Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Climate Change and YSSY crosswinds?

Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Climate Change and YSSY crosswinds?

Old 26th Nov 2019, 02:27
  #81 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 150
Too true. Have a conversation with any credible expert at any science organisation or school in this country.
By your own admission to be a credible expert
Theyre considered experts because they are repeating what actual climate scientists say.
all you have to do is repeat what climate scientists say! So if I want to be considered an expert I should start a group called "Pilots for Climate Change Action" and squarwk like a parrot on the subject. Then I can start a Go-Fund Me campaign to help me spread the message that a group of concerned pilots want action on the climate emergency. While I am at it I might as well start an Instragram page so that I can be a climate emergency influencer. Oh yeah I can probably stop being a pilot because all my followers can fund my new lifestyle.

The climate change argument is more about economics than emergency. From modelling and forecasting to changing the way money can be made from one business model to a new business model. There is a reason a sizable part of the population is sceptical.
Lookleft is offline  
Old 26th Nov 2019, 02:36
  #82 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 522
Originally Posted by Lookleft View Post
By your own admission to be a credible expert
Never have, just directing you to where credible scientists have published their findings so you can read them yourself.

The climate change argument is more about economics than emergency. From modelling and forecasting to changing the way money can be made from one business model to a new business model. There is a reason a sizable part of the population is sceptical.
No, it’s about the science of how human activity is changing the global climate. The money argument is seperate. Read some of the links I’ve posted to the research conducted by credible scientific organisations and get back to me.
dr dre is online now  
Old 26th Nov 2019, 02:41
  #83 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 522
Originally Posted by Rated De View Post
The hapless Mr Andrew David is neither interested in climate science, nor much a reader.
He was interested in deflecting away attention from a cancellation rate that is beginning to impact his self enrichment "bonus" enshrined in OTP.
You can make that argument. But it is a fact that the prevailing westerlies have been stronger and more frequent this year in YSSY and that has necessitated the use of R25 more often, slowing the flow rate. Any discussion around that fact and how to mitigate it (increased use of 16/34 in crosswinds, curfew dispensations, speeding up building the second airport) got very quickly drowned out by the usual “it’s all a hoax” deniers who appear on any thread where the words climate change are mentioned.
dr dre is online now  
Old 26th Nov 2019, 03:05
  #84 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 150
But it is a fact that the prevailing westerlies have been stronger and more frequent this year in YSSY and that has necessitated the use of R25 more often, slowing the flow rate.
So from the one fact you are extrapolating that it is a result of climate change. Or the fact of stronger and more frequent westerlies could be attributed to an aberration in the mean strength and occurrence over the period in which wind speed at Sydney Airport has been kept. Thats the problem with the science of climate. It takes short term data points, plots them on a graph and looks forward in time to a point it thinks it will keep going to. Reminds me a lot of Alan Kohlers economic graphs. Yet economic downturns always seem to take the economists by surprise.
Lookleft is offline  
Old 26th Nov 2019, 03:17
  #85 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 522
Originally Posted by Lookleft View Post
So from the one fact you are extrapolating that it is a result of climate change.
Actually I haven’t.

If you go back to the first post on this thread I made I pointed out that AD himself in the article posted doesn’t specifically provide a quote to link the increased westerlies to climate change, yet the headlines shouted that he did. As the thread went along it brought out the typical “it’s all a hoax” deniers so I simply posted links to scientific evidence from organisations like NASA to counter those statements.
dr dre is online now  
Old 26th Nov 2019, 03:59
  #86 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 150
This is from the SBS website:
Qantas executive says flight delays caused by climate change
hardly a right wing conspiracy station. So is SBS lying, deliberately distorting the truth to fit in with their climate change emergency agenda? You cannot have it both ways in claiming its the right wing media outlets doing a beat up and claiming that all the other media outlets are just quoting the scientists. Your words:
Or just pro “saying what the scientists say”.
.

