Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

SKYTRANS - Cairns - new management team

Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

SKYTRANS - Cairns - new management team

Old 22nd Jan 2020, 22:54
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Port Moresby - The beer is cold at the Aviat and Car Clubs
Posts: 200
SKYTRANS - Cairns - new management team

Reported in today's Cairns Post is an article relating to Skytran's and their management team.
(article behind a paywall)
Mumbai Merlin is offline  
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 01:36
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Brisbane
Age: 55
Posts: 93
Executive summary thanks to google "The airline company has appointed qualified pilot and former Virgin Blue and LifeFlight operations boss Tim Healee as the new group chief"
markis10 is offline  
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 06:23
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Zealand
Age: 68
Posts: 267
Are TCAS, Sargent Shultz Smith and the not-so-Wildís part of the new team? Great aircraft to fly if you like low wages and vintage aircraft.
Paragraph377 is offline  
Old 28th Aug 2021, 00:29
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 60
Word on the street is Skytrans have made some operations staff redundant, citing cash flow issues. I wonder if they will still go ahead with their CS-PN-RK service?
CAVOK92 is offline  
Old 28th Aug 2021, 00:58
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canberra
Posts: 93
Originally Posted by CAVOK92 View Post
Word on the street is Skytrans have made some operations staff redundant, citing cash flow issues. I wonder if they will still go ahead with their CS-PN-RK service?
Underwritten by the airports and QLD Government. Will make money for them without pax. As Kerry said ďyou only get one Alan BondĒ.
Pavement is offline  
Old 28th Aug 2021, 01:10
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 60
Hadnít heard the service was underwritten. I was under the impression it was an attempt at the leisure market.
CAVOK92 is offline  
Old 28th Aug 2021, 07:46
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 3rd rock from the sun
Posts: 1,895
Of course everyone commenting on here must be able to do better and knows the financials and everything of the company
morno is online now  
Old 30th Aug 2021, 00:44
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Asia Pacific
Age: 50
Posts: 1,951
Rather confused by the title of this thread as Skytrans seem to have a new management team every week. The former CEO managed to assemble and retain a reasonable team, but they all seem to have left since the former CEO of Air Niugini arrived.
minigundiplomat is offline  
Old 3rd Sep 2021, 12:52
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Darwin and PNG
Age: 50
Posts: 1,170
Originally Posted by minigundiplomat View Post
Rather confused by the title of this thread as Skytrans seem to have a new management team every week. The former CEO managed to assemble and retain a reasonable team, but they all seem to have left since the former CEO of Air Niugini arrived.
Former Air Niugini CEO? Elaborate further with who that person is.
Duck Pilot is offline  
Old 3rd Sep 2021, 21:54
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Asia Pacific
Age: 50
Posts: 1,951
Originally Posted by Duck Pilot View Post
Former Air Niugini CEO? Elaborate further with who that person is.
I believe they have a website. Canít miss him, he loves the mediaÖ..
minigundiplomat is offline  
Old 4th Sep 2021, 11:45
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: FNQ ... It's Permanent!
Posts: 3,756
Skytrans?

Originally Posted by minigundiplomat View Post

I believe they have a website. Canít miss him, he loves the mediaÖ..
Alan Milne appears once on the Skytrans websiteÖ. He is the CEO after all.

Capt Fathom is online now  
Old 4th Sep 2021, 14:23
  #12 (permalink)  
NCD
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seth Afrika
Posts: 125
Bit harsh in your comments there I feel Kagamuga.

From what I understand, no-one believed he could EVER fix PX, but there were a hell of lot that hoped he could ....and there were also quite a few that were surprised he managed to hang in there as long as he did.

But you know what, I seriously believe that when he left , he was able to do so with his integrity intact. Bit of a badge of honour for someone who was employed within a PNG SOE, especially PX.

Lukim yu.
NCD is offline  
Old 5th Sep 2021, 08:47
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Darwin and PNG
Age: 50
Posts: 1,170
I think Alan was probably a victim of the COVID mess like most of us. He was certainly a great asset to ANG, particularly in a difficult time after the 737 accident that occurred just before he started.

