Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

All borders to reopen.

Old 21st Jul 2021, 04:29
  #6201 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: HKG
Posts: 399
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great post minigun, well summed up!
Green.Dot is offline  
Old 21st Jul 2021, 04:30
  #6202 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: East of Westralia
Posts: 640
Received 73 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by minigundiplomat
Well shit, as Einstein points out, weíve never had it so good, what I canít understand is why nobody thought of a global pandemic as an engine for growth earlier?

Iíve had one AZ and have the second next week. Iím not a COVID denier, and neither do I believe itís a 5G conspiracy. Like most on here, Iíve spent my entire career in an environment of regulatory compliance, so if Iím told to stay indoors or wear a mask Iím hardwired to comply.

But for those of you sitting there (many of you in government jobs) telling yourself Australia has done an awesome job, you are completely deluded. This countryís management of this virus has been a shitshow of epic proportions. Geography spared us from mass infection and jobkeeper blunted some of the economic pain.

Closing international borders was a good decision, but executed by both feds and state government like 3 year olds finger painting with their own poo.

National cabinet has produced zero collaboration or consensus and merely legitimised state premiers who have repeatedly proved to be low talent administrators driven purely by reelection. In Qld the bag lady, sorry CMO, has actually sabotaged the vaccine rollout she supposedly supports.

The vaccine rollout (sorry feds, this one is all you) was a day late and a dollar short, and world class in terms of lethargy in delivery and confused messaging.

We now find ourselves a laughing stock, or we would do if the media reported any news outside of Australia or NZ, and confined to a miserable and dystopian world of often politically driven lockdowns and decimated consumer confidence, whilst the vaccine rollout continues at a rate even Burkina Faso would be ashamed of.

Yet we sit at home watching the ABC news and tutting about decisions made in the US or UK in a very different environment. Take a bow Australia
What he/she/they said!!
ScepticalOptomist is offline  
Old 21st Jul 2021, 04:41
  #6203 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 1998
Location: The Swan Downunder
Posts: 1,069
Likes: 0
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Beautifully written! minigundiplomat. Politicians though are ordinary elected australians like us, unlike the the public service that's supposed to be qualified professionals executing the will of the people. It's clearly not what it used to be, all the good ones soaked up by the private sector and replaced by a bunch of new Australians, with level 4 English at best that the private sector wouldn't employ, they will become the next generation of senior public servants.
On a completely different note, China appears to be doing quite well with only 40 or so cases a day for the largest population in the world, extraordinary achievement don't you think.
Xeptu is offline  
Old 21st Jul 2021, 04:55
  #6204 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not at work
Posts: 1,552
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by minigundiplomat
Well shit, as Einstein points out, weíve never had it so good, what I canít understand is why nobody thought of a global pandemic as an engine for growth earlier?

Iíve had one AZ and have the second next week. Iím not a COVID denier, and neither do I believe itís a 5G conspiracy. Like most on here, Iíve spent my entire career in an environment of regulatory compliance, so if Iím told to stay indoors or wear a mask Iím hardwired to comply.

But for those of you sitting there (many of you in government jobs) telling yourself Australia has done an awesome job, you are completely deluded. This countryís management of this virus has been a shitshow of epic proportions. Geography spared us from mass infection and jobkeeper blunted some of the economic pain.

Closing international borders was a good decision, but executed by both feds and state government like 3 year olds finger painting with their own poo.

National cabinet has produced zero collaboration or consensus and merely legitimised state premiers who have repeatedly proved to be low talent administrators driven purely by reelection. In Qld the bag lady, sorry CMO, has actually sabotaged the vaccine rollout she supposedly supports.

The vaccine rollout (sorry feds, this one is all you) was a day late and a dollar short, and world class in terms of lethargy in delivery and confused messaging.

We now find ourselves a laughing stock, or we would do if the media reported any news outside of Australia or NZ, and confined to a miserable and dystopian world of often politically driven lockdowns and decimated consumer confidence, whilst the vaccine rollout continues at a rate even Burkina Faso would be ashamed of.