This is why people are sceptical. There is no consistency in your argument other than, the sky is falling. Like I have stated before, people of a certain age group have heard it all before about the imminent end of life as we know it. So let me make a couple of assumptions. You were born late 80's, grew up in the 90's and learnt to fly in the noughties (I am assuming you are a pilot, if you are not then I acknowledge that I am wasting my time). You missed the hysteria over acid rain Y2K and were aware of Sept 11 on the periphery. It is not your fault that this is the first "global crisis" that you are aware of as an adult but don't go around calling people morons because they don't share your point of view.
Lookleft is offline  
Old 26th Nov 2019, 04:56
  #87 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 51
Lookleft says it’s all just another scare campaign as he’s seen it all before. Therefore must be.
TimmyTee is offline  
Old 26th Nov 2019, 05:16
  #88 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Great South East, tired and retired
Posts: 2,482
Don't forget that the hole in the Aerozone layer during the 80s caused easterlies and blew all the kiwis over here.
Ascend Charlie is offline  
Old 26th Nov 2019, 05:57
  #89 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 150
Thanks AC I forgot about the hole in the ozone layer. No TT I am only talking about my experience, an experience which resonates with a lot of people I talk to, but an experience which shapes my view of the hysteria that surrounds the climate emergency narrative. If I was to state that my viewpoint is the only one that matters and that all other viewpoints are postulated by morons and deniers then you would have a valid point.
Lookleft is offline  
Old 26th Nov 2019, 06:35
  #90 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,560
What the hapless, Andrew David hoped has been achieved: A throw away line to non curious journalists is accepted as the reason for declining OTP.
OTP is keenly watched as he benefits handsomely from it (not that he has any impact at all).

It might well be that crewing issues, maintenance related cancellations or any other myriad of management induced stupidity from Fort Fumble are actually responsible for the OTP decline.

Andrew David spends endless days bumbling around Fort Fumble looking for the famed scapegoat.
Climate change will do...
Rated De is offline  
Old 26th Nov 2019, 06:55
  #91 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: South of the North pole
Posts: 220
Originally Posted by dr dre View Post


Please provide links to verified studies (not blog posts) for your claims:

“MAN MADE GLOBAL WARMING which was completely debunked”

“claiming its MAN MADE is a touch much dont you think”

Here’s some studies and info for you to read:

The 97% consensus on global warming

The Causes of Climate Change

Scientific Consensus: Earth's Climate is Warming
Those are not actual studies completed under the scientific standard of being able to prove or disprove a theory. They are just articles. Show me the actual studies/papers where if you were to walk into a court of law you could say under oath that 'MAN MADE GLOBAL WARMING/CLIMATE CHANGE' has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt.

You cant because it does not exist. Where did the 97% figure come from, plucked out of thin air no doubt. When you can produce the actual studies that have proven this you can claim it to be true, until then it is just wild guessing...

Remember the claim of all of this is the climate is changing due to 'MAN MADE' activities, not natural cycles occuring which nobody disagrees with.

All those scientists that claim man has changed the climate have merely put forward their theories but not one has definitively proven anything!!
Daddy Fantastic is offline  
Old 26th Nov 2019, 07:00
  #92 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: QLD - where drivers are yet to realise that the left lane goes to their destination too.
Posts: 2,155
I’m more referring to the over 12,000 peer reviewed studies that confirm the fact that climate change is caused by humans:
Hardly likely to get a balanced result when the below assumption is used

frankly, every scientist doing climate research knows humans are causing global warming.
So while there is no actual empirical measurable proof that we are causing climate change, it doesn't matter because they all know we are.
Traffic_Is_Er_Was is offline  
Old 26th Nov 2019, 07:05
  #93 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: South of the North pole
Posts: 220
Originally Posted by directimped View Post
I didn't realise so many pilots were also qualified climate scientists, who knew?
You mean like 16 year old GRETA THUNBERG and all her worldly knowledge and life experience.....got it!!
Daddy Fantastic is offline  
Old 26th Nov 2019, 07:18
  #94 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: South of the North pole
Posts: 220
Originally Posted by dr dre View Post


You can make that argument. But it is a fact that the prevailing westerlies have been stronger and more frequent this year in YSSY and that has necessitated the use of R25 more often, slowing the flow rate. Any discussion around that fact and how to mitigate it (increased use of 16/34 in crosswinds, curfew dispensations, speeding up building the second airport) got very quickly drowned out by the usual “it’s all a hoax” deniers who appear on any thread where the words climate change are mentioned.
So using the argument above or facts above that you have posted please explain how this is MAN MADE....as this in essence s the whole argument. MAN MADE GLOBAL WARMING/CLIMATE CHANGE has somehow shifted the winds around Sydney...

