Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

All borders to reopen.

Old 8th May 2021, 05:33
  #4661 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: SE Australia
Posts: 110
"Six overseas travellers who reported they were fully vaccinated have tested positive for COVID-19 while in hotel quarantine, authorities have revealed.

The numbers were released in this week’s NSW Health COVID-19 surveillance report as the federal government pushes forward with its vaccine passport plans.

The report states six people in the NSW hotel quarantine system tested positive over four weeks ending on May 1, despite reporting they were vaccinated prior to landing in Australia."

Make of that what you will.
SRFred is offline  
Old 8th May 2021, 05:39
  #4662 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 626
Originally Posted by SRFred View Post
Make of that what you will.
What I make of that is that the media is more interested in clickbait than objective reporting.
ruprecht is offline  
Old 8th May 2021, 05:43
  #4663 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: SE QLD
Posts: 408
Originally Posted by ruprecht View Post
What I make of that is that the media is more interested in clickbait than objective reporting.
Precisely - there was lots of fluff and no facts in the article!
ScepticalOptomist is offline  
Old 8th May 2021, 05:48
  #4664 (permalink)  
short flights long nights
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 3,445
Just because you are vaccinated, does not mean you can’t catch COVID. It just means you won’t get really sick. It seems to have crept into peoples thinking that if your vaccinated, you can’t catch COVID.
SOPS is offline  
Old 8th May 2021, 05:55
  #4665 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: SE QLD
Posts: 408
Originally Posted by SOPS View Post
Just because you are vaccinated, does not mean you can’t catch COVID. It just means you won’t get really sick. It seems to have crept into peoples thinking that if your vaccinated, you can’t catch COVID.
True. Though there does seem to be growing data sets indicating that CV may not be transmissible if you are vaccinated. Time will tell how that goes.

What the article should have highlighted was that it seems those infected and vaccinated were symptom free. CV isn’t scary if it does nothing to you. The takeaway should have been - get vaccinated.
ScepticalOptomist is offline  
Old 8th May 2021, 06:37
  #4666 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 833
Originally Posted by Foxxster View Post
surely if you decide to holiday in Australia, you would still be at the mercy of our quarantine laws regardless of whether you are vaccinated or not. Which would mean two weeks isolation on arrival. Which I would think might dampen anyone’s or most people’s plans. Especially as you have to pay for it, somewhere around 1,800 squid for an individual.
As mentioned before, it should be me in December 2021 doing exactly this. I am resigned to it not happening now. I was actually being sarcastic about how wonderful it is to have a country on our safe to travel list that isn't allowing visitors!

On the vaccine, it is believe transmission is reduced by up to 50% with a vaccine. There is less and less Covid 'in the system' meaning it will be increasingly difficult for someone to find it.
Dannyboy39 is offline  
Old 8th May 2021, 07:20
  #4667 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sydney
Posts: 387
Originally Posted by SRFred View Post
"Six overseas travellers who reported they were fully vaccinated have tested positive for COVID-19 while in hotel quarantine, authorities have revealed.

The numbers were released in this week’s NSW Health COVID-19 surveillance report as the federal government pushes forward with its vaccine passport plans.

The report states six people in the NSW hotel quarantine system tested positive over four weeks ending on May 1, despite reporting they were vaccinated prior to landing in Australia."

Make of that what you will.
yes it could be clickbait or it could be people from a certain country that is going through a massive number of cases every day and are not averse to producing counterfeit documents.

https://qz.com/india/1993757/indians-are-using-fake-covid-19-results-to-travel-skip-exams/

https://www.refworld.org/docid/538c369f4.html

Last edited by Foxxster; 8th May 2021 at 07:34.
Foxxster is offline  
Old 8th May 2021, 07:42
  #4668 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 282
The vaccine will only save you from getting really sick if you catch COvid not so much from transmitting it. Although look at the Seychelles who are pretty much all vaccinated with vaccine from their North Asian benefactor. Apparently it isn't very effective and there is another wave starting there.
coaldemon is offline  
Old 8th May 2021, 12:15
  #4669 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: I prefer to remain north of a direct line BNE-ADL
Age: 46
Posts: 1,198
Well if there is wave that won’t make you sick what’s the problem?
Angle of Attack is offline  
Old 8th May 2021, 13:19
  #4670 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 1,435
Originally Posted by coaldemon View Post
The vaccine will only save you from getting really sick if you catch COvid not so much from transmitting it. Although look at the Seychelles who are pretty much all vaccinated with vaccine from their North Asian benefactor. Apparently it isn't very effective and there is another wave starting there.
This is from the leading newspaper of the Seychelles:

