Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

QF Group possible Redundancy Numbers/Packages

Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

QF Group possible Redundancy Numbers/Packages

Old 20th Aug 2020, 12:43
  #1481 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: sincity
Posts: 1,086
Originally Posted by wombat watcher View Post
You need to update yourself on what age discrimination actually is.
Not one of these pilots over the age of 60 joined after the retirement age for both Qantas and legal retirement age became over 60. Anything they have got is a bonus.
The unscrupulous who bid for a B737 slots after age 65 and then go sick have no other motivation than to cut out their unused sick leave at B747 hourly rates. Most of them never intended to take up the B737 training. They are dishonest pilots..Sick leave is for pilots who are sick or injured, not the unscrupulous.
certainly a shameful way to finish a career
***** your colleagues too.
charming
maggot is offline  
Old 20th Aug 2020, 13:12
  #1482 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 1998
Location: The Swan Downunder
Posts: 560
Originally Posted by dragon man View Post
I would strongly suggest that you ask the moderators if they are ok with language you have chosen to use.I would suggest it is libellous.
Nope, definately just an opinion
Xeptu is offline  
Old 20th Aug 2020, 13:53
  #1483 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sydney
Age: 40
Posts: 78
DM think you might need to go back to law school he hasn't identified anyone
& secondly he has just expressed a view that someone who claims sick leave monies when they are not sick are doing something wrong, many people
would think you might be breaking some kind of law doing that

The former Whitlam Minister Clyde Cameron used to write about this kind of behaviour in the Public Service . Way back in the day up until mid - 80s it
was a popular sport in the PS for mid to Senior managers to "go sick" for their last 6 to 12 months to exhaust any sick leave before retirement

Pretty amazing if it is still going on in a commercial business 40 years later , if it is occurring it's just greed and entitlement culture of former Govt Airline. & also bumped someone from
doing an upgrade course - but that likely didn't factor so much into their thinking

Last edited by Telfer86; 20th Aug 2020 at 14:16.
Telfer86 is offline  
Old 20th Aug 2020, 23:07
  #1484 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: I prefer to remain north of a direct line BNE-ADL
Age: 45
Posts: 1,138
Yep I know 13 that have done it in the last 10 years, it’s all about Numero uno, ie themselves! It is totally ridiculous, and yes the Company has tried to take them on, but it’s a hard case when they bring Barristers for defence. Extremely easy to prove legally your unfit to fly, extremely hard to prove legally your rorting the system.
Angle of Attack is offline  
Old 20th Aug 2020, 23:08
  #1485 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: I prefer to remain north of a direct line BNE-ADL
Age: 45
Posts: 1,138
Anyway it isn’t going to be happening the next few years anyway, there will be no spots regardless.
Angle of Attack is offline  
Old 20th Aug 2020, 23:14
  #1486 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 251
Originally Posted by dragon man View Post
You really are a f##kwit. As usual you open your mouth and put your foot in it. There are two actions happening . Iím sure you have read the AIPA legal opinion, then gone thru the act and look at the exemptions and finally got independent legal advice. Iíll bet you havnt?

AIPA actions? If so, Iím out. Donít waste my dollars on those whoíve already seen so many extra benefits in their career.
goodonyamate is offline  
Old 20th Aug 2020, 23:26
  #1487 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Asia
Posts: 996
Are there any Pilots who bid for reserve the entire roster and just fly once a month to stay current? Senior men in some airlines could draw full salary for staying home, they just lost out on allowances.
krismiler is offline  
Old 21st Aug 2020, 00:51
  #1488 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 1998
Location: The Swan Downunder
Posts: 560
I remain absolutely amazed at what some of you guys believe is going to happen next.
Xeptu is offline  
Old 21st Aug 2020, 01:46
  #1489 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Denmark
Posts: 450
Give us your rundown Xeptu.
Ragnor is online now  
Old 21st Aug 2020, 02:22
  #1490 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 457
Originally Posted by Ragnor View Post
Give us your rundown Xeptu.
Iím pretty sure it involves shooting someone in the face.
ruprecht is offline  
Old 21st Aug 2020, 04:56
  #1491 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sydney
Age: 40
Posts: 78
If someone is claiming a medical condition that they don't have , only so many options such as back , psych etc

A GP has to refer to specialists after shortish period & that gets harder to bung it on

Not sure what rights a company has to not accept medical certificates and require reviews by other Specialists/GPs for sick leave,
they certainly can for workers comp, - get medical reviews ,use surveillance etc . Would be surprising if they just have to blindly accept certificates
from interesting Docs for long term sick leave, sounds like QF wasn't too fussed ,do other groups of employees do similar ?

