Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Emirates Pilot Cadetships

Old 8th Nov 2021, 10:23
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Oz
Posts: 77
Emirates Pilot Cadetships

Open to international as well as Emirati applicants.
https://www.emirates.com/media-centr...s-in-aviation/
Propjet88 is offline  
Old 8th Nov 2021, 10:41
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Just a little to the left. Little more...
Posts: 44
Hmm. A Cadetship that you cover the costs on (181,000USD) that gives you

the opportunity to apply for a flying career at Emirates.
and a GCAA CPL.

Caveat emptor.

Edit - And if you're "lucky" enough to be selected to go to Dubai for the assessment rounds you get the privilege of paying for your visa, flights, accommodation and assessment costs and then if you pass that you get to pay your GCAA related fees (Medical and ELP) on top of the $181,000.

All this for the opportunity to apply with Emirates, not to have a guaranteed job.
Moony123 is offline  
Old 8th Nov 2021, 11:38
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: NSW
Posts: 78
Wow... Just... Wow... yeah, no thanks.

My theory is that if EK opened up some UK, USA, Canada and Aussie bases, they'd be flooded by experienced people wanting to work for them. Half Of the pilots in Aus would probably apply for a direct entry position, but who the hell wants to live in Dubai? And I'm sure no one in EK would want to abide by first world labour policies, so here we are.
cLeArIcE is offline  
Old 8th Nov 2021, 12:31
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Darwin
Posts: 11
Emirates is getting second officers?
ThunderstormFactory is offline  
Old 8th Nov 2021, 12:33
  #5 (permalink)  
short flights long nights
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 3,496
I have this bridge to sell….
SOPS is offline  
Old 9th Nov 2021, 05:05
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 2,741
My theory is that if EK opened up some UK, USA, Canada and Aussie bases, they'd be flooded by experienced people wanting to work for them.
There will never be a foreign base for EK as it is all about bringing economic stimulus to Dubai. There is no way they will gift high paying jobs to foreign countries.
neville_nobody is offline  
Old 9th Nov 2021, 05:44
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NSW
Posts: 99
Don't like it then don't apply...
TBM-Legend is offline  
Old 9th Nov 2021, 11:19
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Jungle
Posts: 559
They must have learned from Qantas that you can charge exorbitant amounts for flight training with the carrot of a possible airline job and people will jump on it.
smiling monkey is offline  
Old 9th Nov 2021, 22:52
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NSW
Posts: 99
Originally Posted by smiling monkey View Post
They must have learned from Qantas that you can charge exorbitant amounts for flight training with the carrot of a possible airline job and people will jump on it.

A university degree from a top university is $100K+ with no job guarantee so its all about investment and choice...
TBM-Legend is offline  
Old 9th Nov 2021, 23:26
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 414
Originally Posted by TBM-Legend View Post
A university degree from a top university is $100K+ with no job guarantee so its all about investment and choice...
Except you have multiple organisations and opportunities to pick from after uni. This will give you one chance. Quite the risk.
Fonz121 is offline  
Old 9th Nov 2021, 23:54
  #11 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Oz
Posts: 77
Originally Posted by Moony123 View Post
Hmm. A Cadetship that you cover the costs on (181,000USD) that gives you



and a GCAA CPL.

Caveat emptor.

Edit - And if you're "lucky" enough to be selected to go to Dubai for the assessment rounds you get the privilege of paying for your visa, flights, accommodation and assessment costs and then if you pass that you get to pay your GCAA related fees (Medical and ELP) on top of the $181,000.

All this for the opportunity to apply with Emirates, not to have a guaranteed job.
Sounds a bit like the QF academy in terms of job prospect / guarantee - possibly the price difference may be that the course is completed in Cirrus and Penom 100 Jet aircraft.
Propjet88 is offline  
Old 10th Nov 2021, 01:13
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: East of Westralia
Posts: 451
Originally Posted by Propjet88 View Post
Sounds a bit like the QF academy in terms of job prospect / guarantee - possibly the price difference may be that the course is completed in Cirrus and Penom 100 Jet aircraft.
Mmm, where to spend my career - in Oz, or in the Middle East.
ScepticalOptomist is offline  
Old 10th Nov 2021, 03:51
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oz
Posts: 1,087
Originally Posted by ScepticalOptomist View Post
Mmm, where to spend my career - in Oz, or in the Middle East.
I think the next generation looks at it differently, big shiny twins etc...folding wingtips...not 30 years stuck in the sand as such. They believe they can come back home one day. They wouldn’t be able to now as such, but I reckon in the future that will be possible.

At the moment the current generation probably won’t be able to come back home for a retirement job. The current pilots coming through now, those in the 20s especially, most certainly will be able to. I predict a lot of cash is going to be thrown around in the long term to try and keep or attract crews who will be spread pretty thinly in the not to far future.

I’d be getting a CPL mid this decade. They are going to have pretty good careers with many options.
PoppaJo is offline  
Old 11th Nov 2021, 01:45
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Syd, NSW
Posts: 382
Post

Originally Posted by PoppaJo View Post
I predict a lot of cash is going to be thrown around in the long term to try and keep or attract crews who will be spread pretty thinly in the not to far future. I’d be getting a CPL mid this decade. They are going to have pretty good careers with many options.
I predict you’re right. Crews will be spread very thinly. VERY thinly indeed. Just not exactly how you predict!

Airbus makes successful test run of pilotless plane

CaptCloudbuster is offline  
Old 11th Nov 2021, 03:09
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oz
Posts: 1,087
Originally Posted by CaptCloudbuster View Post
I predict you’re right. Crews will be spread very thinly. VERY thinly indeed. Just not exactly how you predict!

Airbus makes successful test run of pilotless plane
‘Like it or not, the idea of pilotless airline travel is moving forward’

Haha until they meet CASA.
PoppaJo is offline  
Old 11th Nov 2021, 03:50
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: East of Westralia
Posts: 451
Originally Posted by PoppaJo View Post
‘Like it or not, the idea of pilotless airline travel is moving forward’

Haha until they meet CASA.
And every other regulatory body! Wouldn’t be too worried about this happening in the next decade or two.
ScepticalOptomist is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.