PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific (https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific-90/)
-   -   JETGO from Wollongong (https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/596782-jetgo-wollongong.html)

dijical 7th Jul 2017 07:35

JETGO from Wollongong
 
JETGO have added flights to Wollongong from Melbourne Essendon and Brisbane to their booking engine.

MEB-WOL (first flight 31 October)
Twice daily on Mon, Wed, Fri and Sun
Once daily on Tuesday and Thursday (no flights Sat)

BNE-WOL (first flight 23 November)
Once daily (except Tues, Sat)

Cheapest fare on both routes is $155.

It looks like a solid effort, after a long time without any RPT flights to Wollongong (Qantaslink pulled out on Friday, July 18 2008). It will be interesting to see if is a strong enough offering to be sustainable.

dijical 10th Jul 2017 12:34

The Wollongong flights have disappeared from their booking engine - maybe they've changed minds!

Ned Stark 10th Jul 2017 13:35


Originally Posted by dijical (Post 9826129)
The Wollongong flights have disappeared from their booking engine - maybe they've changed minds!

How is that not surprising

dijical 13th Jul 2017 11:24


Originally Posted by dijical (Post 9826129)
The Wollongong flights have disappeared from their booking engine - maybe they've changed minds!

Booking engine is now back up - all flights are now only $119. Get in quick!

dijical 14th Jul 2017 07:36

FALSE START: Flights from Hervey Bay to Melbourne delayed
 
JUST one week out from launching Hervey Bay's first direct flight to Melbourne, airline Jetgo has confirmed it is canning the long awaited service.

All flights booked for the next three months will be cancelled and customers refunded. Jetgo's Managing Director Paul Bredereck said the company had no choice but to make the tough decision after the new service failed to attract enough bookings to make the route sustainable through the winter months. He said the company was looking at the unprecedented set back as a "delayed start" and planned to try again in Spring. "The response has been softer than expected," Mr Bredereck said. "We're holding off until the beginning of October."

LostProperty 15th Jul 2017 02:41


Originally Posted by dijical (Post 9830245)

All flights booked for the next three months will be cancelled and customers refunded. Jetgo's Managing Director Paul Bredereck said the company had no choice but to make the tough decision after the new service failed to attract enough bookings to make the route sustainable through the winter months. October."

Sounds a lot like the much-hyped Roma-Sydney service a couple of years ago.

Pappa Smurf 15th Jul 2017 02:52

Hes blaming the people of Hervey Bay for not wanting to go south because its to cold.
But its whale season up their and southerners flock to the warmer climate this time of the year.

criticalmass 15th Jul 2017 04:09

As one who watched Impulse come - and vanish - from Wollongong, then watched Qantas come - and vanish - from Wollongong, I can't help this feeling of deja vu with the proposed services.

The fares announced are (in my view) unsustainable. They'd need to be triple that to keep the service running, and I doubt the numbers will stack up in terms of passenger liftings anyway. If the fares increase to what I think they ought to be, passenger liftings will plummet.

I used to count the heads getting on and off the Qantas Dash-8s on occasions, and although the aircraft were not full, I figured they were probably breaking even, and making a profit on quite a few of the morning flights. Well over half the seats were occupied on the evening flights I observed. So why did Qantas abandon the route?

One suggestion is when the Dash-8 100 series were sold, Qantas simply didn't have an aircraft that was legal for the runway (was the Dash-8 200 series overweight for runway 16/34?) and they pulled the pin because obtaining exemptions for each flight just got too hard. Now if someone knows the real reason, I'd love to hear it, but that made sense to me at the time and it still does. Like as as not it was a combination of adverse factors, not just one, but lacking a suitable aircraft was significant.

What is also significant is Rex have ignored Wollongong on their Syd-Merimbula route (which also takes in Moruya). The SAAB 340 is no issue for YWOL, so why isn't it on that route? Is it because Wollongong is just a shade too close to Sydney to make it viable? I've never run an airline so I have limited knowledge of the complexities of route-determination and pricing, but some things seem to be fairly obvious.

So Jetgo will come - and go - and eventually YWOL will become what it is today. Meanwhile, all those at YWOL who didn't bother renewing their ASICs will have a headlong rush to get them when the RPT starts up again, and the ASIC issuing bodies will rub their hands together with the preditable surge in business. Any of the HARS airside guys who don't have one will need to get their applications under way fairly soon, as the HARS area and the RPT area are very close together. I assume most of the HARS guys have an ASIC already.

