Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Virgin 3.1

Old 25th Jun 2021, 05:36
  #181 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 776
Originally Posted by cloudsurfng View Post
And there will still be daily cases
None in the community for over 100 days
Chris2303 is offline  
Old 25th Jun 2021, 05:54
  #182 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: australia
Posts: 824
Originally Posted by Chris2303 View Post
None in the community for over 100 days
If you think that means there can't or won't be a community case on day 100+ 1....or any other future days....I think you're kidding yourself.
As borders open up (and close again) and there's more people moving around it will happen - just a matter of where, and when and how contained the authorities decide they want to attempt to keep it.

The time will come where authorities will have to plant the flag and say "this is what is an acceptable of CV within the community and some people will get sick, that's life, grow a few!"
That time is yet far away.
galdian is offline  
Old 25th Jun 2021, 06:01
  #183 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 776
Originally Posted by galdian View Post
If you think that means there can't or won't be a community case on day 100+ 1....or any other future days....I think you're kidding yourself.
I'm not because I strongly believe that because our idiot politicians have become more interested in open borders than protecting their citizens.

Friends on mine are considering running a book on when the next lockdown will come in NZ
Chris2303 is offline  
Old 25th Jun 2021, 06:32
  #184 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: australia
Posts: 824
Originally Posted by Chris2303 View Post
I'm not because I strongly believe that because our idiot politicians have become more interested in open borders than protecting their citizens.

Friends on mine are considering running a book on when the next lockdown will come in NZ
At some stage borders have to reopen full time and some people will get sick - you can't keep living in fear, businesses can't function always waiting for the "next shutdown" which may be the one that wipes them out once and for all.
So I disagree somewhat as your tone implies living in fear is the default position for all time and it can't and mustn't be.
galdian is offline  
Old 25th Jun 2021, 06:43
  #185 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oz
Posts: 1,010
Originally Posted by galdian View Post
At some stage borders have to reopen full time and some people will get sick - you can't keep living in fear, businesses can't function always waiting for the "next shutdown" which may be the one that wipes them out once and for all.
So I disagree somewhat as your tone implies living in fear is the default position for all time and it can't and mustn't be.
The Virgin boss pretty much said that.

Outrage was off the charts from the snowflakes of this land. #BoycottVirgin was trending immediately after.

How exactly will this country transition to having 1000s of cases a day in 2022. Which premier will be the first mover?
PoppaJo is offline  
Old 25th Jun 2021, 06:48
  #186 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NT
Posts: 180
Originally Posted by PoppaJo View Post
The Virgin boss pretty much said that.

Outrage was off the charts from the snowflakes of this land. #BoycottVirgin was trending immediately after.

How exactly will this country transition to having 1000s of cases a day in 2022. Which premier will be the first mover?
agree largely, except if we’re largely vaccinated we won’t have anywhere near 1000s of cases a day, Israel have been aroun 35 a day for weeks now. Pro rata would put us at about 80/day. And they were bringing the numbers down from a peak of a per capita equivalent of 12,000/day vs our essentially zero
chookcooker is offline  
Old 25th Jun 2021, 07:05
  #187 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oz
Posts: 1,010
Even at 80% Herd Immunity the likes of these super strains will still spread like wildfire. Israel is starting the upward trend as Delta has arrived. However nobody dies. Those not vaccinated will start choking the hospital systems.

Once we hit 80% we need to move on. The number will end up in the 90s fairly quickly as those not interested in getting the jab soon realise they will end up in ICU as case numbers are irrelevant to the large majority of the nation.

The only restriction I expect once we hit 80% is wear masks if you have a cold, in order not to pass the ‘cold’ onto family or colleagues.

However it remains to be seen how the States will start to render case numbers meaningless, and we can move on finally.
PoppaJo is offline  
Old 25th Jun 2021, 07:27
  #188 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 348
Originally Posted by PoppaJo View Post
Even at 80% Herd Immunity the likes of these super strains will still spread like wildfire. Israel is starting the upward trend as Delta has arrived. However nobody dies. Those not vaccinated will start choking the hospital systems.

