PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific (https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific-90/)
-   -   All borders to reopen. (https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/632861-all-borders-reopen.html)

neville_nobody 6th Jan 2021 02:11

Ayers Rock??

dr dre 6th Jan 2021 02:17


Originally Posted by jrfsp (Post 10961471)
I think the Fed Gov is waiting to see real world data on the vaccine's effectiveness, particularly with different strains emerging, and its being reported the South African strain may not be protected against.....

COVID-19: South African variant ‘unlikely to bypass the protection provided by vaccines’

“It is not anticipated that this mutation is sufficient for the ‘South African’ variant to bypass the protection provided by current vaccines. It’s possible that new variants will affect the efficacy of the COVID vaccines, but we shouldn’t make that assumption yet about the South African one.”

Francois Balloux, professor of computational systems biology and director, UCL Genetics Institute, University College London.

Every scientist knows this virus will mutate into different strains, just like the flu. It’s just that there’s no initial base herd immunity against the SARS-COV-2 virus now. In future years different strains will emerge and be countered with vaccines against that strain, just like influenza.


Derfred 6th Jan 2021 04:22

Actually, this virus doesn't mutate anything like the flu.

The flu mutates aggressively, which is why we can't eradicate it despite massive vaccination rollouts annually.

This virus only has minor mutations in comparison, so eradication is plausible.

currawong 6th Jan 2021 04:39

Internal borders would not be an issue if international quarantine was in order.

Until it is, the problems will continue.

High stakes game, betting mandatory hotel quarantine cash injection against potential escape into the community and economic disaster.

Dannyboy39 6th Jan 2021 07:49


Originally Posted by 1A_Please (Post 10961463)
Howard Springs is nowhere near big enough for what you suggest. We are currently receiving around 6800 arrivals into Australia per week. Howard Springs can only accept 500 arrivals per week. What we need is a remote place that is comfortable for arriving pax but is somewhere Australians don't want to go; may I suggest Canberra?:ok:

Or as I mentioned a few pages back, how about Nauru or Christmas Island - Australian taxes are already paying for this already.
The policy of housing people 1000s of miles away in these "situations" puts a stain on the international credibility of a great nation.

WingNut60 6th Jan 2021 08:28


Originally Posted by Dannyboy39 (Post 10961563)
Or as I mentioned a few pages back, how about Nauru or Christmas Island - Australian taxes are already paying for this already.
The policy of housing people 1000s of miles away in these "situations" puts a stain on the international credibility of a great nation.

You're probably correct about who's paying for Nauru but you do realise that it's a sovereign nation, right?

dr dre 6th Jan 2021 08:55

Australian COVID-19 vaccine rollout brought forward two weeks to early March

He said the first doses of the vaccine would be delivered to frontline workers and those with exposure to international travellers, and that the medical advice on what order the vaccine would be delivered to other priority groups and the rest of the population was "still being finalised".

So I would guess that would definitely include international aircrew, maybe even domestic aircrew although they wouldn’t be too far behind in the queue. And it’ll probably be a case of “no jab, no job”......

Turnleft080 6th Jan 2021 12:08

Interesting insight from what's happening in Israel.
Already 15% jabbed and over 60% of over 60yo done.
By the time March arrives Israel could well be done.
Thought I add the interview here.


Ragnor 6th Jan 2021 20:19

It will be interesting what will be put first. Covid vaccination or the Flu jab. Article in the paper today suggesting the flu jab will be put first halting the covid vaccination in late March just after the roll out in early March.

Global Aviator 6th Jan 2021 21:20


Originally Posted by 1A_Please (Post 10961463)
Howard Springs is nowhere near big enough for what you suggest. We are currently receiving around 6800 arrivals into Australia per week. Howard Springs can only accept 500 arrivals per week. What we need is a remote place that is comfortable for arriving pax but is somewhere Australians don't want to go; may I suggest Canberra?:ok:

Howard Springs is up to 1000 a week now isn’t it?