The cases we received recently are mostly close contacts and the majority of them are without symptom or with mild symptoms.
So the vaccine is working as intended. It protects against severe illness and hospitalisation. There’s an amount of spread because the island re-opened a few months ago (they’re heavily reliant on tourism).



dr dre is offline  
Old 8th May 2021, 23:23
  #4671 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Asia Pacific
Age: 50
Posts: 1,951
So the vaccine is working as intended. It protects against severe illness and hospitalisation. There’s an amount of spread because the island re-opened a few months ago (they’re heavily reliant on tourism)

Nobody is allowed to get sick from now on, you should know that.
minigundiplomat is offline  
Old 9th May 2021, 00:14
  #4672 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 283
Originally Posted by minigundiplomat View Post
So the vaccine is working as intended. It protects against severe illness and hospitalisation. There’s an amount of spread because the island re-opened a few months ago (they’re heavily reliant on tourism)

Nobody is allowed to get sick from now on, you should know that.
Yes it seems that most of the general population are woefully ignorant and too lazy to educate themselves enough to have a modicum of understanding with regards to viruses and vaccines.

Millions of virus particles pass through our bodies everyday. A bucket of sea water near the coast line contains more virus particles than people on this planet. Some viruses are actually good and help us function whilst others not so good. Nothing in life is guaranteed and yet the numbty public are happy to consign responsibility for their own life and wellbeing over to the government whom will manipulate health propaganda in the most cynical fashion in order to ensure power remains within the LNP and or Labor Party. Look at WA.

We desperately need a Bill of Rights in this country. The abuse of power is obvious. The India fiasco and the threat of fining citizens trying to get home by the federal government is a national disgrace. Rather than lead they react. Poll driven selling a narrative that doesn’t pass any science. Just abysmal behaviour from the leadership that can’t commit to any timeline or cohesive policy on how we get out of this mess. We desperately need a strong leader to steer us out of this swamp. Could you imagine this sort of paralysis during a war? I no longer have faith or respect for Australia.
We suffer en masse from CLS. Chicken Little Syndrome.
Ah, that feels better.😀
Troo believer is offline  
Old 9th May 2021, 00:20
  #4673 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: The great country of QLD
Posts: 17
What I don't understand is the number of deaths in the Seychelles is essentially 0, so why the lockdown? Are their hospitals overrun? Or is it is the global obsession with case numbers? To me it seems like the vaccine is working if no one is dying/clogging up the hospitals
Cirressna is offline  
Old 9th May 2021, 04:15
  #4674 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Dubai - sand land.
Age: 52
Posts: 2,786
Originally Posted by coaldemon
The vaccine will only save you from getting really sick if you catch COvid not so much from transmitting it.
It does cut transmission drastically; if you yourself aren't as ill with the virus (having been vaccinated) then there are far fewer viral particles in your upper airway, hence far less to cough and sneeze out, hence reducing the transmission. So I'm led to believe... Makes sense though!
White Knight is offline  
Old 9th May 2021, 06:21
  #4675 (permalink)  
QFF
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: , Location, Location
Posts: 153
The treasurer says today that the international border won't open till 2022 and that it's important that we "follow the medical advice". What is this "medical advice" that everyone seems to be following these days? "Medical advice" seems to cover a multitude of sins - from jailing returning citizens, locking down states and closing borders. Show us the evidence! What is happening in 2022 that renders it safe to open borders then? Why 2022 and not 2023/2024/never?

PM says elimination is not the goal and that borders will reopen when "it is safe to do so". What, like CASA's definition of safety - when zero planes are in the air, when there are zero cases of COVID...?

I suspect the safest thing to do is to have everyone vaccinated, but the govt seems to have shot themselves in the foot on that too - besides botching the rollout, now with minimal/no cases in the community, the side effects of the vaccine are more lethal than COVID and people feel there is no urgency/need to be vaccinated. After all, we're all right, Jack.

