Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

QF mandates Vaccine

Old 19th Aug 2021, 22:03
  #61 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Lost in Space
Posts: 210
Originally Posted by SHVC View Post
Itís a moot point, states are demanding proof of minimum 1 vaccination, if you plan on flying international some countrywide are mandating the same. I say good on QF taking the lead in something that will be mandated regardless.
Qantas; Does not lead the country.
t_cas is online now  
Old 19th Aug 2021, 22:10
  #62 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BBN
Posts: 561
Did I write that! I don’t think so, didn’t even mention that they did either. As a big business they’re taking the lead tho! If anyone has a problem with their rights being violated they have just as many rights to work at other business that may not mandate vaccination.
SHVC is online now  
Old 19th Aug 2021, 22:55
  #63 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Lost in Space
Posts: 210
Originally Posted by SHVC View Post
Did I write that! I donít think so, didnít even mention that they did either. As a big business theyíre taking the lead tho! If anyone has a problem with their rights being violated they have just as many rights to work at other business that may not mandate vaccination.
Ergo: the inference that the tail wagging the dog with regard to law, is somehow ok. That would make AJís agenda more important than the country in which the business resides. Vaccination is not the panacea to ending transmission, sickness and medical intervention.
Furthermore, you think it is actually ok to coerce individuals into into an alternative career or workplace, based on a self serving commercially driven agenda.
t_cas is online now  
Old 19th Aug 2021, 23:17
  #64 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BBN
Posts: 561
So, you say AJ agenda is more important than the country, so you would think the other industry mandating vaccination such as aged care, health care, Telstra, SPC foods, Wesfarmers and many more those CEOs are in the same. But AJ pipes up makes it mandatory (like many other business) it becomes about his ego. Get a grip.

It’s a requirement to be apart of the business to be vaccinated if you don’t want to, don’t be apart of the business. Maybe those who don’t should find employment with a business that more aligns with their views and welcomes them. Ppl forget mandatory vaccination has been here as long as I’ve been alive not having those vaccinations has a consequence also.
SHVC is online now  
Old 20th Aug 2021, 00:14
  #65 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Land of Oz
Posts: 207
NSW Health has mandated no jab no job for frontline medical staff……..way of the future folks……
No Idea Either is offline  
Old 20th Aug 2021, 00:33
  #66 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Lost in Space
Posts: 210
Originally Posted by SHVC View Post
So, you say AJ agenda is more important than the country, so you would think the other industry mandating vaccination such as aged care, health care, Telstra, SPC foods, Wesfarmers and many more those CEOs are in the same. But AJ pipes up makes it mandatory (like many other business) it becomes about his ego. Get a grip.


Itís a requirement to be apart of the business to be vaccinated if you donít want to, donít be apart of the business. Maybe those who donít should find employment with a business that more aligns with their views and welcomes them. Ppl forget mandatory vaccination has been here as long as Iíve been alive not having those vaccinations has a consequence also.
All of the companies and government departments are in the same situation as QF. You will also find they are all still assessing the risk and seeking exemption from liability. What they are doing is putting pressure on the fed government to mandate, they have not. There is good reason for that. They are following established conventions.

FULLY approved vaccines are those that MAY become mandated for those seeking to enter a country. They also MAY be legally enforced for certain occupations at risk. That is a lawful path.
t_cas is online now  
Old 20th Aug 2021, 01:04
  #67 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Above the Trenches
Posts: 184
A clever commercial decision by Qantas management. Now there is a clear difference between the competitors. You can buy a ticket and know the staff you come into contact on your journey are vaccinated. The alternative is get on the other ones and play covid roulette. Still, the risk is there with both but, one is substantially higher. Great marketing and lots of free advertising from the media.
The Baron is offline  
Old 20th Aug 2021, 01:49
  #68 (permalink)  
Keg