Would be great to see you guys get back in the air, but unfortunately our State & Territory leaders are living out some kind of fantasy , just loving that border control

Think your CEO is warming you up for more redundancies & likely amending T&Cs talking about hard decisions & the cost advantage of new Virgin, long term stand down
comes with substantial costs. After a couple of years on stand down you have almost paid the costs of a CR for the 500 or so joiners from 2016



Telfer86 is offline  
Old 21st Aug 2020, 05:30
  #1492 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sydney
Age: 37
Posts: 484
Originally Posted by Telfer86 View Post
If someone is claiming a medical condition that they don't have , only so many options such as back , psych etc

A GP has to refer to specialists after shortish period & that gets harder to bung it on

Not sure what rights a company has to not accept medical certificates and require reviews by other Specialists/GPs for sick leave,
they certainly can for workers comp, - get medical reviews ,use surveillance etc . Would be surprising if they just have to blindly accept certificates
from interesting Docs for long term sick leave, sounds like QF wasn't too fussed ,do other groups of employees do similar ?

Would be great to see you guys get back in the air, but unfortunately our State & Territory leaders are living out some kind of fantasy , just loving that border control

Think your CEO is warming you up for more redundancies & likely amending T&Cs talking about hard decisions & the cost advantage of new Virgin, long term stand down
comes with substantial costs. After a couple of years on stand down you have almost paid the costs of a CR for the 500 or so joiners from 2016
Yep agreed.

The "In the news" email this morning says it all really.

".......the Qantas group faces more tough decisions in the weeks ahead and that there will unfortunately be more job losses."

Take the CR immunity while it's available.
normanton is offline  
Old 21st Aug 2020, 05:53
  #1493 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Denmark
Posts: 450
Making 6000 redundant already, seeking concessions in pilots EBA (at JQ anyway)to ďhelp the company prevent pilot redundanciesĒ makes me wonder after reading that from AJ why would we agree to anything to help them out if itís going to happen anyway.
Ragnor is online now  
Old 21st Aug 2020, 06:23
  #1494 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Hyperspace
Posts: 90
I would suggest the Group CEO is just getting started.

Brace, Brace, Brace
Arthur D is offline  
Old 21st Aug 2020, 06:32
  #1495 (permalink)  

Evertonian
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: #3117# Ppruner of the Year Nominee 2005
Posts: 10,606
Originally Posted by Arthur D View Post
I would suggest the Group CEO is just getting started.
You tink?
Buster Hyman is offline  
Old 21st Aug 2020, 06:41
  #1496 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sydney
Age: 40
Posts: 78
Weren't the JQ negotiating group dithering to much allowed the company to drag it out & out & out in very strong economic times
mid 2018 & 2019. When did the last agreement expire ? Should have just been more pragmatic & got a deal done without asking for "iron-clad" guarantees
& thinking you would get everything you asked for ? Who botched it ? (in terms of the slowness of negotiations) was it AFAP ?, other unions/associations or JQ pilot committee

The QF guys got a great deal getting EBA10 approved (correct ?) this year , pay rises etc

It was almost unbelievable to see the company proceed & push to get this done back in March when Covid was exploding around the world

Why couldn't they see at that point that Sunrise was now Sundowner ?

The tide is way out , big Tsunami barreling in & the response is - let's give everyone a pay rise

Rookie error by QF management





Telfer86 is offline  
Old 21st Aug 2020, 07:18
  #1497 (permalink)  

Evertonian
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: #3117# Ppruner of the Year Nominee 2005
Posts: 10,606
Originally Posted by Telfer86 View Post
Weren't the JQ negotiating group dithering to much allowed the company to drag it out & out & out in very strong economic times
mid 2018 & 2019. When did the last agreement expire ? Should have just been more pragmatic & got a deal done without asking for "iron-clad" guarantees
& thinking you would get everything you asked for ? Who botched it ? (in terms of the slowness of negotiations) was it AFAP ?, other unions/associations or JQ pilot committee
It's a two way street surely? I've never been involved in an EBA negotiation, but if it's dragged out for so long already, drag it out further on current conditions until the timing or market conditions are more favorable. Happy to be 'educated' if I've got this wrong.
Buster Hyman is offline  
Old 21st Aug 2020, 08:31
  #1498 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 85
The tide is way out , big Tsunami barreling in & the response is - let's give everyone a pay rise
Rookie error by QF management
Maybe not if the A380 doesn't return and the 330 fleet is reduced significantly. They've now got a wage and conditions agreement significantly more favourable than they would otherwise have anticipated when things return to even a modicum of normality - especially when they won't stand pilots up until they can justify the expense. Don't forget this agreement will be halfway to expiry by the time things even look like 'normal' and if they get their way, 'variations' will have been proposed and voted on, precisely developed to ensure a majority will support them.
C441 is online now  
Old 21st Aug 2020, 08:50
  #1499 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 1998
Location: The Swan Downunder
Posts: 560
Originally Posted by Ragnor View Post
Give us your rundown Xeptu.
There's probably not much point, but there will be no re-assignments and no re-training, the rest you can work out for yourself.
Xeptu is offline  
Old 21st Aug 2020, 23:01
  #1500 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: centre of my universe
Posts: 289
Originally Posted by Xeptu View Post
There's probably not much point, but there will be no re-assignments and no re-training, the rest you can work out for yourself.
The rest is continued stand downs until things improve. And they will improve at some point.
Poto is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.