PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific (https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific-90/)
-   -   Airnorth future? Bristow in financial trouble (https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/620752-airnorth-future-bristow-financial-trouble.html)

lurker999 22nd Apr 2019 02:13

Airnorth future? Bristow in financial trouble
 
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...on-fut-457523/

US-headquartered offshore helicopter specialist Bristow Group has issued a stark warning that the company faces insolvency unless it is able to implement a financial turnaround. "If we are unable to execute transactions to improve our financial condition, we do not believe we will have sufficient liquidity to conduct our business operations based on existing conditions and estimates during the next 12 months."

So where does this leave Airnorth? They are a wholly owned subsidiary of Bristow and if Bristow goes under, Airnorth will go with them.

Anyone want to buy a regional?


wheels_down 22nd Apr 2019 03:02

Fairly flat business but not losing or making much at all. Remove the currency headwind which seems to be wiping the profit each year, and its an attractive business for a local.

I highly doubt Virgin wants anything to do with Embrear again so Iíd actually expect QF or Alliance to pick this up considering they do have a small relationship with them at the moment.

It wouldnít be worth much. Tiger was 60 million flat profit with a dozen airbus so 10-20mill max.

crosscutter 22nd Apr 2019 08:53

Airnorth’s EBITDA was US $-1.2million in the Dec18 qtr. (last reported) Bristow Group Inc. - News Release

Darwin’s economy is crunching. NT government’s debt is spiralling. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-...-debt/10632654

QF have adjusted their own and their subsidiaries services and bases.

Anyone want to buy this regional?


WannaBeBiggles 22nd Apr 2019 20:19

Unfortunately it'd be a lot easier for a competitor looking at entering (or expanding) the Darwin market to wait until the entity folded and then pick up the routes and crew left behind for nix.

The Green Goblin 23rd Apr 2019 02:42

What competitor would that be?

Theres no point fighting over the last couple of sips in an empty good bag.

Mr Google Head 23rd Apr 2019 02:47

Maybe the previous owners will buy it back at a bargain price

davidclarke 23rd Apr 2019 04:48

With QFís stake in Alliance, Airnorth might be a good investment for Virgin. Itís would allow them to secure a wholly owned subsidiary that can operate ejets profitably for its QLD operations taking away its reliance on Alliance.

Pavement 23rd Apr 2019 05:04


Originally Posted by davidclarke (Post 10453603)
With QFís stake in Alliance, Airnorth might be a good investment for Virgin. Itís would allow them to secure a wholly owned subsidiary that can operate ejets profitably for its QLD operations taking away its reliance on Alliance.

The only problem with this statement is that its not operating the E Jet profitably. Its a horrible aircraft to fly on with little leg room. In the Australian environment its only suitable for niche routes with no competition.

The Green Goblin 23rd Apr 2019 06:59


Originally Posted by Mr Google Head (Post 10453586)
Maybe the previous owners will buy it back at a bargain price

Iíd imagine MB had his Alan Bond moment with Bristow.
Small fortunes in aviation and all. I donít think the previous directors would be keen to spend that war chest keeping it afloat until theres only air in the piggy bank.

The last thing Virgin need to do is buy another regional airline. If Airnorth go dodo, someone else will pick up the pieces. Iíd imagine those Alliance F70s would be a pretty good machine up there too.

Icarus2001 23rd Apr 2019 08:42


Its a horrible aircraft to fly on with little leg room.
Most passengers (and pilots) loved the VA Ejets. Seat pitch determines leg room which is decided by the operator. Passengers liked 2x2, that is no middle seat.


The only problem with this statement is that its not operating the E Jet profitably.
How do you know this? Air North makes a small profit, do you have a source? Or is it "the vibe"?

Stationair8 23rd Apr 2019 08:56

Embraer E170/190 is probably one of the nicest aircraft to ride in, lot more appeal than the the Fokker 70, Dash8 400, ATR series and the CRJ.

If you want cramp Pavement, try the QLink B 717 on a 2.5 hour sector.


Pavement 23rd Apr 2019 10:05


Originally Posted by Stationair8 (Post 10453693)
Embraer E170/190 is probably one of the nicest aircraft to ride in, lot more appeal than the the Fokker 70, Dash8 400, ATR series and the CRJ.

If you want cramp Pavement, try the QLink B 717 on a 2.5 hour sector.


Did DRW-TSV a couple of weeks ago. Leg room (or pitch if others want to be pedantic) was very average. F70 & F100 are just as good in my opinion. Havenít done B717 for a long time so canít remember.

Not Ďthe vibeí , just read a lot.

Icarus2001 23rd Apr 2019 11:16


Leg room (or pitch if others want to be pedantic) was very average.
Understood and I don't doubt your experience but you cannot judge an entire line of aircraft based on experience with one operator. Each sets the pitch according to their business model. So you could get very different experiences depending on which aircraft you are on. How was the noise level? Seat comfort? Air conditioning?

Pavement 23rd Apr 2019 12:22


Originally Posted by Icarus2001 (Post 10453788)
Understood and I don't doubt your experience but you cannot judge an entire line of aircraft based on experience with one operator. Each sets the pitch according to their business model. So you could get very different experiences depending on which aircraft you are on. How was the noise level? Seat comfort? Air conditioning?

Ok got your point. Iíve travelled the E series in other parts of the world and enjoyed the experience. The Delta layout with some extra legroom seats (E190) is particularly good. Alitalia was also good despite the Italian service.

Airnorth has a good service on their longer routes but I, personally, thought the space was a bit below par.

VH DSJ 24th Apr 2019 00:52


Originally Posted by Pavement (Post 10453831)


Ok got your point. Iíve travelled the E series in other parts of the world and enjoyed the experience. The Delta layout with some extra legroom seats (E190) is particularly good. Alitalia was also good despite the Italian service.

Airnorth has a good service on their longer routes but I, personally, thought the space was a bit below par.

The Delta Ejets are actually E175/E170s operated by SkyWest or Compas Airlines, which are regional airlines regulated by a scope clause which only allows them to be configured with 76 seats. Consequently, there is more leg room giving a much more comfortable ride for passengers. As others have indicated in this thread, the Ejets are popular with pilots and passengers alike. I can't understand why VA turfed them out and replaced them with Fokkers/ATRS on their thin routes. According to this, one of VA's leased Ejets will be returning to Australia to be flown by Cobham. https://www.airfleets.net/ficheapp/plane-e190-451.htm

FOI 24th Apr 2019 01:00

Well, Iím glad we solved the seat pitch issue...🙄

uhoh 24th Apr 2019 06:15


Originally Posted by VH DSJ (Post 10454268)
one of VA's leased Ejets will be returning to Australia to be flown by Cobham.

Will be arriving in early May...

Daddy Fantastic 24th Apr 2019 20:51

Rubbish!! I flew the E-Jet for 4 years and the pax loved it. No middle seat and plenty of leg room, very quiet as well.

On eyre 25th Apr 2019 00:20

DF agree - have flown on BA E-jets many times and prefer them to the Airbus for sure. And they perform pretty well out of LCY.

Snakecharma 25th Apr 2019 00:44

VH-DSJ look no further than a dapper looking Italian chap who had a dose of ‘these things weren’t my idea and I want them gone’

Same bloke ordered the 330’s at great expense (don’t get me wrong they are a great aeroplane - just not at the price they paid).

The VA ejet was extremely popular, though a little binary, some people hated them, the majority though I think loved them.



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:48.


Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.