Nunc est bibendum
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 5,520
Originally Posted by No Idea Either View Post
NSW Health has mandated no jab no job for frontline medical staffÖÖ..way of the future folksÖÖ
With effect from when? Itís not at the moment. I know of a nurse working directly with Covid patients who was unvaccinated as at four weeks ago. Sheís been 1A since March but Ďwanted to wait and seeí.
Keg is offline  
Old 20th Aug 2021, 02:29
  #69 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Doomadgee
Posts: 134
Itís a requirement to be apart of the business to be vaccinated if you donít want to, donít be apart of the business. Maybe those who donít should find employment with a business that more aligns with their views and welcomes them.
All good and well if you want to join said company, not so clear cut if you have been in said company for years....
Capn Rex Havoc is offline  
Old 20th Aug 2021, 02:51
  #70 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 1998
Location: The Swan Downunder
Posts: 856
Originally Posted by Keg View Post
With effect from when? Itís not at the moment. I know of a nurse working directly with Covid patients who was unvaccinated as at four weeks ago. Sheís been 1A since March but Ďwanted to wait and seeí.
Same, I know a few ICU staff who have been/are infected/longcovid who are not vaccinated, not because they don't want to be but because it's not recommended at this time due to conditions that covid has created for them. If some idiot decides they can't work until they are vaccinated, then that won't be a problem for them, that will be a problem for us.
Xeptu is online now  
Old 20th Aug 2021, 03:07
  #71 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Land of Oz
Posts: 207
Keg

Brad hapHazzard announced it this morning…
No Idea Either is offline  
Old 20th Aug 2021, 03:08
  #72 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 167
Originally Posted by Keg View Post
With effect from when? It’s not at the moment. I know of a nurse working directly with Covid patients who was unvaccinated as at four weeks ago. She’s been 1A since March but ‘wanted to wait and see’.
It's reported that the requirement will be to have had the first dose by the 30th of September, and the second dose by the 30th of November. Exemptions will be available for medical reasons. Front line staff are already required to demonstrate that they are vaccinated against tetanus, whooping cough, chickenpox, measles and diptheria in NSW, and get an annual flu shot. It's not the way of the future, it's been here for many years.

Edit - Xeptu - Yes, it's a NSW health order.

Last edited by De_flieger; 20th Aug 2021 at 03:35. Reason: Clarifying the state the health order applies to.
De_flieger is offline  
Old 20th Aug 2021, 03:21
  #73 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 1998
Location: The Swan Downunder
Posts: 856
Originally Posted by De_flieger View Post
It's reported that the requirement will be to have had the first dose by the 30th of September, and the second dose by the 30th of November. Exemptions will be available for medical reasons. Front line staff are already required to demonstrate that they are vaccinated against tetanus, whooping cough, chickenpox, measles and diptheria in NSW, and get an annual flu shot. It's not the way of the future, it's been here for many years.
Is this just a NSW thing, Ours haven't been directed to do anything. We have done the covid vaccinations for those that can and should. Ours only got around to reading the Health Department Mandate a few days ago after you guys were going on about it.
Xeptu is online now  
Old 20th Aug 2021, 04:15
  #74 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 1998
Location: The Swan Downunder
Posts: 856
Originally Posted by De_flieger View Post
It's reported that the requirement will be to have had the first dose by the 30th of September, and the second dose by the 30th of November. Exemptions will be available for medical reasons. Front line staff are already required to demonstrate that they are vaccinated against tetanus, whooping cough, chickenpox, measles and diptheria in NSW, and get an annual flu shot. It's not the way of the future, it's been here for many years.
Our Staff the ones that served beside your Staff in VIC a year ago want me to let you know that, we weren't impressed with NSW at the time, we would have thought you would have taken home the lessons learned from that event. It is noted watching the news out of NSW a few days ago that clearly you haven't. We therefore respectfully decline your nation leading gold standard methods and mandates. Good luck and best wishes.
Xeptu is online now  
Old 20th Aug 2021, 04:30
  #75 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 167
Originally Posted by Xeptu View Post
Our Staff the ones that served beside your Staff in VIC a year ago want me to let you know that, we weren't impressed with NSW at the time, we would have thought you would have taken home the lessons learned from that event. It is noted watching the news out of NSW a few days ago that clearly you haven't. We therefore respectfully decline your nation leading gold standard methods and mandates. Good luck and best wishes.
Don't read too much into my post that wasn't there mate - I was just answering a question from Keg because it was a reasonable question that I knew the answer to. I'm not a New South Welshman and don't want to defend them in any way shape or form, it looks like they really have ballsed it up! I would have liked it if NSW had learnt from the experiences of other states rather than trying to turn it into some politicised "we did it better than you did without locking down" situation. Their gold standard - more like aluminium foil.
De_flieger is offline  
Old 20th Aug 2021, 04:35
  #76 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 1998
Location: The Swan Downunder
Posts: 856
Originally Posted by De_flieger View Post
Don't read too much into my post that wasn't there mate - I was just answering a question from Keg because it was a reasonable question that I knew the answer to. I'm not a New South Welshman and don't want to defend them in any way shape or form, it looks like they really have ballsed it up! I would have liked it if NSW had learnt from the experiences of other states rather than trying to turn it into some politicised "we did it better than you did without locking down" situation. Their gold standard - more like aluminium foil.
Yeah understood mate, the message isn't from me personally, I was under duress as so to speak, the girls are still pissed at NSW a year on, it was a total ballsup apparently and this event in NSW hasn't come as any surprise only that it's taken this long, pure luck really.
Xeptu is online now  
Old 20th Aug 2021, 05:43
  #77 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 348
Originally Posted by The Baron View Post
A clever commercial decision by Qantas management. Now there is a clear difference between the competitors. You can buy a ticket and know the staff you come into contact on your journey are vaccinated. The alternative is get on the other ones and play covid roulette. Still, the risk is there with both but, one is substantially higher. Great marketing and lots of free advertising from the media.
I don't think vaccine mandates in airlines will be particularly unique. Already QQ, CX, SQ and AA has announced a mandate for all customer facing staff. VA is rumoured to be announcing a similar policy before the end of the month. No western airline manager is going to risk a situation where it gets sued by a passenger who catches Covid-19 on one of their services and they can't prove they have taken all reasonable steps to mitigate the risk and a vaccine mandate is a reasonable mitigation.
1A_Please is offline  
Old 20th Aug 2021, 09:21
  #78 (permalink)  
Keg