Yet we sit at home watching the ABC news and tutting about decisions made in the US or UK in a very different environment. Take a bow Australia
Brilliant
Transition Layer is offline  
Old 21st Jul 2021, 04:56
  #6205 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Most locked down city in the world
Posts: 546
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Xeptu
Beautifully written! minigundiplomat. Politicians though are ordinary elected australians like us, unlike the the public service that's supposed to be qualified professionals executing the will of the people. It's clearly not what it used to be, all the good ones soaked up by the private sector and replaced by a bunch of new Australians, with level 4 English at best that the private sector wouldn't employ, they will become the next generation of senior public servants.
On a completely different note, China appears to be doing quite well with only 40 or so cases a day for the largest population in the world, extraordinary achievement don't you think.
Totally agree, and Peter Costello was one of those good ones. If he became PM, how different this country would be today. Even if he came back today, he would landslide election after election.
Turnleft080 is offline  
Old 21st Jul 2021, 05:11
  #6206 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Round the corner
Age: 61
Posts: 92
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by minigundiplomat
Well shit, as Einstein points out, weíve never had it so good, what I canít understand is why nobody thought of a global pandemic as an engine for growth earlier?

Iíve had one AZ and have the second next week. Iím not a COVID denier, and neither do I believe itís a 5G conspiracy. Like most on here, Iíve spent my entire career in an environment of regulatory compliance, so if Iím told to stay indoors or wear a mask Iím hardwired to comply.

But for those of you sitting there (many of you in government jobs) telling yourself Australia has done an awesome job, you are completely deluded. This countryís management of this virus has been a shitshow of epic proportions. Geography spared us from mass infection and jobkeeper blunted some of the economic pain.

Closing international borders was a good decision, but executed by both feds and state government like 3 year olds finger painting with their own poo.

National cabinet has produced zero collaboration or consensus and merely legitimised state premiers who have repeatedly proved to be low talent administrators driven purely by reelection. In Qld the bag lady, sorry CMO, has actually sabotaged the vaccine rollout she supposedly supports.

The vaccine rollout (sorry feds, this one is all you) was a day late and a dollar short, and world class in terms of lethargy in delivery and confused messaging.

We now find ourselves a laughing stock, or we would do if the media reported any news outside of Australia or NZ, and confined to a miserable and dystopian world of often politically driven lockdowns and decimated consumer confidence, whilst the vaccine rollout continues at a rate even Burkina Faso would be ashamed of.

Yet we sit at home watching the ABC news and tutting about decisions made in the US or UK in a very different environment. Take a bow Australia
Very well written. The post of the year so far.

MCD
ManillaChillaDilla is offline  
Old 21st Jul 2021, 05:13
  #6207 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not at work
Posts: 1,552
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Xeptu
Beautifully written! minigundiplomat. Politicians though are ordinary elected australians like us, unlike the the public service that's supposed to be qualified professionals executing the will of the people. It's clearly not what it used to be, all the good ones soaked up by the private sector and replaced by a bunch of new Australians, with level 4 English at best that the private sector wouldn't employ, they will become the next generation of senior public servants.
On a completely different note, China appears to be doing quite well with only 40 or so cases a day for the largest population in the world, extraordinary achievement don't you think.
Yep, bloody amazing. Check out FR24 over China right now - looks a bit healthier than Australia!
Transition Layer is offline  
Old 21st Jul 2021, 08:14
  #6208 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Australia/India
Posts: 5,028
Received 223 Likes on 125 Posts
So predictable.

Scotty hides behind the medical experts' advice on the question: "How do we battle Covid-19?", when the political heat ramps up due to the costs (the real costs) of acting on that advice.

The medical experts say - correctly - that it's always Scotty's job to make the decision whether to act on the advice. The medical experts aren't in a position to make the cost/benefit decision.

(And minigundiplomat: You're off with fairies. All of this is fantastic for Australia's economic numbers. That's why we should all be celebrating and encouraging further lockdowns and border closures.)
Lead Balloon is offline  
Old 21st Jul 2021, 08:23
  #6209 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Aus
Posts: 220
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is making commentary now primarily outside of Australia is the condition known as Long Covid. Up to ten body system can be affected producing heart attacks and brain abnormalities with no ability yet to treat these conditions. One professor from Bristol noted that following the 1918 Flu pandemic Parkinson disease rose significantly and that around half a million Brits may end up with Long Covid. He is particularly concerned for children as their brains are developing. I feel health specialists realise the highest priority must be to prevent people acquiring the disease so that not only is there less immediate strain on the health system, but a 'dormant' dilemma is not seeded within the post covid patient group.

