Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Qantas Recruitment

Old 23rd Sep 2018, 09:11
  #1941 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 358
Once they have enough aircraft for daily services they will be flying 90 stick every 28 days
So flying about 300 hours a year over the legal maximum or do they each get 12 weeks leave a year?
Beer Baron is online now  
Old 23rd Sep 2018, 09:25
  #1942 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: sydney
Posts: 754
As I’m sure you know only six weeks and rosters will be adjusted at bidding for limits. Again and it’s only my opinion that where this is headed is under fatigue manipulation (woops management ) to 1000 hours a year.
dragon man is offline  
Old 24th Sep 2018, 05:40
  #1943 (permalink)  
POR777
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Does anyone know how long it generally takes to hear back from recruitment after reference checks and medical documents have been submitted? Thanks!
 
Old 26th Sep 2018, 22:41
  #1944 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Townsville
Posts: 95
Took 3 months to even hear back from them since finishing the sim ride and medical. Mind you, I was an internal candidate and they like to dangle the carrot for quite some time. I got a start date a few days after finding out I got the job and I’m quite glad as it actually gives me time to sell the house and relocate the family. Pretty stoked.

Last edited by Hold_Short; 26th Sep 2018 at 22:53.
Hold_Short is offline  
Old 27th Sep 2018, 02:53
  #1945 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Australia
Posts: 804
Originally Posted by Hold_Short View Post
Took 3 months to even hear back from them since finishing the sim ride and medical. Mind you, I was an internal candidate and they like to dangle the carrot for quite some time. I got a start date a few days after finding out I got the job and I’m quite glad as it actually gives me time to sell the house and relocate the family. Pretty stoked.
The extra time for internals is more about looking at the whole candidate picture and the coordination required with subsidiaries to get you. Congratulations on getting the carrot nonetheless

Last edited by *Lancer*; 27th Sep 2018 at 06:48.
*Lancer* is offline  
Old 27th Sep 2018, 05:18
  #1946 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Dirty South
Posts: 343
Originally Posted by *Lancer* View Post


The extra time for internals is more about looking at the whole candidate picture and the coordination required with subsidiaries to get you.
That right - it’s all part of a brilliantly coordinated, well organized process that involves the limits of modern computing power. Large teams gather to grind on a holistic, unified, shared mental model.

It’s incredibly powerful. It would bring a tear to the eye of most average humans.



JPJP is offline  
Old 27th Sep 2018, 22:13
  #1947 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 435
Pilot shortage to drive pilot salaries higher? Not at QF according to AJ. This won't come as a surprise to most but here is some direct insight.

The Business - ABC News

This is an interview with Elysse Morgan from ABC program 'The Business'. Jump to 5'40" if you're short on time.

AJ: "...we've got a list as long as your arm."
Elysse: "So no pay rises for Qantas pilots then?"
AJ: "Qantas pilots are really well paid! You know an A380 Captain gets paid around $400,000 a year! A starting pilot at QantasLink gets paid $80,000 a year. I think they're good salaries and a lot of people out there, a lot of your viewers, would love to have one of those jobs."

PG
Popgun is offline  
Old 28th Sep 2018, 01:42
  #1948 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 31
Originally Posted by Popgun View Post
Pilot shortage to drive pilot salaries higher? Not at QF according to AJ. This won't come as a surprise to most but here is some direct insight.

The Business - ABC News

This is an interview with Elysse Morgan from ABC program 'The Business'. Jump to 5'40" if you're short on time.

AJ: "...we've got a list as long as your arm."
Elysse: "So no pay rises for Qantas pilots then?"
AJ: "Qantas pilots are really well paid! You know an A380 Captain gets paid around $400,000 a year! A starting pilot at QantasLink gets paid $80,000 a year. I think they're good salaries and a lot of people out there, a lot of your viewers, would love to have one of those jobs."

PG
AJ must have forgotten the number of years pilots have spent in GA making less then someone flipping burgers along with the loans we took to become pilots.
Flydawg is offline  
Old 28th Sep 2018, 04:36
  #1949 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: sydney
Posts: 754
Originally Posted by Flydawg View Post
AJ must have forgotten the number of years pilots have spent in GA making less then someone flipping burgers along with the loans we took to become pilots.
He wouldn’t care less.
dragon man is offline  
Old 28th Sep 2018, 06:47
  #1950 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Brisvegas
Posts: 2,671
Icarus2001 is offline  
Old 29th Sep 2018, 03:04
  #1951 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Outer Marker hut
Posts: 181
Not like AJ to lie by omission though.
bazza stub is offline  
Old 29th Sep 2018, 09:01
  #1952 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: australia
Age: 69
Posts: 834
As Icarus2001 shows graphically , AJ has a lot of kissing of the Blarney Stone to do in order to convince the general public that his pilots are over paid when his remuneration , per DAY, is equivalent to the Average Aussies wage per YEAR !
Bit hard then to paint the pilots in a bad light when those sort of figures are realised !
blow.n.gasket is offline  
Old 29th Sep 2018, 11:47
  #1953 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Earth
Posts: 1
I wonder if the public knows Mr Joyce makes more in a month then an A380 capt makes in a year, trying to make it sound like pilots are overpaid, and isn't the base pay for a new Qlink FO in the High 60's????
Outsiderlookingin is offline  
Old 29th Sep 2018, 21:45
  #1954 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Outer Marker hut
Posts: 181
Doubt the public would care about his salary. The public just hate the thought that we pilots sit there doing “nothing” while the machine does all the work AND getting paid hundreds of thousands to do it.....pilot salary bashing is a sport.

Dont forget AJ has all that responsibility
bazza stub is offline  
Old 29th Sep 2018, 23:24
  #1955 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Wherever I can log on.
Posts: 1,674
I see that QF A380 Captains have had a pay cut - when Joyce shut the airline down, he stated that A380 Captains were being paid more that $500K, now they’ve dropped to “over $400K”.

Everything that comes out of his mouth is absolute BS but he sees it merely as blarney.
Going Boeing is offline  
Old 16th Oct 2018, 22:37
  #1956 (permalink)  
Keg

Nunc est bibendum
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 5,176
My understanding is that they do.
Keg is offline  
Old 17th Oct 2018, 00:30
  #1957 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Enzed
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by Telfer86 View Post
Do the NZ based QF group pilots at Jetstar NZ and Jetconnect also have these rights ?
Yes. JC crew are already checked to line in the mainline system anyway, so I understand there's no sim assessment.
fullnoise is offline  
Old 17th Oct 2018, 01:01
  #1958 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 32
Originally Posted by Telfer86 View Post
Do the NZ based QF group pilots at Jetstar NZ and Jetconnect also have these rights ?
Both were at the assessment day in July, with the JC fellow already having a start date early next year while the JQ boys and girls (both AUS and NZ) still waiting to hear.
Sparrows. is offline  
Old 17th Oct 2018, 21:14
  #1959 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: DXB
Posts: 4
Many guys on the hold file for over 12 months now.

Rumour is that they will cut the bottom 20%.

Qantas recruitment is a disgrace.
Al Barsha South is offline  
Old 18th Oct 2018, 00:40
  #1960 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 34
Do internals have to do a sim assessment? My understanding was that if you had been with the group for 24+ months, logically no sim required due to having training and sim records.
Hearing inconsistent messages on this though..
TimmyTee is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.