Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Virgin 3.0

Old 23rd Feb 2021, 02:28
  #1341 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Village
Posts: 61
Are there many people lining up for that role?
If you were running an unprofitable business, would you remove staff or just watch your business whittle away and fail? Please the business or please the people.... tough one isn't it.

If you look how technology has automated parts of roles, naturally there will be headcount reduction, throw in a considered strategy approved and signed off by the backers you're in safer hands than you would have been with PR Pony Paul..

Going by your posts, you'd sit back and watch Rome burn.... oh but sleep at night knowing your staff are happy....
Very VA-MK1
didrechambers77 is offline  
Old 23rd Feb 2021, 03:13
  #1342 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 554
Looks like there is a cult of personality developing. I have absolutely no skin in this game and am very happy to work for the opposition. One thing I do have though is the experience of having worked for a company run by your favorite CEO. If you and your mate P377 think she is the best thing since DT to come out of America then fill your boots but the reality is she will leave with a wad of cash and another business disaster.
Lookleft is offline  
Old 23rd Feb 2021, 03:31
  #1343 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Zealand
Age: 68
Posts: 180
Originally Posted by Lookleft View Post
Looks like there is a cult of personality developing. I have absolutely no skin in this game and am very happy to work for the opposition. One thing I do have though is the experience of having worked for a company run by your favorite CEO. If you and your mate P377 think she is the best thing since DT to come out of America then fill your boots but the reality is she will leave with a wad of cash and another business disaster.
If you read my posts carefully you would see that I am not saying she is the best thing since sliced bread at all. Iím simply saying that for the this period of time in VAís existence she is probably the best CEO for the job. VA doesnít need light and fluffy, thatís already failed. It needs hard nosed management to make it survive. Big decisions to be made within a brutal economic environment. Different CEOís have different methods of managing under different circumstances. Her time as a toe cutter will probably change in a few years time, who knows.
She has been disposing of the legacy deadwood and bringing in fresh management. Give her some time.
Paragraph377 is offline  
Old 23rd Feb 2021, 05:06
  #1344 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 690
Originally Posted by Paragraph377 View Post
Give her some time.
Time is probably the one thing she doesn't have
Chris2303 is offline  
Old 23rd Feb 2021, 12:13
  #1345 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: In the Cab
Posts: 94
Nah, Tennis has finished for the year...
Double_Clutch is offline  
Old 23rd Feb 2021, 14:04
  #1346 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Terra Firma
Posts: 177
What about the school runs?
Bleve is offline  
Old 23rd Feb 2021, 22:05
  #1347 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kichin
Posts: 573
Originally Posted by Paragraph377 View Post
If you read my posts carefully you would see that I am not saying she is the best thing since sliced bread at all. Iím simply saying that for the this period of time in VAís existence she is probably the best CEO for the job. VA doesnít need light and fluffy, thatís already failed. It needs hard nosed management to make it survive. Big decisions to be made within a brutal economic environment. Different CEOís have different methods of managing under different circumstances. Her time as a toe cutter will probably change in a few years time, who knows.
She has been disposing of the legacy deadwood and bringing in fresh management. Give her some time.
A track record of failures is nothing to be revered. She will fail to save VA with her proven ability to fail everywhere else, especially while she believes the most important people in the business reside in management offices.

As far as management flush outs go, history says she will replace the old incompetence with new incompetence. Not a single aviation professional in sight.
gordonfvckingramsay is offline  
Old 24th Feb 2021, 09:25
  #1348 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Village
Posts: 61
The empires of GM's is being sliced apart as we speak, I see a line of ghosts leaving very shortly. Org design consultants couldn't understand how/why it was put together in this instance.... one of Scuz mates I see....
Meanwhile the GM's are busying themselves putting proposals together for the next slice.... ciao ciao CSD.
didrechambers77 is offline  
Old 24th Feb 2021, 10:32
  #1349 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Zealand
Age: 68
Posts: 180
Yes indeed there are some puckering sphincters at the Village at the moment. Mrs Jayne hasn’t put the broom away yet. There are still more legacy specialists and deadwood mid-level managers awaiting the guillotine. No stone will remain unturned in the search for proper savings. It will be a much much leaner structure, a little JQ’esque even once complete, but it’s what needs to be done for the airlines survival and for at least some people to remain employed. Even the Unions are confused as to what the new Executive management teams plans are, however all will undoubtedly be revealed in due course. I guess the new CEO is making the transformation of VA a real game changer.