Nunc est bibendum
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 5,520
Originally Posted by De_flieger View Post
It's reported that the requirement will be to have had the first dose by the 30th of September, and the second dose by the 30th of November. Exemptions will be available for medical reasons. Front line staff are already required to demonstrate that they are vaccinated against tetanus, whooping cough, chickenpox, measles and diptheria in NSW, and get an annual flu shot. It's not the way of the future, it's been here for many years.

Edit - Xeptu - Yes, it's a NSW health order.
Thanks de_flieger and No Idea Either for the info. Subsequently found it out a bit later as well. I stayed silent for a while but I was pretty cranky when I found out that nurses working with Covid patients had no ongoing surveillance program for them. I just couldnít comprehend that the same NSW Health department that came up with all the inane rules about iso and surveillance for fully vaccinated crew would then allow unvaccinated health workers engage directly with Covid patients, roam around the community, and not have any surveillance of them. I mean itís not like various health systems didnít have outbreaks as a result of people working with Covid patients.

Then about three weeks ago NSW Health started up the Ďevery three daysí for health staff requirement. About time.

If I have to be vaccinated to step foot inside Sydney International terminal I donít think itís too much to ask for people working with Covid patients to also be vaccinated.
Keg is offline  
Old 20th Aug 2021, 11:09
  #79 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 1998
Location: Mesopotamos
Posts: 1,602
Have a look at Thirsty's link a number of posts above, no not that one, the one before it. It pretty much explains it all except for a few annoying uses of the vague words of "should", "could", "may, "have to" rather than "must", but you have to appreciate this is a dynamic piece of work compiled in haste.

Effectively, employers can't mandate anyone get the vaccine unless they fall into one of the few categories that are legislated for, which also includes links to various state government orders which vary from state to state. Qantas and SPC do not fall into any of the mentioned categories.

So if the employer is not in one of those categories then the FWA advice for them is to seek expert legal advice. Which effectively distills the compliance argument down to following "lawful and reasonable instruction" from the employer, throw in privacy protection laws preventing employers from checking if their employees are actually telling the truth and it just becomes a bigger mess.
cattletruck is offline  
Old 20th Aug 2021, 12:58
  #80 (permalink)  
601
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Age: 75
Posts: 1,314
What they are doing is putting pressure on the fed government to mandate, they have not.
The Feds do not issue State health mandates.

So if the employer is not in one of those categories then the FWA advice for them is to seek expert legal advice. Which effectively distills the compliance argument down to following "lawful and reasonable instruction" from the employer, throw in privacy protection laws preventing employers from checking if their employees are actually telling the truth and it just becomes a bigger mess.
I think the OH&S laws override the FWA in most States.
601 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.