Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Time for a reality Check

Old 5th Jun 2020, 23:31
  #381 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 151
Originally Posted by mostlytossas View Post
Wow I didn't know it was just political? Hears me thinking the reason Aust and NZ has amongst the lowest death and case rate in the world on a per capita basis was because we locked down early and hard. But no. Apparently according to some pilots it was here all along or ,a political stunt. We must have the smartest pollies in the world to see this then and to hoodwink 25 million of us, except pilots ofcourse. They were on it all along.Could it not be that the reason we have had so much success saving lives is for once the pollies have done what the medical experts suggested they do and not what is vote winning popular actions? Let the pilots run things that will fix it. While they are at it come up with a vaccine will you and save the planet from a host of other things like global poverty, warming, inequality etc. Thanks in advance.
no pal. Initially it was about health, and was the reason we faired so well. No disputing that.

however, there comes a point where the health risks need to be balanced with the economic risk. The federal govt and health minister has now decided that time has come. Yet two dictators, who are up for re election, cannot be seen to ‘give in’. So now it is political. Or are you another one of these tossers who thinks the whole country should remain in lockdown until there are no cases. Better tell all those expats waiting to get home that they are no longer welcome In their own country.

Btw..seen what the actual experts think about ‘eradication’? Thought not.
cloudsurfng is offline  
Old 5th Jun 2020, 23:33
  #382 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: adelaide, Australia
Posts: 468
News out today....the UK IS the first country behind the USA to record 40000 corona virus deaths. Both these countries treated it as a joke early on with plans for herd immunity. They are now paying the price of that early policy. And some of you want to join them! That is more than stupid.
mostlytossas is offline  
Old 5th Jun 2020, 23:38
  #383 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 209
Originally Posted by mostlytossas View Post
Wow I didn't know it was just political? Hears me thinking the reason Aust and NZ has amongst the lowest death and case rate in the world on a per capita basis was because we locked down early and hard. But no. Apparently according to some pilots it was here all along or ,a political stunt. We must have the smartest pollies in the world to see this then and to hoodwink 25 million of us, except pilots ofcourse. They were on it all along.Could it not be that the reason we have had so much success saving lives is for once the pollies have done what the medical experts suggested they do and not what is vote winning popular actions? Let the pilots run things that will fix it. While they are at it come up with a vaccine will you and save the planet from a host of other things like global poverty, warming, inequality etc. Thanks in advance.
So when did the federal CMO advocate border closures? Never did. Explain the logic whereby a Queenslander can drive across the border into NSW and then return without any restrictions yet a person from NSW can’t travel into QLD unless for some specific reasons.
There currently are no declared hotspots in NSW yet the restrictions remain in place. WHY Tossa?
https://www.qld.gov.au/health/conditions/health-alerts/coronavirus-covid-19/current-status/hotspots-covid-19
https://www.health.qld.gov.au/system-governance/legislation/cho-public-health-directions-under-expanded-public-health-act-powers/restricted-access-to-designated-areas-direction
Troo believer is offline  
Old 5th Jun 2020, 23:41
  #384 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: adelaide, Australia
Posts: 468
I have no problem lifting travel restrictions between some states as I previously posted. But Sydney and Melbourne are still problem areas. If they continued the lock down around port Philip bay and from Gosford to Wollongong the rest of Australia could go back to normal ops IMHO. Unfortunately that is half the population of the country and would be uneconomic for airlines to operate without including them.
mostlytossas is offline  
Old 5th Jun 2020, 23:43
  #385 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 151
Originally Posted by mostlytossas View Post
News out today....the UK IS the first country behind the USA to record 40000 corona virus deaths. Both these countries treated it as a joke early on with plans for herd immunity. They are now paying the price of that early policy. And some of you want to join them! That is more than stupid.
No one is advocating herd immunity. The idea was to minimise the risk, control
the cases And allow our health system to be prepared. The experts say we are there. You say we want to join the UK and US, that’s extreme. A bit like me saying you are advocating for a system like commie China. Control the masses every move, she’ll be right.
cloudsurfng is offline  
Old 5th Jun 2020, 23:48
  #386 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Somewhere beyond the sea!
Posts: 41
Cos you have people like Annastacia Pinochet and dictator Dan with their own political agendas ruining their state's economies and they don't give a damn about the people they allegedly represent.
And I so advise!
Lb.
Liklik balus is online now  
Old 5th Jun 2020, 23:52
  #387 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: adelaide, Australia
Posts: 468
Case in point why restrictions should remain for a while yet. Woman fly' s into Melbourne from UK on compassionate grounds to visit dying father in Adelaide where there has not been a case for 4 weeks. She is held for 5 days in Melbourne in quarantine then allowed to travel onto Adelaide. Turns up tested positive with the virus. This happened lsst week. I live in Adelaide. We don't want a repeat of that. Melbourne get your act together before the border is opened. Same for Sydney.
mostlytossas is offline  
Old 5th Jun 2020, 23:57
  #388 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 151
So I agree that she should have been quarantined longer. No doubt. Not advocating for the removal of those measures at all, and that is a failure by chairman Dan.

however, there are no hotspots in Nsw. Cases have been returned travellers. Testing is increasing most days.

perhaps we can change the procedure. Repatriate everyone to Adelaide Perth and Brisbane. Then your cases will increase and NSW and VIC will decrease. Maybe we can lock you out then?

cloudsurfng is offline  
Old 6th Jun 2020, 00:19
  #389 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 382
Originally Posted by cloudsurfng View Post
So I agree that she should have been quarantined longer. No doubt. Not advocating for the removal of those measures at all, and that is a failure by chairman Dan.

however, there are no hotspots in Nsw. Cases have been returned travellers. Testing is increasing most days.

perhaps we can change the procedure. Repatriate everyone to Adelaide Perth and Brisbane. Then your cases will increase and NSW and VIC will decrease. Maybe we can lock you out then?
For over a week the only new cases in NSW are from returned travelers in hotel quarantine, as are most of VICs cases. Just today Victoria have announced 0 new cases, for the first time in how knows long.