I also hear that Scuz and another former senior manager have hit the consultancy road and apparently some companies are shelling out precious dollars to listen to the two of them speak! Those wasting their money by paying to hear these two waffling on obviously don’t watch the nightly news.
Paragraph377 is offline  
Old 24th Feb 2021, 10:43
  #1350 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 1998
Location: Mesopotamos
Posts: 1,434
A track record of failures is nothing to be revered.
Seems to be a lot of these senior sorts flying around the corporate traps these days whom you just can't dispose of permanently. We had a similar precious petal who jumped ship into a leading position with a newly formed high profile organisation. She soon got the sack when she was found out, but her own contacts provided her with a parachute landing spot into another company. This is just criminal seeing the local cafe down the road wouldn't even hire such an overbearing, scaremongering and incompetent bitch, even for menial duties.

cattletruck is offline  
Old 24th Feb 2021, 11:08
  #1351 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Village
Posts: 61
Originally Posted by Paragraph377 View Post
Yes indeed there are some puckering sphincters at the Village at the moment. Mrs Jayne hasnít put the broom away yet. There are still more legacy specialists and deadwood mid-level managers awaiting the guillotine. No stone will remain unturned in the search for proper savings. It will be a much much leaner structure, a little JQíesque even once complete, but itís what needs to be done for the airlines survival and for at least some people to remain employed. Even the Unions are confused as to what the new Executive management teams plans are, however all will undoubtedly be revealed in due course. I guess the new CEO is making the transformation of VA a real game changer.

I also hear that Scuz and another former senior manager have hit the consultancy road and apparently some companies are shelling out precious dollars to listen to the two of them speak! Those wasting their money by paying to hear these two waffling on obviously donít watch the nightly news.
Correct, running around as "employee engagement" specialists, with his latest handbag.... Miss Workplace.... just another unqualified blow in from staff travel who rose through the ranks... maybe I should start a youtube channel and post about my wellbeing stories, flitter by eye lids, even widen them up with a sniff sniff to try and look sophisticated... .
Oh wait, did that at the Triffid farewell, weren't the hands wondering that night.... oops
didrechambers77 is offline  
Old 25th Feb 2021, 01:47
  #1352 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: AUS
Posts: 9
Snoop

Originally Posted by Paragraph377 View Post
....but given the chance she will keep many of you employed
Afternoon P377,

Any truth in the rumours doing the rounds another 1500 VA staff to go next month? Apparently Ms Jayne is yet to announce this latest reduction?

Cheers, Maxwell
Agent_86 is offline  
Old 25th Feb 2021, 02:41
  #1353 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Zealand
Age: 68
Posts: 180
Originally Posted by Agent_86 View Post
Afternoon P377,

Any truth in the rumours doing the rounds another 1500 VA staff to go next month? Apparently Ms Jayne is yet to announce this latest reduction?

Cheers, Maxwell
Max, I’m not part of VA, so I’m not in it’s inner sanctum, however I do maintain good connections. I believe there will be more redundancies next month, some structure tweaking and deadwood removal, but I have not heard of a confirmed figure of 1,500 people. I do believe however that Mrs Jayne has mentioned to the Government that without jobkeeper continuing there might be a risk of another 1,500 jobs being untenable. Whether that is a strong arm tactic towards the government or a genuine threat I don’t know. However the airlines are bleeding heavily so anything is possible.

Last edited by Paragraph377; 25th Feb 2021 at 05:38.
Paragraph377 is offline  
Old 25th Feb 2021, 04:08
  #1354 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: AUS
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by Paragraph377 View Post
Max, Iím not part of VA, so Iím not in itís inner sanctum, however I do maintain good connections. I believe there will be more redundancies next month, some structure tweaking and deadwood removal, but I have not heard of a figure of a confirmed figure of 1,500 people. I do believe however that Mrs Jayne has mentioned to the Government that without jobkeeper continuing there might be a risk of another 1,500 jobs being untenable. Whether that is a strong arm tactic towards the government or a genuine threat I donít know. However the airlines are bleeding heavily so anything is possible.
Thanks P377, I guess it's a case of 'watch this space' then I'm sure Ms Jayne will speak up once the dust settles from the AO

Cheers, Max
Agent_86 is offline  
Old 27th Feb 2021, 12:25
  #1355 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Fliegensville, Gold Coast Australia
Posts: 8
Wink Today I was a 'guest'

I hate that term...'Guest',..when it refers to airline passengers...but VA insist with it..

......Anyway flew TSV to BNE today, it was a Fabulous product but bare bones product....still 100% better than any thing J* offer though!


Fliegenmong is offline  
Old 28th Feb 2021, 11:08
  #1356 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 695
Originally Posted by gordonfvckingramsay View Post
A track record of failures is nothing to be revered. She will fail to save VA with her proven ability to fail everywhere else, especially while she believes the most important people in the business reside in management offices.

As far as management flush outs go, history says she will replace the old incompetence with new incompetence. Not a single aviation professional in sight.
Well, considering VA got into this utter mess partly by crucifying ANYONE with industry experience or anyone that showed any flair or ability, she can only do better if anyone has even had management experience of some sort.
The previous 'culture' was that there was an entire cabal of people below GM level who's main purpose in life was to check that everyone was wearing the same colour lipstick. The frightening thing is that many of them just went through the motions but others actually thought they were doing a worthwhile and rewarding job. Customers and investors don't give a fat juicy rats a*se about 'customer lens walks' and stupid expressions such as 'unpack that for me' or 'celebrating success' (the most common used expression in a business that achieved none - not fiscally anyway).
Anybody who noted that this perhaps wasn't the main area of concern was quickly dispensed with, without delay.
There's a level below GM that needs to be cleaned out urgently, the same old incompetents still drawing a salary and achieving nothing as they have done for the best part of 20 years (other than being promoted WAY beyond their level of incompetence).
She is exactly what's needed now, someone who is a cross between a feral abacus and a carving knife.
AerialPerspective is offline  
Old 28th Feb 2021, 11:18
  #1357 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 695
Originally Posted by Fliegenmong View Post
I hate that term...'Guest',..when it refers to airline passengers...but VA insist with it..

