Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

much of world reopening in March 2021

Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

much of world reopening in March 2021

Old 25th Jan 2021, 16:02
  #61 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 726
Someone sneezed then...
Dannyboy39 is online now  
Old 25th Jan 2021, 19:35
  #62 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 689
Originally Posted by Dannyboy39 View Post
Someone sneezed then...
Yep - associated with other returnees whilst in isolation.

She caught the South African strain in the Low Countries
Chris2303 is offline  
Old 25th Jan 2021, 23:50
  #63 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 726
Originally Posted by Chris2303 View Post
Yep - associated with other returnees whilst in isolation.

She caught the South African strain in the Low Countries
And despite all of the effort, the virus still gets in.

Spoiler alert: zero Covid isn’t going to work.
Dannyboy39 is online now  
Old 26th Jan 2021, 03:44
  #64 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Tent
Posts: 710
FYI - Sweden has since almost the start had some restrictions "recommendations" they call them. On 14 December they increased them including number of people to max 8 for many things.

On 2/10/2020 Sweden reported 93,615 total cases with 5,893 deaths.
On 25/1/2021 Sweden reported 547,144 total cases with 11,318 deaths.
Bend alot is offline  
Old 26th Jan 2021, 05:04
  #65 (permalink)  
short flights long nights
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 3,182
Originally Posted by Foxxster View Post
i wouldn’t pay any attention to anything coming out of the UK. . Boris Johnson yesterday revealed that the Kent coronavirus strain - responsible for the soaring Covid cases recorded in the last month - could be 30 per cent more deadly than older versions of the virus.

However the PM has been accused of 'scaremongering' after failing to present any evidence to back up the terrifying development.

And the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) - the body of scientists which has advised the Government throughout the pandemic - are only 50 per cent sure the new variant could be more fatal.

Professor Robert Dingwall, who sits on the New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (Nervtag) - the subcommittee of Sage which discussed the deadliness of the new strain on Thursday - said the claim that the variant is 30 per cent more lethal is on a 'very fragile' base of evidence and accused the Government of 'exploiting public fear' over the virus.

He told website Reaction: ' The 30 per cent more lethal claim about the virus rests on a very fragile and uncertain base of evidence. NERVTAG has expressed limited confidence in this figure, which should not be the basis for public alarm.'

'It is right not to hide possibly bad news but it is also quite wrong to exploit it to increase public fear and to try to shut down debates about the exit strategy from the current restrictions.'

Chief Scientific advisor Sir Patrick Vallance said during the press conference that evidence the strain is indeed more deadly is still 'weak'.

Public Health England medical director Dr Yvonne Doyle today revealed it is not 'absolutely clear' if a mutation of the virus first found in Kent is more dangerous.

Graham Medley, professor of infectious disease modelling at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, said it is an 'open question' but not a 'game changer' in terms of dealing with the pandemic.

He said: ''The question about whether it is more dangerous in terms of mortality I think is still open. There is evidence it is more dangerous but this is a very dangerous virus," he said.

'In terms of making the situation worse it is not a game changer. It is a very bad thing that is slightly worse.'

And Dr Mike Tildesley, a member of Sage subgroup the Scientific Pandemic Influenza Group on Modelling, said it was still too early to be drawing 'strong conclusions' about the suggested increased mortality rate.

He said he was ‘quite surprised’ by the announcement and recommended waiting ‘a week or two more... before we draw really strong conclusions’.
Seems to me these groups in the UK do a lot of talking and not much acting.
SOPS is offline  
Old 26th Jan 2021, 07:24
  #66 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: England
Age: 62
Posts: 290
SOPS,

Seems to me these groups in the UK do a lot of talking and not much acting.

Quite right old chap,leave the acting to the la-di-da types while we crack on with getting the first Covid vaccine approved and get a vaccination program underway which is currently at >4M and ramping up.

Do keep up

Momoe is offline  
Old 26th Jan 2021, 07:49
  #67 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: In the Cab
Posts: 93
How is this premonition of “opening up” going so far.
Double_Clutch is offline  
Old 26th Jan 2021, 08:24
  #68 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 726
Originally Posted by SOPS View Post
Seems to me these groups in the UK do a lot of talking and not much acting.
Just the 7m doses given so far.

In all seriousness, there has been a definite change in tone in recent weeks - with numbers going through the roof in December, the media have been encouraged to show the darkest side of this virus as a reminder of the grave consequences. Yes lockdown helps, but the numbers have significant reduced in the last week or two.
Dannyboy39 is online now  
Old 26th Jan 2021, 11:54
  #69 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 0
Is it all just perhaps a big crock of sh_t?

