Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

QF Group possible Redundancy Numbers/Packages

Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

QF Group possible Redundancy Numbers/Packages

Old 5th Sep 2020, 02:56
  #1761 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wellington
Posts: 229
Telfer, please consider this- I would rather be on A350 S/o pay than stacking shelves at Coles, which are lot of us have had to revert to.
Could you and your BS agenda please go away, we come to the forum to have a robust discussion, not have to read your FUD.
As for your AIPA bashing, what would you have done differently in negotiations? Started PIA when there was no flying? Have a talk to any JQ pilot (oh, that's right, your not in the industry) and see what's happening in an open EA.
Go away mate, you are just embarrassing yourself now.
Street garbage is offline  
Old 5th Sep 2020, 23:18
  #1762 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 120
Originally Posted by Keg View Post
5 LH pilots turned 65 post stand down and are still on seniority list as at 13 July- jobkeeper I presume? There are another four who have turned 65 since 13 July up to todayís date.
There are 55 LH pilots who are in the ER zone of turning 65 between todays date and prior to 1 Jul 22.
Could it be that those who are 65+ can't be forced into retirement due to the rostering limitations brought about by another country's regulations regarding operating over age 65, when there actually is no international flying? To force them into retirement would appear discriminatory when those under 65 (other than some 330 pilots) aren't flying outside Australia either.
C441 is offline  
Old 6th Sep 2020, 00:03
  #1763 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 316
C441, I have heard that argument a few times, but in my view it is a conflation of two different issues. One issue is the inherent requirements of the job, the other issue is the trigger for stand down. I do not believe there is an issue with unlawful age discrimination.
theheadmaster is offline  
Old 6th Sep 2020, 00:48
  #1764 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 44
Originally Posted by C441 View Post
Could it be that those who are 65+ can't be forced into retirement due to the rostering limitations brought about by another country's regulations regarding operating over age 65, when there actually is no international flying? To force them into retirement would appear discriminatory when those under 65 (other than some 330 pilots) aren't flying outside Australia either.
Under already unfortunate circumstances what a way to finish a long career, scraping every last cent as you go out the door having lived the golden era of aviation and conditions, LH commands in their 20s and 30s with large super balances.

Not to mention the moral side that we now have 260 odd pilots at the beginning/middle of their career trying to set themselves and families up taking LWOP for long terms.

Maybe itís time to acknowledge a bloody good run, not sweep up every last cent or lower themselves to bid for the 737 that they would never have dreamed of doing until they hit 65.
flyingfrenchman is offline  
Old 6th Sep 2020, 10:51
  #1765 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 56
Originally Posted by flyingfrenchman View Post
Under already unfortunate circumstances what a way to finish a long career, scraping every last cent as you go out the door having lived the golden era of aviation and conditions, LH commands in their 20s and 30s with large super balances.
Sadly I donít even think they will blink.
OzSync is offline  
Old 7th Sep 2020, 02:49
  #1766 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Boring Point
Posts: 288
Unfortunately, history shows that when the younger pilots reach the same age they will do exactly the same thing!
Obie is offline  
Old 7th Sep 2020, 03:17
  #1767 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: sincity
Posts: 1,121
Originally Posted by Obie View Post
Unfortunately, history shows that when the younger pilots reach the same age they will do exactly the same thing!
we'll still be FOs instead of 30yr capts
maggot is offline  
Old 7th Sep 2020, 04:48
  #1768 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Boring Point
Posts: 288
Originally Posted by maggot View Post
we'll still be FOs instead of 30yr capts
...and that is what they said when they were your age!
Obie is offline  
Old 7th Sep 2020, 06:05
  #1769 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: sincity
Posts: 1,121
Originally Posted by Obie View Post
...and that is what they said when they were your age!
at 20yrs in?
yeah, nah.
maggot is offline  
Old 7th Sep 2020, 06:58
  #1770 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wellington
Posts: 229
Originally Posted by Obie View Post
...and that is what they said when they were your age!
What rubbish. Before the pandemic, it was around 22 years until SH command. Before the lost decade- 2008-2018- it was 12 years.
I not going to get to get stuck in, but empathy was not a quality I saw a lot of in my time on the 4 engine fleets.
This thread had the highest BS factor of all time on PPRuNe- which really says something.
Street garbage is offline  
Old 7th Sep 2020, 07:09
  #1771 (permalink)  
Keg

Nunc est bibendum
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 5,448
Originally Posted by Obie View Post
...and that is what they said when they were your age!
Of the five that we are talking about, the most junior joined in January Ď87, the others in 85/86 aged about 30. They were Captains* in under a decade. The last 23-25 years in wide body commands.

