Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

All borders to reopen.

Old 27th May 2021, 08:23
  #4881 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sydney
Posts: 318
Originally Posted by ScepticalOptomist View Post
Vaccinate, Vaccinate, Vaccinate.

Its not that hard a concept, yet some people here in Oz are borderline simpletons.
which one.

because I hope you arenít talking about AstraZeneca. If so better have a stern word to the chook in Qld. She wants the Pfizer. So you canít blame the general populace if our dear leaders, well at least one and her health chief arenít prepared to get it.
Foxxster is online now  
Old 27th May 2021, 08:27
  #4882 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: SE QLD
Posts: 371
Originally Posted by Foxxster View Post
which one.

because I hope you arenít talking about AstraZeneca. If so better have a stern word to the chook in Qld. She wants the Pfizer. So you canít blame the general populace if our dear leaders, well at least one and her health chief arenít prepared to get it.
The chook and her chihuahua are simpletons. Anyone who reckons theyíre anything other than a couple of clowns also falls into the same category!
ScepticalOptomist is offline  
Old 27th May 2021, 08:35
  #4883 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cab of a Freight Train
Age: 38
Posts: 724
Originally Posted by ScepticalOptomist View Post
Vaccinate, Vaccinate, Vaccinate.

Its not that hard a concept, yet some people here in Oz are borderline simpletons.
Concept? No. But getting the vaccination if you want it? That appears to be the hard part...But who care's, the politicians still get their 15% superannuation & pensions and can work from home...
KRviator is online now  
Old 27th May 2021, 09:09
  #4884 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 282
Originally Posted by ScepticalOptomist View Post
The chook and her chihuahua are simpletons. Anyone who reckons theyíre anything other than a couple of clowns also falls into the same category!
Correct. They donít understand science nor statistics. Vaccination IS the only way out. Otherwise you are just pissing into the wind. Sorry Ladies.
Troo believer is offline  
Old 27th May 2021, 10:21
  #4885 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Perth
Posts: 206
Originally Posted by Troo believer View Post
Correct. They donít understand science nor statistics. Vaccination IS the only way out. Otherwise you are just pissing into the wind. Sorry Ladies.
While i completely agree, news out of the UK shows 1 in 10 in hospital with covid have been fully vaccinated. "The data that we have is that in the hotspot areas around one in 10 of those in hospital are people who have had both jabs. "The fact that 90% are people who have not yet been double vaccinated gives us a high degree of confidence that the vaccine is highly effective but it also shows - the fact there's 10% who have been double vaccinated - that it isn't 100% effective."
We will need to accept a number of deaths, while this will be no different to other diseases it will be a difficult sell for the government when unlike the rest of the world we are not used to it. Don't expect to open the border until after the election.
jrfsp is offline  
Old 27th May 2021, 10:30
  #4886 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Australia
Posts: 68
Originally Posted by jrfsp View Post
While i completely agree, news out of the UK shows 1 in 10 in hospital with covid have been fully vaccinated. "The data that we have is that in the hotspot areas around one in 10 of those in hospital are people who have had both jabs. "The fact that 90% are people who have not yet been double vaccinated gives us a high degree of confidence that the vaccine is highly effective but it also shows - the fact there's 10% who have been double vaccinated - that it isn't 100% effective."
We will need to accept a number of deaths, while this will be no different to other diseases it will be a difficult sell for the government when unlike the rest of the world we are not used to it. Don't expect to open the border until after the election.
Got a reference for that?
Tucknroll is offline  
Old 27th May 2021, 10:47
  #4887 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: kennel
Posts: 1
You need to be thinking statistics.

1. You get ill if your body is infected with say 10,000,000 virus particles and your immune system can only neutralise 99,999,999 of them before your cells make another 10,000,000. You get better if your body can destroy virus particles faster than they can be made. If its the reverse, you die. Think something like Spitfire production vs ME109 to get the idea.

2. What a vaccine does is give your immune system a head start in battle#1.

3. A pandemic is a similar statistical exercise you need R0 to go to less than one to beat it. Anything that reduces the infection rate helps, vaccines, lockdowns etc.