You wonder why most of us think it is a HOAX, accept for all the LEFTIES as usual!!

Look at EXTINCTION REBELLION or whatever they are called, if you take those people seriously you need your head read!
Daddy Fantastic is offline  
Old 26th Nov 2019, 08:15
  #95 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 921
Originally Posted by Traffic_Is_Er_Was View Post
So while there is no actual empirical measurable proof that we are causing climate change, it doesn't matter because they all know we are.
Proof? Maybe not.

But evidence beyond a reasonable doubt? Definitely.

It can be proven in a back yard experiment that increased CO2 in air retains more re-radiated heat than air. As can be proven, methane and water vapour.

It can be proven that global CO2 levels in the atmosphere have increased significantly (and almost linearly) since they started measuring it in the 1950’s in Hawaii.

It can be proven that humans have been the cause of a massive increase in CO2 emissions (and methane) in recent times through the enormous consumption of fossil fuels, deforestation and farming.

You actually don’t need to be a climate scientist to understand the above. Where it gets difficult is working out whether the above will have sufficient impact on the climate to be of major concern.

If the scientists say “yes” then we need to act. How much do we need to change our ways, and how much are we prepared to pay? That’s when economics gets involved and thats where it gets political.

It is affecting the climate, that is beyond reasonable doubt. What to do and how quickly? That’s politics, and that’s when the people with money to make in the short term don’t want to know about it. And one of those people owns at least half the media in this country. And that affects politics.




Last edited by Derfred; 26th Nov 2019 at 10:36.
Derfred is offline  
Old 26th Nov 2019, 08:20
  #96 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 522
Originally Posted by Daddy Fantastic View Post
Those are not actual studies completed under the scientific standard of being able to prove or disprove a theory. They are just articles. Show me the actual studies/papers
You cant because it does not exist. Where did the 97% figure come from, plucked out of thin air no doubt.
All those scientists that claim man has changed the climate have merely put forward their theories but not one has definitively proven anything!!
Everyone one of those quotes can be disproven from a link I’ve posted. The studies referred to are contained in those links. Look harder.
dr dre is online now  
Old 26th Nov 2019, 08:27
  #97 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 522
Originally Posted by Daddy Fantastic View Post
You wonder why most of us think it is a HOAX, accept for all the LEFTIES as usual!!
Nope.

Lowy Institue Poll this year:

Climate Change

As you can see from the first graph 61% of Australians believe climate change is a significant threat and should be addressed with the highest concern, 28% believe Climate change is a real problem but can be addressed over time and only 10% believe climate change has not been proven.

That 89% who believe climate change is real, 10% who don’t.

So do you need me to explain what the word “most” as in “most of us think it’s a hoax” really means?
dr dre is online now  
Old 26th Nov 2019, 08:30
  #98 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 51
That’s a lot of green voters Dre!
TimmyTee is offline  
Old 26th Nov 2019, 08:31
  #99 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ferrara
Posts: 370
As in "most of the people in my Golf Club..."
Asturias56 is offline  
Old 26th Nov 2019, 10:15
  #100 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 921
Atmospheric CO2 since measurements started in 1958:



Fossil fuel consumption:




Now, whilst the above two charts don’t “prove” anything, the correlation is sufficient to be worthy of further research, maybe?

But we are pilots, right?

You know, like if I plotted my mixture levels against cylinder head temperature, and saw a correlation, I might conclude that cylinder head temperatures might have something to do with my mixture levels.

But if the Bolt Report says that anyone suggesting that mixture levels have anything to do with CHT is a socialist tree-hugging drug-addict on welfare full of leftist scientific crap, then...
Derfred is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.