Shellharbour Council have always had this dream of RPT at YWOL, but ultimately it is a case of not enough bums reliably on the seats, and just a bit too close to YSSY. I give Jetgo six months before they become Jetgone as far as Wollongng is concerned...but I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Deano969 15th Jul 2017 04:53

Fairly pessimistic outlook criticalmass...
With Wollongong being Australias 10th largest city and 80km from KSA or well over a 1 hour 15 minute drive, it has amazed me that the likes of REX have not jumped at Albion Park
Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast are both 100k from Brisbane and just 1 hour away and although they are touristy destinations, each support huge passenger numbers
Even Wellcamp is supporting multi-daily flights to Melbourne and Sydney

I think Jetgo will have great success on both routes with exactly the right sized aircraft for the routes and will likely end up 2-3 times daily on each route

Here's why
1) Those getting international connections will likely save money, even with the JetGo fare as there is greater discounting at Brisbane and Melbourne than Sydney
2) Those traveling from the Gong to Brisbane or Melbourne have a greater chance of making it to the airport on time at Albion Park
3) Albion park avoids the F6 M1 and often hours of fun and games and fog etc

JetGo just needs to keep in mind 2 things
1) keep flights on time
2) keep fares reasonable

The rest will take care of itself

TBM-Legend 15th Jul 2017 04:55

Simple rule of thumb is that you need $100/seat to get off the blocks to cover all of the things behind the scenes and costs to that point then an hourly rate to operate the aircraft and divided by expected pax load plus a margin. Without that you're not covering costs.

It's cheaper to go broke on the ground than in the air!

engine out 15th Jul 2017 08:04

I think Qlink pulled the pin as they were retiring the aircraft, but also as Bluescope reduced its flying due to losing money.

International connections won't help looking st Melbourne as they fly to Essendon not Tullamarine, not sure how the times work out in Brisbane.

As much as it tries Wollongong is not a major tourist destination such as the Gold Coast. I'm sure Jetgo will be looking at Wollongong major industries to fill seats, such as the Uni and bluescope,though many of those users like frequency and lounge access.

I do wish the luck and I hope success but I agree that I think in 12 months they will be Jetgone

chimbu warrior 15th Jul 2017 11:09


It's cheaper to go broke on the ground than in the air!
Wise words indeed.

Southbank Aviation couldn't make this work with a C421 35 years ago, when BHP were booming and their head office was in Melbourne.

Am I the only one who thinks that there does not appear to be a solid business plan behind some of these route proposals?

markis10 15th Jul 2017 11:34


Originally Posted by Deano969 (Post 9831260)
Fairly pessimistic outlook criticalmass...

Realistic I would say, despite all the stats history says expect 1-5 pax on average most days.

Deano969 15th Jul 2017 11:49

Some of their routes seem to be fairly solid
Tamworth , Dubbo , Albury and Wagga along with Goldy Rocky Townsville

I think that their biggest problems are
They are not found on the likes of Webjet
They are not really set up and well known enough for infrequent tourists
They tend to target smaller towns travelers heading to citys, which is fine, but they need to have a big lead in time as lots of pax would have booked in advance
Hub busting works well, but there is a need for affiliation with VA or QF take for example Air North Wellcamp services for an example
They tend not to launch new routes with daily services, this is important as a traveler who wishes to book with JetGo and, for example, can't get the return leg on their day of choosing, will likely just book the one stop alternative with QF or VA for both legs

JetGo would be better to look at multi-leg services, rather than origin, destination services

Example
Cairns-Maroochydore-Canberra-Hobart
Cairns-Newcastle-Hobart
Adelaide-Newcastle-Maroochydore-Townsville

Much better chances of bums on seats for 1-2 sectors rather than eg. Melbourne to Port Maq which should have continued on to Gold Coast, Rockhampton and Townsville

Look at how Brisbane Dubbo Melbourne has been doing

Even their new route Albury-Gold Coast could have been
Melbourne-Albury-Gold Coast-Rockhampton-Townsville

IMO :-)

PoppaJo 15th Jul 2017 14:40

This mob would have as much hope affiliating themselves with the local McDonald's let alone Qantas or Virgin.

Why would anyone codeshare with them? Just let them go broke instead and the rest is history. Worked well for Air Australia.

