Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

B717 taxiway excursion Rockhampton

Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

B717 taxiway excursion Rockhampton

Old 11th Jul 2022, 11:29
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Australia
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B717 taxiway excursion Rockhampton

Rumour has it a B717 has come off the taxiway in Rockhampton and is currently bogged.

Local plane spotters Bookface has pictures.

Parrot Pilot is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2022, 11:39
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: FNQ ... It's Permanent!
Posts: 3,919
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If there are pictures, I guess it’s not a rumour!
Capt Fathom is online now  
Old 11th Jul 2022, 11:48
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Australia
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Photo from CQ plane spotters
Zinfandel is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2022, 21:02
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 463
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did they forget blue lights shouldn't be taxied across?
VH-FTS is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2022, 23:52
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: At the buffet
Age: 48
Posts: 77
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That stupid little patch of grass has been waiting a long time to catch someone.
Pastor of Muppets is offline  
Old 12th Jul 2022, 00:27
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Zealand
Age: 69
Posts: 480
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pastor of Muppets View Post
That stupid little patch of grass has been waiting a long time to catch someone.
The ‘grass patch’ has also been risk assessed previously and has been identified as a ‘possible’ issue. However the ground area in question would have to ripped up, electrical works changed, strengthened pavement laid, changed line marking and drainage, and new electrical work done. Then you have the costs associated with the work. Anyway, you never know, this incident could be the catalyst for some design changes at that section of the aerodrome.
Paragraph377 is offline  
Old 12th Jul 2022, 00:39
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sand dune
Posts: 202
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pastor of Muppets View Post
That stupid little patch of grass has been waiting a long time to catch someone.

I wonder if the aircraft was being marshalled onto a bay.
Blitzkrieger is offline  
Old 12th Jul 2022, 00:53
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 3rd rock from the sun
Posts: 2,120
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That will be interesting getting that out as I believe there’s no tugs in Rocky that would be capable of towing a 717, let alone a bogged one.

Feel for the crew, no doubt they didn’t go to work yesterday with the intent of making such an error, so I can understand the feeling they’d have now would be awful.
morno is offline  
Old 12th Jul 2022, 07:04
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: At the buffet
Age: 48
Posts: 77
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who did the “risk assessment”? The group paying for the pavement or the group paying for the incident?

In rain, that grass area disappears from sight, especially with bright apron lighting, poor apron markings and a marshaller waving “this way”

This is a classic “told ya so”. Chin up to the crew. There but for the grace of god and all that….

Anyhoo, I’m sure Robbo and Jonno with their snorkel equipped Landcruisers with snatch straps and max-trax are just itching for a chance to deflate some tyres and recover a jet.
Pastor of Muppets is offline  
Old 12th Jul 2022, 07:17
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: At the buffet
Age: 48
Posts: 77
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by morno View Post
That will be interesting getting that out as I believe there’s no tugs in Rocky that would be capable of towing a 717, let alone a bogged one.

Feel for the crew, no doubt they didn’t go to work yesterday with the intent of making such an error, so I can understand the feeling they’d have now would be awful.
Agreed Morno. Pilots just love to eat their own sometimes.
Pastor of Muppets is offline  
Old 12th Jul 2022, 08:46
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Above the Trenches
Posts: 188
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not the first time. An Ansett 146 was a bit luckier in the nineties. Fortunately it was a dry spell, but the tracks were there for a few months. The story goes that a WA crew ferried one up in the early hours of the morning. Taxiway J I presume?
The Baron is offline  
Old 12th Jul 2022, 10:41
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: FNQ ... It's Permanent!
Posts: 3,919
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe the owners of Rocky airport will fill in that grassed area or put high vis paint markings around it.
Capt Fathom is online now  
Old 12th Jul 2022, 12:19
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: 500 miles from Chaikhosi, Yogistan
Posts: 4,074
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, not the first time. About 10 years ago a 737 taxied across a grass area similar to this - albeit dry - and continued to the runway to takeoff. 😵‍💫😕😮
compressor stall is online now  
Old 12th Jul 2022, 22:47
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: House
Posts: 79
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pastor of Muppets View Post
Who did the “risk assessment”? The group paying for the pavement or the group paying for the incident?