Which brings up JRFSp's comment. It doesn't matter if a vaccine is only "90%" protective o an individual. What matters is getting R0 less than one. The vaccine doesnt have to be 100 percent effective to end the pandemic.
dysslexicgod is offline  
Old 27th May 2021, 10:49
  #4888 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Perth
Posts: 206
Originally Posted by Tucknroll View Post
Got a reference for that?
Sure: https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-572...ost_type=share
jrfsp is offline  
Old 27th May 2021, 11:06
  #4889 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: 500 miles from Chaikhosi, Yogistan
Posts: 3,911
Wow. Quoting a conservative MP’s claims made in the House of Commons as a basis of fact. Impressive.

Serious studies suggest otherwise.
compressor stall is offline  
Old 27th May 2021, 11:14
  #4890 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sydney
Posts: 318
Originally Posted by jrfsp View Post
While i completely agree, news out of the UK shows 1 in 10 in hospital with covid have been fully vaccinated. "The data that we have is that in the hotspot areas around one in 10 of those in hospital are people who have had both jabs. "The fact that 90% are people who have not yet been double vaccinated gives us a high degree of confidence that the vaccine is highly effective but it also shows - the fact there's 10% who have been double vaccinated - that it isn't 100% effective."
We will need to accept a number of deaths, while this will be no different to other diseases it will be a difficult sell for the government when unlike the rest of the world we are not used to it. Don't expect to open the border until after the election.

well thatís perhaps worse than expected. Or is it, canít think at the moment.

stats are 57.6% have one vaccine
35.4% have had both

so that 10% of admissions relates only to the 35.4% which leaves 57.6% - 35.4% = 22.2% with only one shot. One shot is significantly less effective than two.

so there must be another 10% or so of admissions of people who have had only one of the two shots.

I would have thought with over a third of the population fully vaccinated and we were all told these were 90% + effective that there would be a lot less than 10% of total hospital admissions from this group. Sounds like these vaccines are not anywhere near as effective as first thought as being admitted to hospital clearly indicates a serious condition which is what the vaccines were meant to stop.

Foxxster is online now  
Old 27th May 2021, 11:24
  #4891 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sydney
Posts: 318
Not sure where he was getting the 10% figure from. I sure hope it is inaccurate.
which it appears to be.

The study analysed a quarter of all hospital patients in England, Scotland and Wales between early December and early April, and is one of the first to look at the impact of vaccinations on the numbers of people subsequently admitted to hospital with Covid-19.

It suggests that around 1% of hospital admissions between December and April were of people with Covid who had already had one vaccine dose.

The study found higher numbers of Covid hospital admissions around the time of vaccination and soon after, before the jab had started to work. Admissions then tailed off as protection from the vaccine built up.
Foxxster is online now  
Old 27th May 2021, 11:32
  #4892 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 282
Yes they’re are effective against DEATH or severe COVID. Some hospitalisations are inevitable. No two humans are the same. There is no silver bullet. Just because you’re in hospital doesn’t mean it’s necessarily severe disease. Depends on the state’s relevant policy. Qld I believe will admit you if you are COVID positive but I’m not 100% sure on that. Each state or country has varying requirements for admission.

From the CDC
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7018e1.htm
“In a multistate network of U.S. hospitals during January–March 2021, receipt of Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna COVID-19 vaccines was 94% effective against COVID-19 hospitalization among fully vaccinated adults and 64% effective among partially vaccinated adults aged ≥65 years.”
Troo believer is offline  
Old 27th May 2021, 11:33
  #4893 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: In a pipe in the upstairs water closet
Posts: 283

Source: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare

So... that would make from a country's population of 66.7 million what... 95 people? 95 out of 66.7 million in hospital with covid who have been vaccinated. I'm sure the NHS can handle that amount. Not to mention that we don't know whether those people had been fully vaccinated. As in two doses, and at least three weeks after the last dose. If they hadn't - NEWSFLASH "Man with holes in umbrella gets wet when it rains".

But then, the PM needs to actually get a cohesive vaccination program sorted, but that seems rather illusive for a failed advertising executive. If you think SloMo is really acting in the country's best interest, you're gravely mistaken. Just wait until after the election, the so-called 'medical advice' will miraculously change to be in favour of opening the borders.