I have some "smoking gun" questions, which nobody seems willing to answer, (or can't properly answer for me), based on proper scientific evidence.

I believe they are rather fundamental and very important questions, and until they are answered, the world should just STOP doing everything it is doing now, and answer them properly first, because until it does, nothing else matters really...and we are all just simply wasting our time over the so-called "virus".

Fundamental Question 1:
Why, on a continent populated almost entirely by poor people, where poverty is rife, most of it...extreme poverty....on a continent...which has little-to-no medical facilities to serve its general populace...on a continent....where it's people have little-to-no medical science appreciation or understanding, and frankly could not care less really, about any sort of "virus" or having to wear a mask, when all they can mostly think of daily, is where their next decent meal is coming from....a continent...such as AFRICA...

After almost ONE FULL YEAR NOW of "virus exposure"....why then, is (at least half) of its population not already dead and decimated by the virus?

If one is to believe everything we have been told by medical science, governments and all the rest, about the virulence, contagiousness, and deadliness of the virus, why then, have we not seen Africa's population being at least reduced by HALF, over the last YEAR now?

Nobody either wants to, or can, properly explain this to me, based on scientific fact.

So then, by implication, we must ask a further fundamental question, if we do not have a proper scientific answer to the first:

Fundamental Question 2:
Are we to believe that somehow black people are different, genetically or biologically, to white people?

If not, then I tend towards the theory that the "virus story" we've all been sold, must in fact then, be nothing but a crock of sh_t...otherwise, all things being "equal", half of Africa's population should be dead already...and we should have seen veritable funeral pires of burning bodies on TV these last few months....but we have not.

You can't have your cake and eat it.

Either black people are different somehow genetically or biologically to white people, or the "virus story" we've all been sold, is a crock of sh_t.

It's really quite simple - take your pick and make your choice - you can only choose one, by logical deduction.

"But people are dying everywhere! Even my friend! Even my grandfather!" I hear you say.

Right...but in case you didn't notice...they always HAVE been....and so will you, one day.

And...all your "claimed deaths" in your recently pronounced statement quoted above, STILL DO NOT...answer my 2 fundamental questions above, ANYWAY, so its a meaningless statement you have claiming all the "deaths" in the above statement, in the bigger scheme of things, is it not?

The figures for COVID deaths just don't justify the extraordinary measures which have been taken around the world, and which have damaged economies and livelihoods around the world.

It does not take a genius to see that.

Until my 2 "fundamental questions" above are properly and scientifically answered and justified, I have no alternative but to believe the entire world has been sold a crock of "sh_t" as a story (the entire "corona virus story"), and has been nothing but sold down the proverbial river...

The question THEN would be, WHY?

And THAT, would probably fill an entire forum of responses...

I don't have the answer to THAT...nor will I even venture to speculate...but one thing is for sure, I am not a "conspiracy theorist"...I just want my basic 2 questions answered please.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by barryt; 26th Jan 2021 at 12:15.
barryt is offline  
Old 26th Jan 2021, 12:09
  #70 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Finsbury Park
Posts: 34
Originally Posted by barryt View Post
I have some "smoking gun" questions, which nobody seems willing to answer, (or can't properly answer for me), based on proper scientific evidence.

Fundamental Question 1:
Why, on a continent populated almost entirely by poor people, where poverty is rife, most of it...extreme poverty....on a continent...which has little-to-no medical facilities to serve its general populace...on a continent....where it's people have little-to-no medical science appreciation or understanding, and frankly could not care less really, about any sort of "virus" or having to wear a mask, when all they can mostly think of daily, is where their next decent meal is coming from....a continent...such as AFRICA...

After almost ONE FULL YEAR NOW of "virus exposure"....why then, is half of its population not already dead and decimated by the virus?

If one is to believe everything we have been told by medical science, governments and all the rest, about the virulence, contagiousness, and deadliness of the virus, why then, have we not seen Africa's population being at least reduced by HALF, over the last YEAR now?

Nobody either wants to, or can, properly explain this to me, based on scientific fact.

So then, by implication, we must ask a further fundamental question, if we do not have a proper scientific answer to the first:
How about a common sense answer......