I also noticed they have another two recent ex PNG blokes in management, both of whom have a good reputation in the industry.
Duck Pilot is offline  
Old 5th Sep 2021, 11:34
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: PNG and Cairns
Posts: 221
NCD, you are correct. Post removed.
Kagamuga is offline  
Old 5th Sep 2021, 21:46
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: QLD
Posts: 555
Originally Posted by Kagamuga View Post
NCD, you are correct. Post removed.
And yet I thought it was a fair post & accurate post
geeup is offline  
Old 6th Sep 2021, 01:39
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: PNG and Cairns
Posts: 221
geeup, so did I, alas others think otherwise.
PNG politics I'm afraid.
Kagamuga is offline  
Old 6th Sep 2021, 04:25
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Cairns
Posts: 1
Last week some of their pilots were asked to take a 1 day pay cut.
Maddogyamaddog is offline  
Old 6th Sep 2021, 05:21
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Montreal
Posts: 13
Skydung airlines

Skytrans (the original) was a great regional airline when the Barnardís owned it. Great people, great atmosphere and a great place to work. Once the Wildís got their grubby hands on the airline, along with the then CEO Mr Siva, they kept growing the airline by purchasing ancient Dash 8ís during the mining boom. They didnít have the brains to foresee a likely mining downturn or levelling off, so suddenly the mining boom tanked they were left with old buckets for planes with not enough utilisation. The slippery Wilds blamed their demise on REX winning government contracts but that is a load of BS and the blame lays at their own incompetent feet. They got greedy and had a posse of wan#er executives running the place and running it poorly. A number of these tools have bounced between Skytrans, APNG, and Skytrans Mk2. They went bust and since 2013, which includes their partial resurrection by West Wing, they have had financial issues constantly, made people redundant, not secured contracts, had unreliable old clunker Dash 8ís and theyíve been through around 5 CEOís. Itís a miracle that COVID hasnít killed them off, again.

It was a once good airline. If I could turn the clock back somewhat I would be more than happy to fly for them again, pre the Wilds. However the shonky Wilds ruined a good airline but dreaming about becoming some kind of massive player in the aviation industry, and they broke the airlines back, but not before squirrelling many millions out the back door before she went bust.
Epicurus is offline  
Old 7th Sep 2021, 11:17
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dunnunda
Posts: 100
Originally Posted by Epicurus View Post
Skytrans (the original) was a great regional airline when the Barnardís owned it. Great people, great atmosphere and a great place to work. Once the Wildís got their grubby hands on the airline, along with the then CEO Mr Siva, they kept growing the airline by purchasing ancient Dash 8ís during the mining boom. They didnít have the brains to foresee a likely mining downturn or levelling off, so suddenly the mining boom tanked they were left with old buckets for planes with not enough utilisation. The slippery Wilds blamed their demise on REX winning government contracts but that is a load of BS and the blame lays at their own incompetent feet. They got greedy and had a posse of wan#er executives running the place and running it poorly. A number of these tools have bounced between Skytrans, APNG, and Skytrans Mk2. They went bust and since 2013, which includes their partial resurrection by West Wing, they have had financial issues constantly, made people redundant, not secured contracts, had unreliable old clunker Dash 8ís and theyíve been through around 5 CEOís. Itís a miracle that COVID hasnít killed them off, again.

It was a once good airline. If I could turn the clock back somewhat I would be more than happy to fly for them again, pre the Wilds. However the shonky Wilds ruined a good airline but dreaming about becoming some kind of massive player in the aviation industry, and they broke the airlines back, but not before squirrelling many millions out the back door before she went bust.
Careful Epicurus, posts telling the truth about "Wild Air" tend not to last long here for some reason.
The above is sadly all true I don't know many of the players in TryTrans Mk3 these days and I do wish Mr Milne & Co all the best.

Being there at the time I remember clearly when all this began. The original Skytrans being a mainly C404 operator, was going through growing pains and needed extra capacity on the CNS - AUR service. Their solution was to cross hire a QRA Dash8 in their livery to service the run, a very nice paint job it was too
The "Not So Wilds" headed up by Thick Minee in those days made their move and took over Skytrans, later re branding (IPA/QRA) to Skytrans as they had a far better reputation. First time in history that I can recall where a regional airline has rebranded in the name of a piston operator, such was (still is) the reputation of the Barnard's.

As for massive player delusions, not wrong. At one time the "plan" was to merge QRA with APNG to create some sort of North Queensland / Melanesian super carrier all the while tooled with same ex Sunnies old hundy series clunkers. What could possibly go wrong.

BAz

Last edited by beached az; 7th Sep 2021 at 11:33.
beached az is offline  
Old 10th Sep 2021, 00:39
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Asia Pacific
Age: 50
Posts: 1,951
Originally Posted by CAVOK92 View Post
Word on the street is Skytrans have made some operations staff redundant, citing cash flow issues. I wonder if they will still go ahead with their CS-PN-RK service?
Whats the go with the cashflow issues? 90% of the traffic is cairns based pax travelling to and from CY and the straits. The lockdowns in SYD and MEL should have minimal impact on their mainly monopoly routes. Something doesnít smell right.
minigundiplomat is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.