Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

First Qantas A380 returns Tuesday November 9

Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

First Qantas A380 returns Tuesday November 9

Old 11th Nov 2021, 00:34
  #41 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia the Awesome
Posts: 363
Originally Posted by unobtanium View Post
Bypassing Sydney will be awesome too, who wants to fly into a sheethole of sydney airport after a long flight
Me, because I live in that sheethole ;-)
Roj approved is offline  
Old 11th Nov 2021, 03:22
  #42 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Wherever I can log on.
Posts: 1,774
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
Again, I couldn't disagree more! Hub and Spoke is generally the cheaper option for both airline and passengers. It won't change!
Your views are contrary to what a number of airline executives (including Joyce) are saying. Prior to COVID, Qantas was already in the process of acquiring the aircraft (B787 & the future A350) to develop Point to Point routes (JFK & European destinations) which bypass the LAX & SIN hubs. Research has confirmed that there is a demand from the travelling public to minimise the number of transit airports in order to reduce virus exposure opportunities. This is a strong enough reason for potential passengers to look at airlines other than where they have loyalty program membership in order to book the most direct flight, thus Qantas has to act quickly in establishing these routes and retain passengers (as well as lure pax from other airlines).

The good news for pilots is that these P2P routes will require a much larger number of mid capacity, ultra long range aircraft to cater for the large number of city pairs. This will mean a lot of promotions and recruitment.
Going Boeing is offline  
Old 11th Nov 2021, 04:00
  #43 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Perth WA
Posts: 578
While I certainly agree on P2P business models as the aircraft that can now do it without having to go via the past traditional hubs it still does very much depend on cost, competition and locations.

Looking as an example, pre Covid on the PER-LHR route, to fly business you needed a second mortgage. For the route to be undertaken, or indeed even via certain euro countries first , the cost is significantly reduced (for the sake of a few hours) . You certainly wouldn't find me up the back of a QF 787 for a non stop service to LHR (it gets so cramped and narrow) nor will you find me forking out 11000 dollars or more for biz. I'll take my chances via wonderful Doha and Qatar airlines or any other stop at the moment until the prices are a bit more realistic (for my purse strings) if that ever happens.
nivsy is offline  
Old 11th Nov 2021, 04:09
  #44 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: East of Westralia
Posts: 451
Originally Posted by nivsy View Post
While I certainly agree on P2P business models as the aircraft that can now do it without having to go via the past traditional hubs it still does very much depend on cost, competition and locations.

Looking as an example, pre Covid on the PER-LHR route, to fly business you needed a second mortgage. For the route to be undertaken, or indeed even via certain euro countries first , the cost is significantly reduced (for the sake of a few hours) . You certainly wouldn't find me up the back of a QF 787 for a non stop service to LHR (it gets so cramped and narrow) nor will you find me forking out 11000 dollars or more for biz. I'll take my chances via wonderful Doha and Qatar airlines or any other stop at the moment until the prices are a bit more realistic (for my purse strings) if that ever happens.
You may not be their target audience for that route. Iíve been told there is quite the market for premium seats on the 787, hence the configuration QF went with.
I know of quite a few non business travellers who happily paid for the upgraded premium economy experience in order to maximise their time away, without going the expensive business class option.
Thereís nothing wrong with going via the ME to save some cash, and I dare say thereís enough demand to service both options. The ME carriers will still have options out of Oz to Europe.

If I was to travel economy from Oz to Europe Iíd be picking shorter hops and taking longer to get there. Glad we have options!
ScepticalOptomist is offline  
Old 11th Nov 2021, 05:18
  #45 (permalink)  
Keg

Nunc est bibendum
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 5,550
Originally Posted by ScepticalOptomist View Post
Iíve been told there is quite the market for premium seats on the 787, hence the configuration QF went with.
Whilst there is no doubt the route has been incredibly successful, I think the config is more about MTOW minus max fuel = max useable ZFW. Itís this number that then determined the mix of J/C, W/C and Y/C seats.

Personally I reckon the 787 is way too big in J/C for more the more normal SE Asian routes. Maybe as the A330 retires we might see more QF 787s arrive in a higher density config closer to 300 pax with something like 28J/28W/236 type layout. Of course these airframes wouldnít be able to easily slot into the PER-LHR or other ULH routes.
Keg is online now  
Old 13th Nov 2021, 09:34
  #46 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Usually on top
Posts: 132
Speaking as pax, QF's only first class is in the A380. If they want to retain PO's and other VVIP flyers they'll need to offer first on the Europe/US routes, so the 380 is going to stick around until at least the 350-1000 with F are operational. QF 787 is a god awful experience in J, never would I ever spend more than 4h in that knee cap busting sardine arrangement. Next SYD-LAX is going to be on AA J for that reason.
physicus is offline  
Old 13th Nov 2021, 12:48
  #47 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 215
Originally Posted by physicus View Post
Speaking as pax, QF's only first class is in the A380. If they want to retain PO's and other VVIP flyers they'll need to offer first on the Europe/US routes, so the 380 is going to stick around until at least the 350-1000 with F are operational. QF 787 is a god awful experience in J, never would I ever spend more than 4h in that knee cap busting sardine arrangement. Next SYD-LAX is going to be on AA J for that reason.
I have to admit, I donít know what a PO is.

I donít even know what a VVIP is.

I probably donít care to.

Iím going to assume that both acronyms relate to folk who can afford to purchase P class tickets.

Based on your post, I have to assume that you are either a PO or a VVIP, or perhaps both, and that you are dissatisfied with the premium service offered by QF.

Perhaps you are actually a member of a small category of passengers well-known in the industry who are internally and discretely referred to as SICCAGs

Iím not sure, but I think the translation is ďSelf Important Character* - Canít Afford GulfstreamĒ.

They are commonly identified in P class as the ones who complain that the Beluga Caviar served ďwas a bit off - I canít believe you served this knee-cap busting crap - Osetra Caviar is always better this time of year. I think Iíll fly Emirates next timeĒ.

Genuinely wealthy folk, who choose to leave the Gulfstream in the hangar and fly commercially, rarely complain, are generally politely humble, and are a delight to serve.

They also tend to recognise, when stuck in knee-cap busting J-class, that they are one of the few privileged who can afford P-class, and that there just arenít enough of them to justify Qantas providing a customised seat, just for them, on the few days per year that they choose to travel. After all, they have a G5 in the hangar if they really want to relax enroute.

* canít recall exact wording

Derfred is offline  
Old 13th Nov 2021, 19:12
  #48 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Going nowhere...
Posts: 323
Cool

Possibly:
PO = Platinum One, &
VVIP = Very Very Important Person
😉🙄
Jetsbest is offline  
Old 13th Nov 2021, 20:19
  #49 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kichin
Posts: 546
I enjoyed watching a Captain have a PO couple removed from a flight after they gave the cabin crew a spray of abuse over a service not offered by QF. Said Captain was overheard as saying ďIf they are that important they would have their own jet. Kick em off!Ē Bloody classic I though
gordonfvckingramsay is offline  
Old 13th Nov 2021, 21:17
  #50 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Dubai - sand land.
Age: 52
Posts: 2,811
Originally Posted by Going Boeing
Your views are contrary to what a number of airline executives (including Joyce) are saying
I'll be happy to return to this thread in ten years and see we'll see how it's panned out. You mention Alan Joyce. Is this the weirdo into Unicorns and Rainbow coloured aeroplanes? Hardly fit to be CEO of a big airline when he's pushing his personal agenda heh?

In the meantime my aeroplanes, operating a hub and spoke, seem to be very busy. Especially in First and Business class!
White Knight is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.