Do people in Africa in general go to the shops, drive around in cars, travel by rail, go on holiday by air, use mass transit systems as much as those in the developed world?
D9009 is offline  
Old 26th Jan 2021, 12:18
  #71 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In the detent
Posts: 488
Why would half of Africa be dead? The IFR is less than 1%. Therein lies the problem....
kingRB is offline  
Old 26th Jan 2021, 12:23
  #72 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 0
Nice try D9009. Its much much worse than that. Until you've properly visited Africa yourself and witnessed the mass "squatter camps" where these people live, where most basically live on top of each other, with little-to-no sanitary "features" even...in their HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS...(making your quoted train trips and shopping mall expeditions look like school-girl picnics by comparison in terms of transmissibility potential of the virus)...you will not understand I'm afraid.

Last edited by barryt; 26th Jan 2021 at 12:37.
barryt is offline  
Old 26th Jan 2021, 12:38
  #73 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 0
Originally Posted by kingRB View Post
Why would half of Africa be dead? The IFR is less than 1%. Therein lies the problem....
Not sure what you mean by that? If you mean little-to-no IFR capability, knowledge, or appreciation (IFR being compared to medical science appreciation and respect, by the general populace, who will quicker trust ancestral beliefs, bones thrown on the ground and so-called "witch doctors", or government ministers complaining (literally) on national TV that dead bodies should not be wrapped in plastic bags because then they struggle to breathe (I kid you not!), then it emphasizes my point actually...half of its population should be dead already...at least in theory anyway, if we are to believe everything we have been told by our own medical scientists, governments, etc...

"Problem" is...they are NOT half dead...after nearly a FULL ONE YEAR now of virus exposure, MASS EXPOSURE, due to the living conditions the vast majority live under, in the midst of all the poverty, illiteracy, and general ignorance of medical science by the general populace of Africa, hence my original fundamental questions, earlier.
barryt is offline  
Old 26th Jan 2021, 12:55
  #74 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 160
There is a great void between a fraction of 1% and 50%. Even with poor medical facilities, that void is I'm afraid unrealistic to bridge.
Stick Flying is online now  
Old 26th Jan 2021, 13:17
  #75 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Coal Face
Posts: 655
Originally Posted by barryt View Post
Not sure what you mean by that? If you mean little-to-no IFR capability, knowledge, or appreciation (IFR being compared to medical science appreciation and respect, by the general populace, who will quicker trust ancestral beliefs, bones thrown on the ground and so-called "witch doctors", or government ministers complaining (literally) on national TV that dead bodies should not be wrapped in plastic bags because then they struggle to breathe (I kid you not!), then it emphasizes my point actually...half of its population should be dead already...at least in theory anyway, if we are to believe everything we have been told by our own medical scientists, governments, etc...

"Problem" is...they are NOT half dead...after nearly a FULL ONE YEAR now of virus exposure, MASS EXPOSURE, due to the living conditions the vast majority live under, in the midst of all the poverty, illiteracy, and general ignorance of medical science by the general populace of Africa, hence my original fundamental questions, earlier.
I think you missed a closing bracket. Here, have mine :-)
Chronic Snoozer is offline  
Old 26th Jan 2021, 13:19
  #76 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 1,216
Actually plenty of simple reasons for lower Covid rates in Africa, less public mobility, fewer aged care homes, a robust community health service that exists in most nations.....
But most importantly a younger average population age so fewer in the older age brackets that are most affected.
dr dre is offline  
Old 26th Jan 2021, 13:20
  #77 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Finsbury Park
Posts: 34
Originally Posted by barryt View Post
Nice try D9009.
ok i’ll try again......cars, trains, aeroplanes, subways, trams, helicopters, ships, all somewhat absent in the mass “squatter camps”
D9009 is offline  
Old 26th Jan 2021, 13:58
  #78 (permalink)  
short flights long nights
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 3,182
Originally Posted by Momoe View Post
SOPS,

Seems to me these groups in the UK do a lot of talking and not much acting.

Quite right old chap,leave the acting to the la-di-da types while we crack on with getting the first Covid vaccine approved and get a vaccination program underway which is currently at >4M and ramping up.

Do keep up
Well 100000 dead in the UK and arguments about hotel quarantine. I am keeping up just fine.


https://www.news.com.au/world/corona...b7b573067fb3bb
SOPS is offline  
Old 26th Jan 2021, 14:49
  #79 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 0
Originally Posted by D9009 View Post
ok i’ll try again......cars, trains, aeroplanes, subways, trams, helicopters, ships, all somewhat absent in the mass “squatter camps”
So if I understand you correctly, there is "somewhat" no transport in Africa then?

Is that it?

Never really been to Africa, have you?

Here...catch a glimpse :




barryt is offline  
Old 26th Jan 2021, 14:53
  #80 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Finsbury Park
Posts: 34
barry mate, I can supply the answer, the common sense you'll have to source yourself
D9009 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.