If it was ramped up properly it could have a constant 3000 people in it. Yes it would require the logistics to go with it. The facility is there, the beds are there, the airport is there.

Yeah, nah.

A320 Glider 6th Jan 2021 21:44

The UK has started vaccinations in December.

Why is Australia planning for March?
Nearly four months behind the UK and even Europe and USA?

Chronic Snoozer 6th Jan 2021 21:49


Originally Posted by A320 Glider (Post 10962097)
The UK has started vaccinations in December.

Why is Australia planning for March?
Nearly four months behind the UK and even Europe and USA?

Prudence? .

Paragraph377 7th Jan 2021 00:20

Has the little fella started selling tickets to Washington yet? Might need to take face masks and riot gear with you.

1A_Please 7th Jan 2021 00:53


Originally Posted by A320 Glider (Post 10962097)
The UK has started vaccinations in December.

Why is Australia planning for March?
Nearly four months behind the UK and even Europe and USA?

Several reasons:
  • We are not experiencing uncontrolled and dangerous spread like US and UK so emergency approval is not required.
  • TGA is still reviewing detailed results particularly in relation to A-Z vaccine as to how the 2 doses are administered.
  • We have not yet received any imported vaccines and will not receive these in sufficient volumes before March
  • CSL is not yet able to produce local Astra-Zenaca vaccine in sufficient volumes to create meaningful vaccination program
  • Linfox and DHL are still establishing logistical supply line for vaccines particularly Pfizer vaccine which has special cold-handling requirements

Ragnor 7th Jan 2021 01:49

PM announcing vaccine roll out to be moved further forward, mid to late Feb now.

dr dre 7th Jan 2021 02:25


Originally Posted by Ragnor (Post 10962232)
PM announcing vaccine roll out to be moved further forward, mid to late Feb now.

Good news. As they aren’t too keen on removing the obvious threat (quarantine in capital city hotels, a Queensland casual hotel worker tested positive today), it’s good to see they are stepping up the rollout of the only thing that’ll bring this pandemic and the disruption to our industry under control.

Now if they aimed to have enough immunised prior to winter to allow lifting of restrictions that would be ideal.

EDIT

And upon further reading they’re aiming for 4 million Australians immunised by end of March. So perhaps 15 million by start of winter? Maybe enough for herd immunity.

Either way - get the jab, encourage others to get it and let’s end this soon!

C441 7th Jan 2021 23:38

Greater Brisbane locked down from 6:00pm Friday to (at least) 6:00pm Monday. The Premier and CHO implied that further cases identified over the weekend will see this extended indefinitely.

Ragnor 8th Jan 2021 02:34

PM and CMO cleared up the vaccine roll out and regarding the voluntary up take up of the vaccine. It will not be mandatory for ppl to get it, but a requirement to get it to be able to move about. Examples they provided ICU nurse it’s a requirement to have MMR vaccination to work in that area for aged care workers it’s a requirement to have the flu shot every year to work in aged care. I know there is a few here that believe they don’t have to get it, I guess you could find yourself on an extended stand down I guess.

DHC8 Driver 8th Jan 2021 03:03


Originally Posted by Ragnor (Post 10962946)
PM and CMO cleared up the vaccine roll out and regarding the voluntary up take up of the vaccine. It will not be mandatory for ppl to get it, but a requirement to get it to be able to move about. Examples they provided ICU nurse it’s a requirement to have MMR vaccination to work in that area for aged care workers it’s a requirement to have the flu shot every year to work in aged care. I know there is a few here that believe they don’t have to get it, I guess you could find yourself on an extended stand down I guess.


I guess you could learn how to punctuate sentences and improve your English grammar. It would make your posts a lot easier to read.

SOPS 8th Jan 2021 03:23

WA shut to Queensland. Western Australians being told not to travel. Won’t be long to all the borders are shut.


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:20.


Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.