In our country we're almost set up to fail. We basically build homes and holes (housing and mining). Politicians make believe using highly visible business activity to reassure the average voter they're safe, that they have a sense of future certainty. It gains the politician kudos. Without the 'busy-feel' and the associated media releases, Australian politician have nothing. That is their A game. I say never again buy the notion '......... keeping Australians safe.....' The truth is more like ......... ' ...... making Australians think they're safe........'.

My point is decades of spin, deception, scheming and individual failures has meant proper governing skills and the chance to develop those skills has been forfeited, lost forever. You never get a day back. We all let it happen mostly because we felt busy and safe.

Now the real game is on.

The Australian politicians' A game won't work anymore but that won't stop them trying it. Health professional such as epidemiologists are generally not heavy hitters.......... smart, intelligent and wise but up against a politician hell bent on busy = safe, I don't hold a lot of hope for sound leadership out of this turmoil. The last eighteen months would say there's good reason to be concerned.
Nulli Secundus is offline  
Old 21st Jul 2021, 08:25
  #6210 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: GMT
Age: 52
Posts: 2,030
Received 139 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Lead Balloon
So predictable.

Scotty hides behind the medical experts' advice on the question: "How do we battle Covid-19?", when the political heat ramps up due to the costs (the real costs) of acting on that advice.

The medical experts say - correctly - that it's always Scotty's job to make the decision whether to act on the advice. The medical experts aren't in a position to make the cost/benefit decision.

(And minigundiplomat: You're off with fairies. All of this is fantastic for Australia's economic numbers. That's why we should all be celebrating and encouraging further lockdowns and border closures.)
And happy to be so, however unpopular that position is. Iíve said all I have to say and wonít be posting anything further. But before I go, Iíll just pose a question.

Australia used to be THE global benchmark in courage, tenacity, resilience and innovation. When did we become fearful, silent and pearl clutching automons that acquiesce to anything and question nothing?
minigundiplomat is offline  
Old 21st Jul 2021, 08:29
  #6211 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Most locked down city in the world
Posts: 546
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Queen P about to jump for joy in half an hour. Let me guess, we will get a "This will put Brisbane on the map", comment. Hope the borders are open by then.
Turnleft080 is offline  
Old 21st Jul 2021, 08:34
  #6212 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oz
Posts: 1,843
Received 245 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Turnleft080
Queen P about to jump for joy in half an hour. Let me guess, we will get a "This will put Brisbane on the map", comment. Hope the borders are open by then.
She will probably still be there in 2032. Scotty not so sure.
PoppaJo is offline  
Old 21st Jul 2021, 08:44
  #6213 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: back to the land of small pay and big bills
Age: 49
Posts: 1,218
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long Covid afflicts almost exclusively those that previously suffered from hypochondria
mattyj is offline  
Old 21st Jul 2021, 09:06
  #6214 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cab of a Freight Train
Age: 40
Posts: 1,102
Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts
So now she has Queensland Olympics for Queenslander's to add to their Queensland Hospitals. Wonder if anyone south of the Tweed River will be allowed to attend?
KRviator is offline  
Old 21st Jul 2021, 09:15
  #6215 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: HKG
Posts: 399
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No surprise here. WA vaccination rates behind the rest of the country. At the end of the day many regions unaffected by COVID donít give a stuff about the rest of us copping it.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-...alia/100312320
Green.Dot is offline  
Old 21st Jul 2021, 10:02
  #6216 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Sydney
Posts: 574
Received 71 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by mattyj
Long Covid afflicts almost exclusively those that previously suffered from hypochondria
Got a source for that, champ?
Ladloy is online now  
Old 21st Jul 2021, 11:49
  #6217 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Most locked down city in the world
Posts: 546
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just been listing to 3aw and Dr Ross Walker (a Sydney doc) stated the original Wuhan strain was 5 times more deadly than this delta variant. The Delta variant is only 5 times
more spreadable, though not as deadly. Interesting, all the Chants, Youngs, Suttons declare it's a killer, more deadly than anything, a beast.
The 5 that have sadly passed in NSW were all unvaccinated. That is all your going to get, from NSW health. Any comorbidities, well your not to know.
Also mentioned, 2 of the ICU patients at the moment are Obese. He works in hospitals and I guess news gets around. Just shows governments want to brainwash our minds
with fear, and dower facts. However, slowly slowly bit by bit, little bits of news like this will bring out the truth. You might be able to get a podcast of this tomorrow 'Nights with Dennis Walter'.
Turnleft080 is offline  
Old 21st Jul 2021, 12:15
  #6218 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 500
Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Turnleft080
Just been listing to 3aw and Dr Ross Walker (a Sydney doc) stated the original Wuhan strain was 5 times more deadly than this delta variant. The Delta variant is only 5 times
more spreadable, though not as deadly. Interesting, all the Chants, Youngs, Suttons declare it's a killer, more deadly than anything, a beast.
The 5 that have sadly passed in NSW were all unvaccinated. That is all your going to get, from NSW health. Any comorbidities, well your not to know.
Also mentioned, 2 of the ICU patients at the moment are Obese. He works in hospitals and I guess news gets around. Just shows governments want to brainwash our minds
with fear, and dower facts. However, slowly slowly bit by bit, little bits of news like this will bring out the truth. You might be able to get a podcast of this tomorrow 'Nights with Dennis Walter'.
Nothing like selective quoting and drawing your own conclusions. Here's what you Dr Ross Walker really thinks about how well the government and the health minister, Greg Hunt, have done in combating covid. Slighly different to your take.