Fuel-Off
Fuel-Off is offline  
Old 27th May 2021, 21:43
  #4894 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 541
Originally Posted by Fuel-Off View Post

Source: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare

So... that would make from a country's population of 66.7 million what... 95 people? 95 out of 66.7 million in hospital with covid who have been vaccinated. I'm sure the NHS can handle that amount. Not to mention that we don't know whether those people had been fully vaccinated. As in two doses, and at least three weeks after the last dose. If they hadn't - NEWSFLASH "Man with holes in umbrella gets wet when it rains".

But then, the PM needs to actually get a cohesive vaccination program sorted, but that seems rather illusive for a failed advertising executive. If you think SloMo is really acting in the country's best interest, you're gravely mistaken. Just wait until after the election, the so-called 'medical advice' will miraculously change to be in favour of opening the borders.

Fuel-Off
As far as i am aware if someone who has been vaccinated does get the virus their symptoms will me a lot less than non vaccinated & the risk of dying almost eliminated.
So what you say in your 1st paragraph backs that up i think.
The pm has done nothing to have a robust vaccination program in place,as you allude to he is in no way acting in the country's best interest.
Instead of embarrasing himself doing a photo shoot hanging out of an aircraft window he needs to take control of the mess he is presiding over.
Interesting how quiet he has been the last couple of days,wonder why that could be.
blubak is offline  
Old 27th May 2021, 22:11
  #4895 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sydney
Posts: 318
Perhaps we should be sending some of these to Victorians to enjoy during their lockdown.

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B00A2HD40E

Foxxster is online now  
Old 28th May 2021, 02:47
  #4896 (permalink)  
CFD
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: uk
Posts: 51
"news out of the UK shows 1 in 10 in hospital with covid have been fully vaccinated"
Well there are statistics and statistics. The UK prioritised vaccinations as in Australia by priority groups. My guess would be some of the hospitalisations may well have nothing to do with covid but more the underlying health condition and they just happen to have covid.
Latest data shows 65-90% reduction in symptomatic disease, 75-95% reduction in hospitilisation, 95-99% reduction in mortality after 2 doses and depending on vaccine type.
Source: COVID-19 vaccine surveillance report - week 21 (publishing.service.gov.uk)
CFD is offline  
Old 28th May 2021, 03:42
  #4897 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oz
Posts: 278
A few people here are mis-understanding the area of complex medicine and complex medicl conditions.
I have had in my family all my life with complex medical conditions so I have spent lots and lots of time in hospital waiting rooms.
Firstly, many people don;t understand the notion of "effectivness". I'll post a video that shows it's almost a random rumber based on a single study. It often has no relation to the numbers generated after say 5 years of use.

I have read the reprt from the NHS twice and can't find the refference to the 1in10 in hospital who have been vacinated.
However, it could be true, but for a different reason. A vaccination does not stop you getting the virus (as believed by lots lf people in the community), but for people with complex medical conditions who are fully vaccinated, getting covid (or influenza or dozens of other viruses) can cause a cascade of other problems which puts them in hospital. Their immune system may be combating Covid quite successfully, but due to the fragility of their other systems you ger a rapidly cascading set of other sytem problems. I suspect this is the case in the NHS numbers but will have to wait a few years for a full study to be be published.

I have a step-daugter in this position - she has been sent to hospital by helicopter 7 times through her life for this exact reason.

Guptar is offline  
Old 28th May 2021, 05:31
  #4898 (permalink)  
CFD
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: uk
Posts: 51
Apologies Guptar.
My post was in reply to the statement news out of the UK shows 1 in 10 in hospital with covid have been fully vaccinated that someone else posted. I then made the point about other health conditions as you have. The NHS report that I quoted was just to make the point about the correct numbers if one had both doses of a vaccine.... it was not to back up the assertion of 10% of admissions have covid. That may or may not be true, I do not know. I was just referencing my source for those numbers.
CFD is offline  
Old 28th May 2021, 09:23
  #4899 (permalink)  
short flights long nights
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 3,371
SA now closed to all of Victoria.
SOPS is online now  
Old 28th May 2021, 21:32
  #4900 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 282


Troo believer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.