I'd love to know what the govt's definition of "safe" is, and how they expect to achieve that in 2022.
QFF is offline  
Old 9th May 2021, 06:41
  #4676 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 626
Originally Posted by QFF View Post
What is happening in 2022 that renders it safe to open borders then?
A federal election.
ruprecht is offline  
Old 9th May 2021, 06:50
  #4677 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 123
Originally Posted by QFF View Post
I suspect the safest thing to do is to have everyone vaccinated, but the govt seems to have shot themselves in the foot on that too - besides botching the rollout, now with minimal/no cases in the community, the side effects of the vaccine are more lethal than COVID and people feel there is no urgency/need to be vaccinated. After all, we're all right, Jack.
This is the exact issue... my elderly parents (well >50+) are both in reasonable health but refusing to get vaccinated due to fear of blood clots. But apart from the fact that two of their children have been heavily impacted by the pandemic, their lives in the past 6 months, not so much. Mind you, they are also feeling "safe" in QLD. With no covid circulating in the community they aren't afraid and therefore not willing to take the vaccine "risk".
Its a dilemma - both have had the flu shot this year and would not accept being called an anti-vaxxer. I'm now grateful to be fully vaccinated, but I fear for the industry that this kind of mindset is developing in the older population, let alone the younger ones!
lc_461 is offline  
Old 9th May 2021, 06:50
  #4678 (permalink)  
QFF
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: , Location, Location
Posts: 153
Originally Posted by ruprecht View Post
A federal election.
Would that take place on medical advice, too?
QFF is offline  
Old 9th May 2021, 06:55
  #4679 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 1,435
Originally Posted by Cirressna View Post
What I don't understand is the number of deaths in the Seychelles is essentially 0, so why the lockdown? Are their hospitals overrun? Or is it is the global obsession with case numbers? To me it seems like the vaccine is working if no one is dying/clogging up the hospitals
I can’t tell. Not really much news coming out of the Seychelles. But they aren’t really instituting a lockdown. Masks compulsory, large gatherings banned, schools closed for two weeks. But inbound tourism is still encouraged, and restaurants and bars open with shorter hours.
dr dre is offline  
Old 9th May 2021, 06:58
  #4680 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Lagrangian point 2
Posts: 235
Originally Posted by QFF View Post
The treasurer says today that the international border won't open till 2022 and that it's important that we "follow the medical advice". What is this "medical advice" that everyone seems to be following these days? "Medical advice" seems to cover a multitude of sins - from jailing returning citizens, locking down states and closing borders. Show us the evidence! What is happening in 2022 that renders it safe to open borders then? Why 2022 and not 2023/2024/never?

PM says elimination is not the goal and that borders will reopen when "it is safe to do so". What, like CASA's definition of safety - when zero planes are in the air, when there are zero cases of COVID...?

I suspect the safest thing to do is to have everyone vaccinated, but the govt seems to have shot themselves in the foot on that too - besides botching the rollout, now with minimal/no cases in the community, the side effects of the vaccine are more lethal than COVID and people feel there is no urgency/need to be vaccinated. After all, we're all right, Jack.

I'd love to know what the govt's definition of "safe" is, and how they expect to achieve that in 2022.


I’ve said it earlier and I’ll say it again, Liberal or Labor, ‘Safe’ means ‘electorally’ safe... that is, they aren’t risking next years election to give people their freedoms back.

Once that election is won, it’ll then mysteriously become ‘safe’ for travelers from certain countries/regions, and the vaccinations will be heralded as an unmitigated success to allow for those bubbles and relaxed quarantine requirements... (look at the US relaxing their travel requirements) .


https://www.smh.com.au/business/bank...07-p57q0r.html

...the big business string pullers are already demanding the floodgates open and they do NOT want to pay the wages required to attract the talent, nor provide any costly training to us expensive locals as would have to occur if our borders were to remain closed (they aren’t even attempting to hide this fact). They want the taps for low-wage ‘skilled’ migration turned back on ASAP.

Hard Borders will have to start to loosen because the federal government ain’t getting on with building the quarantine facilities required to funnel masses of people back in. They’ll need the hotel quarantine spots currently used for Australians returning from Europe, the US etc, so that NAB and the like can get their accounting and IT graduates from the subcontinent, and restaurants to get their chefs from the Philippines, etc, etc...

SO, all of a sudden bubbles for the vaccinated become acceptable from Singapore, Europe, the UK the US etc where vaccination rates are high, home quarantine perhaps acceptable from others, reduced quarantine from others... so as not to have those people using up hotel quarantine spots for those other areas that may need 14 days... and on it goes.

The migration Ponzi is far too engrained for us to remain a closed shop for long, but our livelihoods will continue to be sacrificed until the election has been run and done because both major parties have seen just how potent that is with the average voter.
ExtraShot is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.