Interview with Dr Ross Walker, 2GB Healthy Living, on the COVID-19 vaccine roll out | Health Portfolio MinistersDR ROSS WALKER:

Greg, can I say, firstly, congratulations to you and your medical team for what you've done in the management of COVID. And I know there's been a few hiccups with the vaccine, but obviously the roll out's going to occur.

But also it's, in many ways, overshadowed the extraordinary achievements with all of the other things, you know, other aspects of medicine you've done. Some of the great drugs you've been able to get on through the PBS for people who otherwise has to pay so much money and couldn't afford it.

So really, I'm in awe of you as our Health Minister, and I hope you stay in the position for many years to come.
Cloudee is offline  
Old 21st Jul 2021, 12:18
  #6219 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Sunshine Coast
Posts: 977
Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Cloudee
Nothing like selective quoting and drawing your own conclusions. Here's what you Dr Ross Walker really thinks about how well the government and the health minister, Greg Hunt, have done in combating covid. Slighly different to your take.

Interview with Dr Ross Walker, 2GB Healthy Living, on the COVID-19 vaccine roll out | Health Portfolio MinistersDR ROSS WALKER:

Greg, can I say, firstly, congratulations to you and your medical team for what you've done in the management of COVID. And I know there's been a few hiccups with the vaccine, but obviously the roll out's going to occur.

But also it's, in many ways, overshadowed the extraordinary achievements with all of the other things, you know, other aspects of medicine you've done. Some of the great drugs you've been able to get on through the PBS for people who otherwise has to pay so much money and couldn't afford it.

So really, I'm in awe of you as our Health Minister, and I hope you stay in the position for many years to come.
That was back in April, wasn't it? Here's his most recent views on the current situation in Sydney. At 6:30 he acknowledges the extraordinary job that the NSW CMO has done to date, but goes on to disagree with her outdoor masking advice.

Last edited by MickG0105; 21st Jul 2021 at 12:28. Reason: Link to recent interview
MickG0105 is offline  
Old 21st Jul 2021, 12:18
  #6220 (permalink)  
601
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Age: 77
Posts: 1,427
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Queen P about to jump for joy in half an hour. Let me guess, we will get a "This will put Brisbane on the map", comment.
How times change.
Queen P gave an emphatic "no" to the idea of an Olympic bid when first raised by the SE Qld Mayors
601 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.