In rain, that grass area disappears from sight, especially with bright apron lighting, poor apron markings and a marshaller waving “this way”

This is a classic “told ya so”. Chin up to the crew. There but for the grace of god and all that….
I got confused in rain, at night, in that exact spot recently.

Why blue lights, when blue lights are for taxiway boundaries?

It was known as a risk, therefore this falls on the aerodrome operators.


sagan is offline  
Old 12th Jul 2022, 22:58
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Home
Posts: 739
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sagan View Post
I got confused in rain, at night, in that exact spot recently.

Why blue lights, when blue lights are for taxiway boundaries?

It was known as a risk, therefore this falls on the aerodrome operators.
There are blue lights on the edge and green on the centreline.
Going Nowhere is offline  
Old 12th Jul 2022, 23:52
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aus
Posts: 1,845
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the sounds of the comments here airports now have to be designed with massive concrete pads from runway exit to entry points direct to bays so that QF pilots don't have to follow any taxiway markings. We make mistakes, but this one is not the airports fault if you don't even follow the marked lines. Hopefully the crew were very tired or had some other mitigation that will excuse why they did this, not just blindly following Bobs hand signals.
43Inches is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2022, 01:45
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NSW
Posts: 4,142
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Send the crew the bill for the disrupt!
TBM-Legend is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2022, 01:58
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 2,258
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Night, rain, poor taxiway design. There but for the grace of God.

Be careful out there boys and girls.
KRUSTY 34 is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2022, 02:19
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: 3rd Rock
Posts: 236
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 43Inches View Post
From the sounds of the comments here airports now have to be designed with massive concrete pads from runway exit to entry points direct to bays so that QF pilots don't have to follow any taxiway markings.
At some point one has to transition from a lighted taxiway onto the bay marking lines... which can be easier said than done in some environments.
Half the capital cities I've operated into in Australia on a wet dark night have lead in lines to the bay you would have hard time seeing if you didn't know where they were 'supposed' to be.

It sounds like this particular apron area was already identified as a risk so hopefully something gets done, not merely so that 'QF pilots don't have to follow any taxiway markings' as you put it.
Lapon is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2022, 02:39
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aus
Posts: 1,845
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lapon View Post
At some point one has to transition from a lighted taxiway onto the bay marking lines... which can be easier said than done in some environments.
Half the capital cities I've operated into in Australia on a wet dark night have lead in lines to the bay you would have hard time seeing if you didn't know where they were 'supposed' to be.

It sounds like this particular apron area was already identified as a risk so hopefully something gets done, not merely so that 'QF pilots don't have to follow any taxiway markings' as you put it.
Where your point falls down is that thousands of times a day, millions of times a week, pilots of large aircraft follow taxiway guidance and successfully park. If you are having trouble seeing the lines, slow down, take your time, if you lose sight of the lines, stop and request guidance. This aircraft hasn't even come close to following a marked line, the apron chart clearly shows the area of concern and grass areas exists at numerous airports as fillets between taxiways and aprons of multiple airports. This one is 100% crew error, trying to blame anything else makes it look like trying to divert blame, unless we can shed some light on steering or brake failure or something else going on. We all make mistakes, the crew will just have to own this one as blaming what I can see as correctly marked taxiways is not cutting it, and blaming an inanimate strip of grass for jumping in your way just sounds ludicrous. So you exit the runway and make a beeline for the bay without following the lines, who does that in large aircraft? Had the aircraft slipped one main into the dirt while taking a corner, different story, but doing a 4 x 4 overland route straight off the lines, that's just weird and wonderful stuff right there....
43Inches is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.