Once we hit 80% we need to move on. The number will end up in the 90s fairly quickly as those not interested in getting the jab soon realise they will end up in ICU as case numbers are irrelevant to the large majority of the nation.

The only restriction I expect once we hit 80% is wear masks if you have a cold, in order not to pass the ‘cold’ onto family or colleagues.

However it remains to be seen how the States will start to render case numbers meaningless, and we can move on finally.
At some point the government needs to say "We believe everyone who wants a vaccine has now had the opportunity to get one and we are therefore reducing border restrictions. If you choose not to have a vaccine, we believe you may be putting yourself at serious risk but we assume you are fully aware of that and accept those risks." Realistically this is probably March next year because such an approach would require a full vaccination program for everyone 12 years and older.
1A_Please is offline  
Old 25th Jun 2021, 07:36
  #189 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Zealand
Age: 68
Posts: 267
Oh FFS COVID COVID COVID. Isn’t there enough threads about COVID??
Paragraph377 is offline  
Old 25th Jun 2021, 14:35
  #190 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 24
Originally Posted by PoppaJo View Post
The Virgin boss pretty much said that.

Outrage was off the charts from the snowflakes of this land. #BoycottVirgin was trending immediately after.

How exactly will this country transition to having 1000s of cases a day in 2022. Which premier will be the first mover?
My view of Jane Hrdlicka's comments was that the only thing she did wrong was to apologise. She should have just said "Well, maybe it offends some people but I was speaking my mind and there was no malice involved so get over it".

I'm all for being polite to people but this social media pile on has become a lot of white noise. It reminds me of people in my early work career who would do as little work as possible but spend every moment they could in the lunchroom scoffing coffee and pontificating about everything and preceding every sentence with "the next thing THEY will do will probably be...."

Like social media warriors, they add nothing and just try and impose their negativity and twisted opinions on each other.

It often reminds me of that Australian stand up comedian - Steve someone, can't remember his second name - but he did a skit on being 'offended'. He correctly observed that many parents go around saying "I was offended...." yet when their kids come to them and say "Mum/Dad, that other kid called me an idiot...." they respond with "Don't worry, he's a dick". He then hilariously says "Be offended. Nothing's going to happen. It's not like someone's going to be saying I went to the comedy festival and this comedian made fun of our Lord Jesus and I was OFFENDED, then, when I got up the next morning, I had leprosy".
AerialPerspective is offline  
Old 25th Jun 2021, 23:05
  #191 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kichin
Posts: 534
Originally Posted by Paragraph377 View Post
Oh FFS COVID COVID COVID. Isn’t there enough threads about COVID??
There probably are enough stand alone threads about COVID, but COVID and VA are interconnected as far as Miss Jayne using (or abusing) COVID to access “extraordinary” provisions of the agreement in order to keep staff in a perpetual state of stand up, stand down. I imagine the bonus afforded to her will be eye watering as a result.
gordonfvckingramsay is offline  
Old 25th Jun 2021, 23:10
  #192 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Coal Face
Posts: 817
Originally Posted by gordonfvckingramsay View Post
There probably are enough stand alone threads about COVID, but COVID and VA are interconnected as far as Miss Jayne using (or abusing) COVID to access “extraordinary” provisions of the agreement in order to keep staff in a perpetual state of stand up, stand down. I imagine the bonus afforded to her will be eye watering as a result.
To be sure, to be sure!
Chronic Snoozer is offline  
Old 27th Jun 2021, 20:04
  #193 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: MELBOURNE
Posts: 4
It often reminds me of that Australian stand up comedian - Steve someone


Comedian Steve Hughes. Hilarious skit and so true.
RedClaw is offline  
Old 27th Jun 2021, 23:19
  #194 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Australia/India
Posts: 3,715
Ms Jane was stating a fact, not expressing an opinion.