If things keep trending in this direction I can’t see any reason why state borders can’t be opened in July.
ECAMACTIONSCOMPLETE is offline  
Old 6th Jun 2020, 00:22
  #390 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: adelaide, Australia
Posts: 468
Adelaide and Perth do have repatriation flights arrive. These are not the problem as they are all met by buses and sent straight into 14 days lockdown in hotels and tested before release all paid for by the taxpayer. The problem is the unannounced arrivals across the border who are positive. This would increase dramatically if the borders were open especially NSW or VIC where we hear of a school having a case one day or a meatworks ,nursing home etc. I repeat GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER before the border is opened. Other states however who have, not a problem in my view.
mostlytossas is offline  
Old 6th Jun 2020, 00:28
  #391 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 382
Originally Posted by mostlytossas View Post
Adelaide and Perth do have repatriation flights arrive. These are not the problem as they are all met by buses and sent straight into 14 days lockdown in hotels and tested before release all paid for by the taxpayer. The problem is the unannounced arrivals across the border who are positive. This would increase dramatically if the borders were open especially NSW or VIC where we hear of a school having a case one day or a meatworks ,nursing home etc. I repeat GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER before the border is opened. Other states however who have, not a problem in my view.
What would your definition of ‘get your act together be?

If VIC and NSW can report 0 community transmission for the rest of June would you be happy to open up? (Admittedly less likely in Vic, but hypothetically speaking)

I’m interested to hear the opinion of people from other states.
ECAMACTIONSCOMPLETE is offline  
Old 6th Jun 2020, 00:32
  #392 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: adelaide, Australia
Posts: 468
By the way yes, July could be ok to open borders if the trend continues. My issue is with those that want them open NOW! I would also be happy for a bubble of SA,NT,WA to open now as there has been no cases to speak of for weeks and easy to cross into without going near the Sydney,Melbourne hubs.
mostlytossas is offline  
Old 6th Jun 2020, 00:38
  #393 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 382
Originally Posted by mostlytossas View Post
By the way yes, July could be ok to open borders if the trend continues. My issue is with those that want them open NOW! I would also be happy for a bubble of SA,NT,WA to open now as there has been no cases to speak of for weeks and easy to cross into without going near the Sydney,Melbourne hubs.
Fair call!

Putting my aviation/Victorian bias aside, I can see why residents of successful states would be cautious about opening their borders to us.
ECAMACTIONSCOMPLETE is offline  
Old 6th Jun 2020, 00:40
  #394 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Peninsula
Posts: 188
The problem is the unannounced arrivals across the border who are positive. This would increase dramatically if the borders were open
Hysterical garbage. Where's the evidence?
Bodie1 is offline  
Old 6th Jun 2020, 00:45
  #395 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Dark Side
Posts: 64
This might all be academic after today's "black lives matter" marches/protests in various cities. I sincerely hope I'm wrong but this could turn into a major cluster f..k and set everything back by months.

There is no way people can maintain social distancing in these situations.

Fly safe and play hard

Regards Hoss

Last edited by hoss58; 6th Jun 2020 at 01:01.
hoss58 is offline  
Old 6th Jun 2020, 00:48
  #396 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,025
Originally Posted by layman View Post
IBE8720

You wrote:
“Mortality rates around the World are generally stable at yearly averages.”

Are you able to provide a source to support this?
Probably not this -

https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid
currawong is offline  
Old 6th Jun 2020, 00:51
  #397 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: adelaide, Australia
Posts: 468
The two dictators you state that have closed their borders for political reasons and face an election I assume you mean Qld and WA ? So how do you explain SA,Tas.and NT who also have closed their borders?
Could it be they have under control the infection rate and don't want to risk an increase by allowing outsiders in just yet?
mostlytossas is offline  
Old 6th Jun 2020, 00:55
  #398 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: adelaide, Australia
Posts: 468
Originally Posted by Bodie1 View Post

Hysterical garbage. Where's the evidence?


Read my post 388
mostlytossas is offline  
Old 6th Jun 2020, 01:12
  #399 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,025
Originally Posted by Bodie1 View Post

Hysterical garbage. Where's the evidence?


I cannot provide evidence but can relate an incident that happened in the small border town where I live in QLD.

Two foreign backpackers, fresh from Sydney were able to cross the border undocumented with the help of an obliging truck driver.

Their first port of call looking for work, due of their skill set, was the local retirement home.

Worst case scenario stuff. No isolation or testing, just rock up to the premises.

The system allows for people to travel interstate and work, subject to conditions.





currawong is offline  
Old 6th Jun 2020, 01:15
  #400 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: nowhere
Posts: 56
Originally Posted by mostlytossas View Post

Read my post 388
Why are you wasting your time on these people? It's a beautiful day outside and the birds are chirping. Go outside and enjoy it rather than arguing with a bunch of people who have no idea what they are talking about. If you want to have an intelligent debate you should do it with a medical expert not someone who holds a ATPL.

Edit: being more polite
directimped is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.