Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Deck chair shuffle at Network aviation

Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Deck chair shuffle at Network aviation

Old 11th Dec 2021, 04:38
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Canberra
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deck chair shuffle at Network aviation

Hot of the press COO departs Network Aviation for virgin regional airlines !
Harry8434 is offline  
Old 11th Dec 2021, 06:40
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Sydney
Posts: 487
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Harry8434 View Post
Hot of the press COO departs Network Aviation for virgin regional airlines !
what is virgin regional?
Ladloy is offline  
Old 11th Dec 2021, 07:13
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 1,866
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ladloy View Post
what is virgin regional?
VARA

F100s and 320s

I guess thatís a sign they mustnít see much of a future at NA. Guess thatís also why most of their LWOP pilots from the group will depart when full domestic travel resumes early next year.
dr dre is offline  
Old 11th Dec 2021, 10:32
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 69
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pushed or ran?

You donít leave the QF Group when you are at that level unless the offer is too good or you are on the nose. VARA donít pay that well! Just sayingÖ.
ActiveLooker is offline  
Old 11th Dec 2021, 11:23
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: home
Posts: 455
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ActiveLooker View Post
You donít leave the QF Group when you are at that level unless the offer is too good or you are on the nose. VARA donít pay that well! Just sayingÖ.
Wrong actually, VARA have/do pay their pilots and managers significantly better than Notwork, it's not as if he's leaving a cushy mainline job and maybe he doesn't want to be the AOC accountable person when the first white rat creates a smoking hole
airdualbleedfault is offline  
Old 11th Dec 2021, 11:29
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 974
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
You don’t leave the QF Group when you are at that level unless the offer is too good or you are on the nose. VARA don’t pay that well! Just saying….
Exactly what I was thinking. If you want to make it big time in Mascot then you have to prove your worth in a Group entity. I would say he has seen the writing on the career wall and realised that he is not going to be moving back to Sydney anytime soon so he is going to try his luck with the opposition. It makes sense as Virgin is the playground for the QF castoffs.
Lookleft is offline  
Old 11th Dec 2021, 11:30
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 69
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by airdualbleedfault View Post
Wrong actually, VARA have/do pay their pilots and managers significantly better than Notwork, it's not as if he's leaving a cushy mainline job and maybe he doesn't want to be the AOC accountable person when the first white rat creates a smoking hole
Quite snappy there, perhaps itís hypoxia from the dual bleed fault. Post holders for QF Group Airlines are on QF Executive contract which are far more lucrative than what VA or VARA offer. The working class employees, however, I totally agree. Network pay and conditions are some of the worst in the industry, hence why they canít attract experienced guys and gals.

Last edited by ActiveLooker; 11th Dec 2021 at 21:52.
ActiveLooker is offline  
Old 11th Dec 2021, 12:52
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not at work
Posts: 1,517
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder what his gardening clause will look like given whatís happened recently with people jumping ship from QF to VA.
Transition Layer is offline  
Old 11th Dec 2021, 21:48
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 69
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Donít shoot the messenger

Originally Posted by airdualbleedfault View Post
Wrong actually, VARA have/do pay their pilots and managers significantly better than Notwork, it's not as if he's leaving a cushy mainline job and maybe he doesn't want to be the AOC accountable person when the first white rat creates a smoking hole
Perhaps the dual bleed fault has caused you to suffer severely from hypoxia. Before jumping to conclusions research the corporate structure of the QF Group. Itís a known fact that QF pay their senior executives very well with large bonuses pre COVID. Regardless of which QF AOC it is, a COO level position would be on QF executive contractual arrangements. As for the working class employees, I totally agree, Network pay and conditions are some of the worst in the industry, hence why they canít attract experienced people.
ActiveLooker is offline  
Old 12th Dec 2021, 02:02
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Brisbane Australia
Posts: 525
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ActiveLooker View Post
Quite snappy there, perhaps itís hypoxia from the dual bleed fault. Post holders for QF Group Airlines are on QF Executive contract which are far more lucrative than what VA or VARA offer. The working class employees, however, I totally agree. Network pay and conditions are some of the worst in the industry, hence why they canít attract experienced guys and gals.
Just curious, what does Network pay their pilots?
EPIRB is offline  
Old 12th Dec 2021, 02:30
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 1,866
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EPIRB View Post
Just curious, what does Network pay their pilots?
Straight from FWA:

NETWORK AVIATION PILOTS ENTERPRISE AGREEMENT 2016

$175k for an A320 Captain, not much in the way of additional payments for extra flying, 10 days sick leave, basically no rostering protections, very thin document.