Gigi Foster, a respected economist and regular broadcaster on that well-know right wing ratbag outlet the ABC, stated the same fact and got the same outraged response.

All day, every day, a price is put on lives and decisions are made that it's not worth the cost of saving a life. (Decisions like not having a tower at Ballina.) The decisions are not expressed in those stark terms, but that's the substance of them.

The problem with the response to C-19 is that the politicians have abdicated their responsibility to the medical experts. You ask a medical expert how to mitigate the risk of the spread of C-19 and the consequential deaths and chronic side effects, they'll tell you. And that's their job.

What they aren't asked - because they couldn't tell you the answer - is: what is the cost of those mitigating actions? If we shut down Sydney or Melbourne or whatever, what is the cost in terms of reduced quality of life, curtailed liberties, mental illness, suicides, other medical consequences, lost business and economic downturn?

The pollies are supposed to take responsibility for the decision that the mitigating steps are 'worth' taking, not the medical experts. But even if the pollies 'stepped up' to their responsibilities, they can't make a sensible decision if the costs of the mitigating steps are unknown.

The pollies have been happy to abdicate their responsibilities to the medical experts because, up until recently, they've been 'rewarded' for all of the mitigating actions. For example, Western Australians seem to love being shut off from the rest of Australia and the world.

The economic numbers are great!

Well, in that case, we should just continue with random lock downs of cities and states and keep the international borders closed indefinitely, because it's 'good' for 'economy' (and the popularity of pollies).

But, there's a very very very big cost being paid. I could max out my credit card on a bunch of 'stuff' and curl up in a safe ball of wool in my MacMansion. Materially rich and safe.

But doomed.
Lead Balloon is offline  
Old 27th Jun 2021, 23:34
  #195 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: there
Posts: 742
But, there's a very very very big cost being paid. I could max out my credit card on a bunch of 'stuff' and curl up in a safe ball of wool in my MacMansion. Materially rich and safe.

But doomed
And to bring it back to the original topic of this thread, wasn't that the financial operating model of Virgin 2.0 ?
slice is offline  
Old 28th Jun 2021, 00:31
  #196 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BBN
Posts: 561
Which we do not know.
SHVC is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2021, 00:41
  #197 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: east
Posts: 200
I’m guessing a Chinese carrier with very deep pockets will buy Virgin when it’s for sale and QF group will become the underdog .
There will be no way to stop the sale as it’s already foreign owned .
I’m really disappointed at the money given to both Airlines , why doesn’t the government demands a share of equity in each at least for the future fund !
Scooter Rassmussin is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2021, 01:30
  #198 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Brisvegas
Posts: 3,097
There will be no way to stop the sale as it’s already foreign owned .
I would not be so sure about that.
Icarus2001 is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2021, 02:20
  #199 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 188
Yeah sure, a great selling point for any airline at the moment would be ‘we’re Chinese’.
cloudsurfng is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2021, 03:23
  #200 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Sunshine Coast
Posts: 571
Originally Posted by Scooter Rassmussin View Post
I’m guessing a Chinese carrier with very deep pockets will buy Virgin when it’s for sale ...
There will be no way to stop the sale as it’s already foreign owned .
That's not a proper interpretation of the Treasurer's powers under the Foreign Acquisitions and Takeovers Act 1975, the Foreign Acquisitions and Takeovers Fees Impositions Act 2015 and their associated regulations. Airlines fall under the heading of 'sensitive businesses' which means that the Treasurer's approval is required for any transaction involving any foreign investor acquiring a 'substantial interest' (20 per cent or more) of any Australian-registered airline that is valued above $275 million.

Just because approval was given for a US-based company to acquire 100 per cent of a sensitive business that doesn't obviate the requirement for subsequent acquisitions to have to be approved.

Last edited by MickG0105; 30th Jun 2021 at 03:24. Reason: Tidy up
MickG0105 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.