Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Qantas Fleet Speculation

Old 13th Feb 2022, 04:41
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 71
Qantas Fleet Speculation

Qantas A220 & A320 domestic fleet replacement. Who will fly them? Who will maintain them? Who will manage them?

Tech crews, CAMO, AOC, AMO etc etc.

Aviater is offline  
Old 13th Feb 2022, 04:49
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oz
Posts: 1,305
I think the business has other priorities at this current moment.

Whatever is cheaper. That’s how it will work. That’s how it’s worked in recent times and I doubt that will change in the future. Most of us will be retired, or near, before all these new fleets are completely rolled out, as well as executives. Long term plans they are a matter for the next generation!

All these big plans for the future are a matter for the 20 and 30 year old somethings of today to deal with. One thing I do know, they will bite themselves in the ar$e with lowest price wins.
PoppaJo is offline  
Old 13th Feb 2022, 04:55
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 319
Originally Posted by Aviater View Post
Qantas A220 & A320 domestic fleet replacement. Who will fly them? Who will maintain them? Who will manage them?

Tech crews, CAMO, AOC, AMO etc etc.

320/321 will be mainline SH. 220 I’d assume cobham or whatever they’re called this week.
goodonyamate is offline  
Old 13th Feb 2022, 05:11
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 17
Mainline SH also negotiating for the A220.
BravoSierraLima is offline  
Old 13th Feb 2022, 05:48
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Brisvegas
Posts: 3,357
Why not wait to see if they order them first. The recent announcement was about a potential order at the end of this year.
Icarus2001 is offline  
Old 13th Feb 2022, 06:55
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 635
Alan would, of course, have to actually order an aircraft for mainline.
ruprecht is offline  
Old 13th Feb 2022, 08:02
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Jungle
Posts: 565
Originally Posted by Aviater View Post
Qantas A220 & A320 domestic fleet replacement. Who will fly them? Who will maintain them? Who will manage them?

Tech crews, CAMO, AOC, AMO etc etc.
The Kalgoorlie refueller tells me A320s in the west will be operated by Network (including Jetstar's routes in the west); A220s operated by Cobham.
smiling monkey is offline  
Old 13th Feb 2022, 08:14
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Oztralia
Posts: 139
320/321 QF SH, 220 QLink
SixDemonBag is offline  
Old 13th Feb 2022, 08:27
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 1,714
Originally Posted by smiling monkey View Post
The Kalgoorlie refueller tells me A320s in the west will be operated by Network (including Jetstar's routes in the west); A220s operated by Cobham.
If you think NA could get their hands on 321s you may want to check the Integration Award and what that has to say about aircraft labelled as a replacement for current aircraft in the fleet, which the company has certainly said the A321 is. They’ve had trouble crewing the hand me down 320s in the best time in aviation history to find crew, so I don’t think they’re getting any bigger in the future.

I think the discussions may be on whether the 321 with its range and potential destinations could be considered more in part a LH replacement?

The A220 is another kettle of fish, the 717s and their crew are now within the group so that would be the natural location for their replacements. However those aircraft/crew aren’t covered by something like the Integration Award so that isn’t a necessity.

Looking at the A220-300 it certainly has the range and capacity to be a lower density 737 replacement in part, possibly that could come under the IA too, maybe that’s why SH could be a possibility?

dr dre is offline  
Old 13th Feb 2022, 09:57
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 160
Originally Posted by dr dre View Post
The A220 is another kettle of fish, the 717s and their crew are now within the group so that would be the natural location for their replacements. However those aircraft/crew aren’t covered by something like the Integration Award so that isn’t a necessity.

Looking at the A220-300 it certainly has the range and capacity to be a lower density 737 replacement in part, possibly that could come under the IA too, maybe that’s why SH could be a possibility?
The problem with giving it to mainline is what do they then do with the 200 NJS pilots when the 717 is retired. They’ve already spent millions relocating 30+% of them out of Perth, Darwin and Cairns do they really want to pay redundancies?

Last edited by aussieflyboy; 13th Feb 2022 at 12:08.
aussieflyboy is offline  
Old 13th Feb 2022, 10:48
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 1,714
Originally Posted by aussieflyboy View Post
The problem with giving it to mainline is what do they then do with the 200 NJS pilots when the 717 is retired. They’ve already spend millions relocating 30+% of them out of Perth, Darwin and Cairns do they really want to pay redundancies?
One possibility is to integrate them into the mainline group in a similar fashion to the “A” pilots post 1994 merger? Given the numbers I’ve heard about future recruitment needed they would only make up a fraction of the new pilots required. Maybe the “N” pilots would get x number of reserved positions on the A220 and then be worked into the seniority list somehow, but any further positions would go to general bidding in mainline?

Although that would go against the current tactics of more entities and more separation however.
dr dre is offline  
Old 13th Feb 2022, 21:18
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 160
Realistically what will happen is NJS will have the 20 smaller planes and do what they do now. Mainline will get the 320/21s and/or maybe a big version of the A220.
They will threaten to give the flying to NJS at the Mainline negotiations and threaten to give all the aircraft to Mainline at the NJS negotiations. The fact is they won’t do either of those things as the result of doing that will be too expensive (massive redundancies/crew shortages ect).

The most important thing for pilots is to remember who the true enemy is. Don’t listen/fall for the BS at the town halls that will be thrown at you. The threats of “it’s ours to lose” and “it’s important we reach an agreement quickly” is all part of the game. Don’t forget that folks!
aussieflyboy is offline  
Old 13th Feb 2022, 21:23
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Outer Marker hut
Posts: 212
Originally Posted by aussieflyboy View Post
Realistically what will happen is NJS will have the 20 smaller planes and do what they do now. Mainline will get the 320/21s and/or maybe a big version of the A220.
They will threaten to give the flying to NJS at the Mainline negotiations and threaten to give all the aircraft to Mainline at the NJS negotiations. The fact is they won’t do either of those things as the result of doing that will be too expensive (massive redundancies/crew shortages ect).

The most important thing for pilots is to remember who the true enemy is. Don’t listen/fall for the BS at the town halls that will be thrown at you. The threats of “it’s ours to lose” and “it’s important we reach an agreement quickly” is all part of the game. Don’t forget that folks!
Beat me to it mate!

The subtle undertones and time pressured “negotiations” are already being trotted out by management and those who wish to be seen as “good company men”. Everybody should read the above post and keep reading it until it sinks in. Pilots should be giving absolutely nothing away in order to earn a living, especially when the industry is dead without us.
bazza stub is offline  
Old 13th Feb 2022, 21:42
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Brisvegas
Posts: 3,357
They’ve already spent millions relocating 30+% of them out of Perth, Darwin and Cairns
Really? Did Qantas pay the relocation costs of the NJS pilots?
Icarus2001 is offline  
Old 13th Feb 2022, 22:05
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: AUS
Posts: 109
Originally Posted by Icarus2001 View Post
Really? Did Qantas pay the relocation costs of the NJS pilots?
Yes. NJS was in the group by then.
pinkpanther1 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.