The youngest wide body line Captain today? 48. Initial command after 23 years.

(*Had they wanted it).
Keg is offline  
Old 7th Sep 2020, 08:12
  #1772 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Denmark
Posts: 0
The lost decade really!!! wait until end of the year you will lose a lot more than a decade. AJ has a plan to remain "competitive" with the leaner VA.
Ragnor is offline  
Old 7th Sep 2020, 10:07
  #1773 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wellington
Posts: 229
Originally Posted by Ragnor View Post
The lost decade really!!! wait until end of the year you will lose a lot more than a decade. AJ has a plan to remain "competitive" with the leaner VA.
So, Ragnor, you are obviously a board member or a mate of Mr Joyce, please enlighten us with the your wisdom of our future.
FUD..
Street garbage is offline  
Old 7th Sep 2020, 12:33
  #1774 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In a house
Posts: 394
Originally Posted by Ragnor View Post
The lost decade really!!! wait until end of the year you will lose a lot more than a decade. AJ has a plan to remain "competitive" with the leaner VA.
No doubt, which will involve increasing market share.

You donít do that by parking jets, you do that by flying them. Hence I guess why the 717s have been redeployed.
Blueskymine is offline  
Old 7th Sep 2020, 20:23
  #1775 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Denmark
Posts: 0
AJ has already said that we will have to remain competitive with what ever come of VA which will be known very soon. Came from his mouth a month ago on a town hall have a listen. I'm sure a increase in market share will be attempted but there is also few new players arising from the ashes of covid.
Ragnor is offline  
Old 7th Sep 2020, 23:03
  #1776 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 348
Originally Posted by Ragnor View Post
AJ has already said that we will have to remain competitive with what ever come of VA which will be known very soon. Came from his mouth a month ago on a town hall have a listen. I'm sure a increase in market share will be attempted but there is also few new players arising from the ashes of covid.
AJ is on record saying he expects QF Group to have 70% domestic market share post pandemic.

This has also been admitted by Paul Scurrah at the recent CAPA conference, where he said they would be exiting unprofitable routes and reducing market share.

https://www.afr.com/companies/transp...0200902-p55rl5
ECAMACTIONSCOMPLETE is offline  
Old 7th Sep 2020, 23:30
  #1777 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Denmark
Posts: 0
Well Iím hopeful that 70% does come to fruition.

Will the punters have money to spend on air travel especially in Victoria the landscape has changed.
Ragnor is offline  
Old 8th Sep 2020, 00:10
  #1778 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 348
Originally Posted by Ragnor View Post
Well I’m hopeful that 70% does come to fruition.

Will the punters have money to spend on air travel especially in Victoria the landscape has changed.
Perhaps a travel voucher system (such as Tasmania) will help kick start the domestic tourism economy post pandemic.

Household saving has increased to 19.8% up from 6%. Yes there are those that have lost their jobs, but those that haven't have been stuck at home for the best part of a year and have cash to burn.

Given we are in the aviation industry we probably have a skewed view of the doom and gloom as we all personally know dozens of people that have lost their jobs, but there are many industries which have not been nearly as affected.

Last edited by ECAMACTIONSCOMPLETE; 8th Sep 2020 at 00:31.
ECAMACTIONSCOMPLETE is offline  
Old 8th Sep 2020, 00:18
  #1779 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In a house
Posts: 394
Originally Posted by Ragnor View Post
Well Iím hopeful that 70% does come to fruition.

Will the punters have money to spend on air travel especially in Victoria the landscape has changed.
Just also be very mindful that that extra market share is at the expensive of someone elseís livelihood.

Many of those effected would have been ideal candidates for Qantas, but took a moral stance on the options available at the time regarding the low cost operation which was hiring.
Blueskymine is offline  
Old 8th Sep 2020, 07:38
  #1780 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Cill
Posts: 25
Thumbs down

Many of those effected would have been ideal candidates for Qantas, but took a moral stance on the options available at the time regarding the low cost operation which was hiring.
and took a job at Virgin Blue by moral choice? Oh boy oh boy this is too good where's the Michael Jackson gif eating popcorn.


ShandywithSugar is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.