Ned Stark 16th Jul 2017 02:46


Originally Posted by Deano969 (Post 9831510)
Some of their routes seem to be fairly solid
Tamworth , Dubbo , Albury and Wagga along with Goldy Rocky Townsville

I think that their biggest problems are
They are not found on the likes of Webjet
They are not really set up and well known enough for infrequent tourists
They tend to target smaller towns travelers heading to citys, which is fine, but they need to have a big lead in time as lots of pax would have booked in advance

You forgot to add
They are unreliable

BNEA320 16th Jul 2017 04:45


Originally Posted by Ned Stark (Post 9832121)
You forgot to add
They are unreliable

to be found on any search engine site, like Webjet, who charge a booking fee, airline needs to be hosted in a GDS(global distribution system or CRS computer res system SAME THING) & these are very expensive. Most airlines have to pay everytime a booking is made, whether it's finalised or not. So bookings made that are then cancelled before a ticket is issued, still cost the airline, in most cases. Some bigger airlines might have these fees reduced, but for small airlines, the price is prohibitive.

dijical 16th Jul 2017 05:12


Originally Posted by BNEA320 (Post 9832150)
to be found on any search engine site, like Webjet, who charge a booking fee, airline needs to be hosted in a GDS(global distribution system or CRS computer res system SAME THING) & these are very expensive. Most airlines have to pay everytime a booking is made, whether it's finalised or not. So bookings made that are then cancelled before a ticket is issued, still cost the airline, in most cases. Some bigger airlines might have these fees reduced, but for small airlines, the price is prohibitive.

Fly Corporate have done so using Hahn Air: "New Australian airline Fly Corporate enters the GDS world under H1 code".

I have no idea of the cost but you would think that it is a fairly fundamental business requirement for a RPT operator of Jetgo's ambition.

pull-up-terrain 16th Jul 2017 05:16


Originally Posted by chimbu warrior (Post 9831469)
Wise words indeed.

Southbank Aviation couldn't make this work with a C421 35 years ago, when BHP were booming and their head office was in Melbourne.

Am I the only one who thinks that there does not appear to be a solid business plan behind some of these route proposals?

Just from my anecdotal evidence, the demographics of Illawarra and the Shoalhaven area have drastically changed in the last 5-10 years. There are lots of people in their late 20's and early 30's moving to Wollongong and commuting to Sydney for work as well as cashed up retirees in their 50's and 60's selling up in Sydney and moving south because property prices are less than half the price of Sydney. Not only that, developers are building large land subdivisions and apartments like crazy in the Illawarra too. The population is growing big time.

As long as Jetgo sell the flights at a price that works out to be similar to catching a flight from Sydney (including travel costs to get to Sydney airport), I reckon flights from Wollongong may succeed this time.

BNEA320 16th Jul 2017 23:45


Originally Posted by pull-up-terrain (Post 9832155)
Just from my anecdotal evidence, the demographics of Illawarra and the Shoalhaven area have drastically changed in the last 5-10 years. There are lots of people in their late 20's and early 30's moving to Wollongong and commuting to Sydney for work as well as cashed up retirees in their 50's and 60's selling up in Sydney and moving south because property prices are less than half the price of Sydney. Not only that, developers are building large land subdivisions and apartments like crazy in the Illawarra too. The population is growing big time.

As long as Jetgo sell the flights at a price that works out to be similar to catching a flight from Sydney (including travel costs to get to Sydney airport), I reckon flights from Wollongong may succeed this time.

You're forgetting about the time spent getting from Wollongong to Sydney & potential delays on roads, train or however you get there.

What might be a 90 minute trip most days, means you have to allow 150 minutes or more & just getting through security at SYD can take a while cf. Albion Park.

Who really wants to spend 5 hours getting to SYD & back ?

Bit like BNE & OOL. There are some crazy cheap airfares out of OOL, like OOL/SIN on Scoot for $88 to $129 one way on new 787's inc all taxes. OOL/ZQN/OOL on JQ for $200 inc all taxes which must add up to $170 + Air Asia have regular sales, BUT many of these flights depart OOL early like 0600, so it means people in BNE might have to get up at 0200, leave to drive by 0300 to arrive by 0430 with 30 minutes up their sleeve. Some will do it, the price shopper maybe, but many won't. The Tiger/Jetstar market are not Jetgo's market.

Jetgo seem to have about 5 fare buckets. The cheapest fares BNE/ABX were $179 originally & were available on all flights. Think they started with 3 or 4 a week. Now they seem to fly BNE/ABX daily & the sale price is $189, when they have sales. So it seems people will pay a lot more to fly in a jet nonstop, rather than a turbo prop to SYD & stuff around at awful SYD. You'd have to wonder if apparent Jetgo success on this route will lead to the likes of Virgin putting on an Alliance F70 or F100 on the route ?

Are Jetgo using their larger aircraft on BNE/ABX ?


All times are GMT. The time now is 15:30.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.