......Anyway flew TSV to BNE today, it was a Fabulous product but bare bones product....still 100% better than any thing J* offer though!
Here Here!!!! Couldn't agree more. It's a modern management-speak w-nk word that is utterly meaningless like the rest of the garbage "reaching out", "going forward", "customer lens walks", etc. Consistently, many times over last decade, Air New Zealand has been awarded the title of one of the world's best airlines - in ALL their manuals and training, they call their 'customers' "passengers", which is what they are.

Still, it's not the worst I've heard. I saw a journalist who calls out weasel-words interviewed and she told the story of a UK company that just couldn't bring itself to use the word 'sacking', 'retrenching', 'redundancy' or the like so they announced to their own staff (including those about to be affected) and the public that they were.... "Looking forward to growing our alumni network".......

Reminds me of how Ansett went nuts for the term 'customer' in the 80s (the latest US w-nk word at that time, likely from a Tom Peters lecture) even putting it on Loadsheets. The CAA (as it was at the time) told them to get it off as no one bothered to think about the fact the Regulations don't mention 'customers' and the Loadsheet is a legal document.

My one experience (first experience) on VA - it was DJ at the time - was traveling with my children and my then wife. We had been split seated, we both knew how airlines worked and my ex asked politely if anything could be done. She was dismissed completely and rudely. You can call passengers guests if you want, but the passengers couldn't give a damn. Certainly didn't make us feel like a 'guest'. Flew back a few days later on QF and the crew offered to take the baby and take our other child for a walk around the cabin, same as AN would have done.
AerialPerspective is offline  
Old 28th Feb 2021, 11:34
  #1358 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Zealand
Age: 68
Posts: 180
Originally Posted by AerialPerspective View Post
Here Here!!!! Couldn't agree more. It's a modern management-speak w-nk word that is utterly meaningless like the rest of the garbage "reaching out", "going forward", "customer lens walks", etc. Consistently, many times over last decade, Air New Zealand has been awarded the title of one of the world's best airlines - in ALL their manuals and training, they call their 'customers' "passengers", which is what they are.

Still, it's not the worst I've heard. I saw a journalist who calls out weasel-words interviewed and she told the story of a UK company that just couldn't bring itself to use the word 'sacking', 'retrenching', 'redundancy' or the like so they announced to their own staff (including those about to be affected) and the public that they were.... "Looking forward to growing our alumni network".......

Reminds me of how Ansett went nuts for the term 'customer' in the 80s (the latest US w-nk word at that time, likely from a Tom Peters lecture) even putting it on Loadsheets. The CAA (as it was at the time) told them to get it off as no one bothered to think about the fact the Regulations don't mention 'customers' and the Loadsheet is a legal document.

My one experience (first experience) on VA - it was DJ at the time - was traveling with my children and my then wife. We had been split seated, we both knew how airlines worked and my ex asked politely if anything could be done. She was dismissed completely and rudely. You can call passengers guests if you want, but the passengers couldn't give a damn. Certainly didn't make us feel like a 'guest'. Flew back a few days later on QF and the crew offered to take the baby and take our other child for a walk around the cabin, same as AN would have done.
Some favourite w#nk speech amongst the mostly former VA C-suite were; “Let’s unpack this”, “game changer”, “granular perspective”, “organic growth” and “low hanging fruit”. Hopefully some of that folly will no longer be heard around the much quieter hallways of the Village.
Paragraph377 is offline  
Old 28th Feb 2021, 11:54
  #1359 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NT
Posts: 156
Originally Posted by AerialPerspective View Post
My one experience (first experience) on VA - it was DJ at the time - was traveling with my children and my then wife. We had been split seated, we both knew how airlines worked and my ex asked politely if anything could be done. She was dismissed completely and rudely.
Over ten years ago? Cool story.
chookcooker is offline  
Old 28th Feb 2021, 12:54
  #1360 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Aus
Age: 39
Posts: 243
Originally Posted by AerialPerspective View Post
My one experience (first experience) on VA - it was DJ at the time - was traveling with my children and my then wife. We had been split seated, we both knew how airlines worked and my ex asked politely if anything could be done. She was dismissed completely and rudely. You can call passengers guests if you want, but the passengers couldn't give a damn. Certainly didn't make us feel like a 'guest'. Flew back a few days later on QF and the crew offered to take the baby and take our other child for a walk around the cabin, same as AN would have done.
I love hearing these kinda ďthat one time I flew with xx airline, and Iíll never fly with them again for (insert stupid reason)Ē stories at parties. Morons thinking theyíre the center of the universe and that staff should bow down to them as though they are kings.
turbantime is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.