations by 10 to 20 years, some pacific islanders can expect to live 30 years less. That is even before you take into account that births and deaths in slum conditions are rarely recorded, so the actual differences could be much higher.

Eclan, you sound like you wouldn't care that a portion of those living in these areas are doing so for illegal reasons like underaged sex and so on. But then you think having money gives you the right to do anything.

ChrisJ800 20th Oct 2022 12:34

Im the one in Philippines. Worked hard in Oz, paid more taxes than most. Saved my Super. And now enjoy a low cost of living retirement in Philippines. Whats the problem? Many other retired ozzies here.

KAPAC 20th Oct 2022 12:48


Originally Posted by 43Inches (Post 11316498)
Not sure what you are trying to prove here, but basic stats show Australian will outlive most third world nations by 10 to 20 years, some pacific islanders can expect to live 30 years less. That is even before you take into account that births and deaths in slum conditions are rarely recorded, so the actual differences could be much higher.

Eclan, you sound like you wouldn't care that a portion of those living in these areas are doing so for illegal reasons like underaged sex and so on. But then you think having money gives you the right to do anything.

Again , quoting life expectancies of third world countries, using selected data to get your way . So if a fit Australian leaves Australia where average life expectancy is 75 for a male and lands in Philippines where male life expectancy is 54 he will drop dead as he steps onto the tarmac . I could argue life expectancy for an Australian male pensioner for example , could increase in the Philippines, they could afford private medical care , if he has a good partner heíd be eating fresh seafood and vegetables daily , nagged to exercise regularly . As the previous poster confirms itís a option .

Gnadenburg 20th Oct 2022 13:42

Envious of you expats living in the Phillipines. Donít bother trying to explain your happiness here. Former Australian expats get it. Dreary Australian suburbians perhaps not.

SOPS 20th Oct 2022 15:07

I really don’t get this whole argument. I spent 25 years overseas. 17 in Europe and 8 in the ME ( that 8 was a mistake). But I’m home now, and very happy. I really can’t see the issue… you make a choice…sometimes you do what yo have to do. And I can tell you…I paid huge taxes living in Europe for 17 years. Also thanks to working for a great company that put a lot into my pension ( superannuation fund) plus my extra contributions, I’m ok. But I was living as a “normal” person…was not not doing some “expat” life style as some imagine here.

Gnadenburg 20th Oct 2022 23:26

Self-funded retirees should be celebrated by this country. If you had to become an expat for awhile to do that, so be it. Many of my aviation mates left Aussie unemployed and came back financially independent- now either working or enjoying the very relaxing pace of retirement.

Thereís even a book that motivates Australians abroad to invest smart and retire back home without taking a cent off the government. All within the ever changing rules of government taxation policy and investing in Australia. The Aussie Expat Ė The Luckiest Person on EarthĒ

Every young Aussie pilot I meet, I tell them go aboard. See the world and invest smart. Come back anytime, jets have proliferated here, pay is very low, and the jobs will always be here IMO.

Eclan 21st Oct 2022 11:40


Originally Posted by 43Inches (Post 11316498)
Eclan, you sound like you wouldn't care that a portion of those living in these areas are doing so for illegal reasons like underaged sex and so on. But then you think having money gives you the right to do anything.

So are you trying to say obliquely you think he's a paedophile just because he wants to live in the Philippines?

Regarding money - sounds like you have none. Are you one of these angry, socialist lefties who thinks the rich should be taxed more and the poor (you) taxed not at all while people who work harder pay for you and your freebies? Oh, and the rich should have their passports taken away if they go outside the tax zone.

I'd suggest you're on thin ice with the paedo accusation.

ChrisJ800 21st Oct 2022 14:36

Im yet to meet or know of a pedo here but met a couple in sydney, one being a teacher of mine. I dont understand your poison thinking. Ive been married for 28 years and she is with me here. Dont make elon musk asumptions like he made on the thai cave rescuer. Most people are good. Lets get back on topic.

43Inches 22nd Oct 2022 00:24

Love how you fight facts with "just because I haven't met one". Facts about the third world are just that, there is no balance or anything you can argue that alters that they are referred to as developing or third world for a reason. Sadly it's well known what a lot of Aussies go to the Philippines for, and it's not the weather, same as Thailand. BTW I know several survivors of the this abuse who have married Aussies living there to hopefully get out, the hubby moves back when they get sick and old as they know the deal with the health system. Get here and realise that the Australian system will help them escape their abusive husband where over there the rich pricks would just pay the police off if the wife dared to leave and even return them to the situation. I've attended when the black vans arrived and whisked them away to safety. Here, once they get a friend group they can get real help and be removed and renamed, rehoused, which is why it might take several years before they leave to trust our system is not like there. Yes there are a few expats who are good, normal and do the right thing, but from what I've seen it seems in the minority in that country. When someone says they are going to a place to escape 'draconian' rules, such as covid restrictions usually means they like the 'no rule' lifestyle and what nefarious activities it brings with it. And we are talking about expats who go to certain third world countries not expats in general.