No wonder Iíve heard most LWOP pilots are desperate to get back to their original employer once they are able to. Even heard some quit NA and are working at Bunnings until they can get back to mainline.
dr dre is offline  
Old 12th Dec 2021, 02:47
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mostly here, sometimes over there...
Posts: 322
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buttscratcher is offline  
Old 12th Dec 2021, 03:13
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Brisvegas
Posts: 3,512
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even heard some quit NA and are working at Bunnings until they can get back to mainline.
Wow, a pilot would really need to hate the flying to walk away from $175k plus super to work at Bunnings for what, $45k pa?
Icarus2001 is offline  
Old 12th Dec 2021, 03:22
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 1,866
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Icarus2001 View Post
Wow, a pilot would really need to hate the flying to walk away from $175k plus super to work at Bunnings for what, $45k pa?
I think it had more to do with NA demanding that pilot sign an extension well into next year, and then that pilot deciding they'd rather come back to mainline in a few months. Or so I'm told. Also may have been an FO on closer to $100k, so the pay gap may not have been that much. But it's just a rumour.

But have been hearing lots of stories about NA pilots seeking to get out to their original employer, and when looking at how the overall pilot market will go over the next few years it's going to be very difficult to attract employees on those conditions.
dr dre is offline  
Old 12th Dec 2021, 03:40
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Brisbane Australia
Posts: 525
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless you have an absolute love of flying, why would you become a pilot these days when you can go and do a trade and earn bucket loads more without forking out well over $100K to POSSIBLY get a job that you desire? And without the stresses of checks, medicals, back of the clock work, reduced life expectancy etc. I wouldn't be doing it again.
EPIRB is offline  
Old 12th Dec 2021, 04:24
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oz
Posts: 1,479
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EPIRB View Post
Unless you have an absolute love of flying, why would you become a pilot these days when you can go and do a trade and earn bucket loads more without forking out well over $100K to POSSIBLY get a job that you desire? And without the stresses of checks, medicals, back of the clock work, reduced life expectancy etc. I wouldn't be doing it again.
Itís no trade secret that there has been a considerable decline in self funded CPLs (and quality might I add) in recent times, most certainly we are talking about the next generation, ie those today between 20-30. Most certainly is not enough people to replace like for like retirements should you move the dial 20 years forward, many young ones of today will be lured by big twins with folding wings in the future, dollars will be thrown around as lack of bodies starts to bite.

To those who will even bother and put up all with that stuff you mention above, they will probably go on to have pretty solid careers with high ball remuneration in the long run, purely for the fact that there will be no pilots really left in 20 years.

If these Wild West operators are having crew experience problems now, thatís nothing compared to whatís coming in the long run. Just wait until China and largely the world reopens. If Rick cannot lure quality candidates with the amount of experienced people he has worked with in recent times, they perhaps need to start paying more? Good luck on that front though.
PoppaJo is offline  
Old 12th Dec 2021, 04:54
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: home
Posts: 455
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ActiveLooker View Post
Quite snappy there, perhaps itís hypoxia from the dual bleed fault. Post holders for QF Group Airlines are on QF Executive contract which are far more lucrative than what VA or VARA offer. The working class employees, however, I totally agree. Network pay and conditions are some of the worst in the industry, hence why they canít attract experienced guys and gals.

Sorry precious, no offence intended I think we'll have to agree to disagree as I don't honestly know what they're paying NM, nor do you, I just assumed that as they pay other senior post holders (HOFO, HOTAC ETC) rubbish money that they would pay the most senior post holder rubbish as well. That said I wouldn't mind betting he's not on the same coin as his equal in QF or even Jetstar, Eastern/Sunstate.
airdualbleedfault is offline  
Old 12th Dec 2021, 05:48
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Lagrangian point 2
Posts: 262
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dr dre View Post
I think it had more to do with NA demanding that pilot sign an extension well into next year, and then that pilot deciding they'd rather come back to mainline in a few months. Or so I'm told. Also may have been an FO on closer to $100k, so the pay gap may not have been that much. But it's just a rumour.

But have been hearing lots of stories about NA pilots seeking to get out to their original employer, and when looking at how the overall pilot market will go over the next few years it's going to be very difficult to attract employees on those conditions.

Thatís not a rumour. I know for a fact People have had a gutful and resigned to see out their LWOP.

ExtraShot is offline  
Old 13th Dec 2021, 00:03
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not at work
Posts: 1,517
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would have thought that with the current shortage of 787 SOs, anyone on LWOP would be welcomed back into Mainline with open arms…no need to work at Bunnings
Transition Layer is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.