Again , quoting life expectancies of third world countries, using selected data to get your way . So if a fit Australian leaves Australia where average life expectancy is 75 for a male and lands in Philippines where male life expectancy is 54 he will drop dead as he steps onto the tarmac . I could argue life expectancy for an Australian male pensioner for example , could increase in the Philippines, they could afford private medical care , if he has a good partner he’d be eating fresh seafood and vegetables daily , nagged to exercise regularly . As the previous poster confirms it’s a option .
Actually you show the complete lack of understanding of why the life expectancy is lower. Food standards and health regulations are lax, water quality and infrastructure is poor, medical facilities, equipment and skilled staff are lacking. So yes you could be fit and healthy, fall down the stairs on arrival and be admitted to hospital and die from something that in Australia would be an overnight stay. People live shorter lives on average because as you age you require more specialist help to stay healthy. A good friend couldn't afford his basic blood thinners OS because there was no subsidised medicine programs there and they cost over $200 a month, he was healthy and sporting. Used tried and tested local remedies that they swore by that thinned the blood, guess what died 2 years later of a massive clot. I could go onto more cases I know where burst appendices, easily fixed heart issues and a million other things will kill you prematurely, all which would be almost day procedures and a couple of bucks a month in susidised meds. I also know several doctors that volunteer their services to the third world and can tell you how un-balanced any argument about health truly is, especially in poorer Asia and Oceania.

And all these health issues are before you get to public disorder issues and such.

Again these are just facts, not trying to tell you whether to go or not, that is your decision. I'm just presenting the counter to an argument that moving to the third world is a good retirement move, or you are somehow way better off than being in Australia. There's a good chance I have family, cousins, good friends that will put you up for a night in many Asian and Oceania countries (locals) and tell you what to avoid so that your naivety doesn't kill you before the third world does.

Icarus2001 22nd Oct 2022 00:55


Again these are just facts,
Yes, facts like these…


Yes there are a few expats who are good, normal and do the right thing, but from what I've seen it seems in the minority in that country.

Gnadenburg 22nd Oct 2022 01:03

I once climbed a remote mountain in the Central Phillipines and low and behold, out of the mist a WW2 bomber sat strewn over a ridge line. Twelve went into cloud and eleven came out, going onto bombing Tojo up Luzon way. I loved the adventure of the Phillipines. You were a goner of course living that kind of life and adventure, if anything went wrong, but wow you felt alive. Thereís little remote medical care but thatís your choice and you know the risks.

Funnily enough I wonder if Aussies going to Queenstown, the adventure capital of the Southern Hemisphere, realise theyíd get better medical care in the Phillipines? I donít think thereís any IC units in QT.

Salute the pprune retirees in PH. Donít be dismayed by some of the commentary here.

43Inches 22nd Oct 2022 01:03

Ok I'll apologise for that, it is an exageration, not 'fact'. Just personal experience got ahead of me, when you have dealt with the scum of the earth you can get an idea they are all like that, but there is an awful lot of them, more than you would like. There's a pretty well set up group that deals with them here in Australia, not much that can be done in the Philippines though, too much corruption involved.

43Inches 22nd Oct 2022 01:06


Originally Posted by Gnadenburg (Post 11317646)
I once climbed a remote mountain in the Central Phillipines and low and behold, out of the mist a WW2 bomber sat strewn over a ridge line. Twelve went into cloud and eleven came out, going onto bombing Tojo up Luzon way. I loved the adventure of the Phillipines. You were a goner of course living that kind of life and adventure, if anything went wrong, but wow you felt alive. There’s little remote medical care but that’s your choice and you know the risks.

Funnily enough I wonder if Aussies going to Queenstown, the adventure capital of the Southern Hemisphere, realise they’d get better medical care in the Phillipines? I don’t think there’s any IC units in QT.

Salute the pprune retirees in PH. Don’t be dismayed by some of the commentary here.

But that is being aware of the risks, not making out that its somehow perfectly safe and normal.

I'm not going to dissuade someone from climbing Mt Everest, but if you make out its perfectly safe and akin to walking up Mt Dandenong on a warm Autumns night you have rocks inbetween the ears.

As far as the Queenstown comment, you do realise it's one town vs a whole country you are comparing there. I mean there's no ICU in Williams creek, but sure as hell you could get an air ambo there and transit to a capital city in a very short time, all covered by your insurance, or ambo membership.

WingNut60 22nd Oct 2022 02:15

Immediate admission at Bumrungraad or queued for five hours in an ambulance outside Royal Perth Hospital?
Hmmmm....? Which one should I pick?

Or, which one is third world?


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:08.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.